Modern black rifles vs older surplus battle rifles ?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Modern black rifles vs older surplus battle rifles ? within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; I notice on a lot of prepper pages they usually have modern battle rifles like the AR. Im more of a .30-06 garand guy myself. ...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Modern black rifles vs older surplus battle rifles ?

I notice on a lot of prepper pages they usually have modern battle rifles like the AR. Im more of a .30-06 garand guy myself. Lets say... Other than the rate of fire is there any reason everybody appears to be choosing these rifles ?
    See in my mind "simple and time tested" is the way to go. So im not getting this AR craze.

ARs are great, so are Garands. I split the difference and shoot a Mini-14. LOL.
    Last edited by sideKahr; 11-16-2014 at 08:04 PM.

For me, the AR platform was designed as a modular, easily customizable, "jack of all trades, master of none" platform. In short, it's the Swiss Army Knife of firearms. In my opinion, this is exactly what someone needs when you are prepping for an unknown event.

I respect the Garand. It is an excellent firearm. The .30-06 is a superb round. Excellent accuracy, massive stopping power. How is your rate of fire? Bullets are expensive, and heavy. Your rifle is heavy. How about attaching a flashlight? Convertible optics? Length of rifle for close engagements? How easily will you find replacement parts after TSHTF? Easy to field strip, with little or no tools? How's that recoil?
    Blackcat, Slippy, Suntzu and 3 others like this.
    Friends don't let friends own Glocks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

It comes down to what you are comfortable with and what situations your likely to face. m-1 garand, ak-47, sks, ar-15, fal, and so on. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. Same with side arms. Figure out what you like and stock pile what ammo, parts and accessories you will require. Maybe even a back up or two.

The ar-15 is a good rifle and is current issue. Many here in the states have familiarity with it. Ammo is common as are parts and accessories. Its accurate and does the job. I have an affinity for the AK-47 but I am trading some accuracy and range for dependability and function in abysmal conditions. Surplus garands or 30-06 bolt action rifles will work just fine like an 03 springfield or 1917 enfield. They are just better or worse depending on the requirements on hand. Rural vs urban. Close encounters, human waves sniping, hunting and so on.

Just my own personal observations.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

Many of us own both and more than a few of them. The M1 Grand was a fine weapon in it's day and still ok for long shots in the right hands but it is a beast .
    The 1903 Springfield a fine weapon to have History in your hands but again a beast. Both were designed to fire the 150 gr 30-06 there are better options today in a 308.
    Neither the M1 or the 1903 are very flexible. Another older military rifle that is great to own in the 303 Enfiled.
    The AR splits the best of both world and does it very well.
    The romance of these weapons takes on a different meaning when you actually own and fire them.
    Some eye candy for you one of my 1903's I still shoot.
    Modern black rifles vs older surplus battle rifles ?-1903.jpg
    Last edited by Smitty901; 11-16-2014 at 08:29 PM.
    Slippy, Boss Dog and Notsoyoung like this.

I had a hell of a struggle with that one as well. I went back and forth on that one for quite a while. Finally, I decided on several of both.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

Some really good points. Now I want an AR lol. Im nowhere near any sort of populated area so waves of trouble arent too likely. No place to bug out too because im already there. I figure I could run into some individual medium range situations or occasional small groups at close range. Most common firearms here would be hunting rifles and shotguns. No automatics. So thats what id expect to see in most cases. This tells me rate of fire and weight of the rifle arent of huge concern. For me its... Reliability, range, accuracy, and versatility of caliber. I would love something semi auto that handles and feels a lot like my SKS but has power closer to a .308 in a readily available round but doesnt cost much more than 800. All that aside... Great replies helped me answer that question!

I wonder what a 1903 in in real good shooting condition would cost now days never bother to keep up with the prices OR even a M1 Grand

I am betting they would bring as much if not more than a new Ar if they are Springfield's and in the right condition. I know I was offered 650 for my 1903 and 800 of my M1 some years ago.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 11-16-2014 at 08:45 PM.
    Blackcat likes this.

The old lock systems on a gun. The term "lock stock and two smoking barrels" came from the stock, the barrels, and the lock mechanism that sets off the powder. I think the m-1a/m-14 was supposed to be the last gun with a lock. Theres a way to pull it out by the trigger guard. I have a person preference for cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    I wonder what a 1903 in in real good shooting condition would cost now days never bother to keep up with the prices OR even a M1 Grand
    I bought Mrs Inor a national match Garand last year for Christmas for around $1100. It had been glass bedded too. It may be a heavy beast, but holy smokes is that thing accurate!
    bigwheel likes this.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links