Modern black rifles vs older surplus battle rifles ? - Page 7
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Modern black rifles vs older surplus battle rifles ?

This is a discussion on Modern black rifles vs older surplus battle rifles ? within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; My M1 Garand is deadly accurate! M1 Garand with Scout Scope for Hunting:...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Modern black rifles vs older surplus battle rifles ?

My M1 Garand is deadly accurate!

M1 Garand with Scout Scope for Hunting:

Not my final location. Headed to the deep south, prefer swampland.
    Black rifles my butt. Do you want to go up against an AK or an AR with 19th century technology? You do?

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by luminaughty View Post
    The reason for the 223 was it was light and smaller thus a soldier could carry more farther.......
    The REAL reason the US military ended up with the Armalite rifle firing a 223 was pure politics. (AR=Armalite Rifle).
    The M16 was adopted in the early 1960's by the Air Force. Gen Curtis Lemay wanted the rifles for airmen to guard the flightline. Originally it was not meant for a combat infantry weapon. At that time Robert MacNamara was the Sec Defense and he was a techno/gadget freak. He had some wacky ideas (the MacNamara Line in Vietnam is Exhibit A). He saw this new rifle and decreed that ALL branches of the military MUST adopt this new technology. Regardless of what the Pentagon wanted or needed.

The 5.56 round (223) is an excellent close range cartridge and Vietnam was a close range war. However, the original M16's had major problems and men got killed because of it. Changes were made and the M16A1 was born, a good weapon for the combat of the time, provided it was kept clean (not always easy to do in combat). Moving forward, not every war is the same and subsequent wars pointed out shortcomings in both the rifle and the ammo. So there was (and still is) continual redevelopment of both.

Comparing the Armalite to the M1 Garand - thank God our WWII infantry had the Garand and not the M16.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Navy in me is a big fan of the M-14. I like pretty much every gun ever manufactured but if I had one choice in a heavy battle rifle the M14 would get my vote. My wallet says PTR91.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by csi-tech View Post
    The Navy in me is a big fan of the M-14. I like pretty much every gun ever manufactured but if I had one choice in a heavy battle rifle the M14 would get my vote. My wallet says PTR91.
    My Basic Training rifle was the M14. My stateside issue rifle in an artillery unit was the M14. The last true battle rifle issued by the US Army.
    Through a wonderful set of circumstances the money to buy a Springfield Armory M1A was presented to me. I could never have afforded one otherwise.
    She's a Standard Model, and is remarkably like those issued to me so long ago. The only accessories I have added are an M6 bayonet and an original OD green web sling. When I hold her in my arms the years slip away and once again I'm 19 and invinceable.
    Later in my tour I was issued an M16 and today have absolutely no desire to own an AR.
    Diver and Mad Trapper like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

I own ARs, M-1 Garrands and M-1 Carbines but my go to gun is a M1A Socom 16. 7.62 NATO round with a 16 inch barrel with a couple of rails for optics and lights. I have a scope on it for 200 + meter shots and iron sights for closer work. If I know I will be on foot for a long while I will downgrade to an AR simple because as you get older guns seem to double in weight.

Right now I have both an Ar 15 and an M1 grand in reach. Each has it's own qualities. In most cases I grabbing the AR. but if the BG is 700 meters out Then The M1 is the way to go. If I have to carry it a long way The AR. If I can sit here and wait on them M1.
    The Ar is far more flexible, but no 1 weapon is prefect.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

simple and time tested.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcat View Post
    I notice on a lot of prepper pages they usually have modern battle rifles like the AR. Im more of a .30-06 garand guy myself. Lets say... Other than the rate of fire is there any reason everybody appears to be choosing these rifles ?
    See in my mind "simple and time tested" is the way to go. So im not getting this AR craze.
    Have you ever stripped down an AR. They are the definition of simple.
    Ammo less expensive
    Faster rate of fire
    Replaceable magazines
    Carry more rounds of ammo in less space
    The entire system is lighter to carry
    Mount any accessories or optics man has conceived.
    Life expectancy by total cycle rate is double

Their is a reason every army in the world that can afford to has switched over.

Yes fax machines worked well however this new e mail thing seams to be catching on.

I guess it is my service indoctrination talking, but I'll take the AR platform and day. Be it older brother for range and power or little brother for weight, control, ammo cost, etc.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    My Basic Training rifle was the M14. My stateside issue rifle in an artillery unit was the M14. The last true battle rifle issued by the US Army.
    Through a wonderful set of circumstances the money to buy a Springfield Armory M1A was presented to me. I could never have afforded one otherwise.
    She's a Standard Model, and is remarkably like those issued to me so long ago. The only accessories I have added are an M6 bayonet and an original OD green web sling. When I hold her in my arms the years slip away and once again I'm 19 and invinceable.
    Later in my tour I was issued an M16 and today have absolutely no desire to own an AR.
    RPD here is My M-14 Modern black rifles vs older surplus battle rifles ?-photo-40-.jpgModern black rifles vs older surplus battle rifles ?-photo-41-.jpg Out fitted with ACOG and PVS 14
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    {GM Consulting Service}
    Revolutions Started, Lions Tamed,
    Assassinations Plotted, Bars Emptied,
    Governments Run, Widows Wooed,
    Uprisings Quelled, Wars Fought, Golf Matches Fixed,
    Pack Trips Guided & Lost

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sponsored Links