Modern black rifles vs older surplus battle rifles ? - Page 6
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Modern black rifles vs older surplus battle rifles ?

This is a discussion on Modern black rifles vs older surplus battle rifles ? within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; I have a M1903-A3 and love it. If the SHTF I can definitely see a use for it, and to a lesser extent, my Mosin. ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Modern black rifles vs older surplus battle rifles ?

I have a M1903-A3 and love it. If the SHTF I can definitely see a use for it, and to a lesser extent, my Mosin. These are rifles that if you looked up the word "reliable" in the dictionary you would see pictures of them. Reliable and powerful. Some taking cover behind the engine block of a car? Using the 03-A3 with a FMJ 165gr 30-06 round, no problem. Powerful and reliable firearms. But my main SHTF rifle will be my AR. Another very reliable rifle, regardless of the problems that the M16 had when first fielded over 40 years ago. It's just hard to overlook a platform like that with the firepower that it gives you.

Gunny R. Lee Ermey; AK47 versus M16

James m likes this.
    And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;... Genesis 16:12

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcat View Post
    I notice on a lot of prepper pages they usually have modern battle rifles like the AR. Im more of a .30-06 Garand guy myself. Lets say... Other than the rate of fire is there any reason everybody appears to be choosing these rifles ? See in my mind "simple and time tested" is the way to go. So im not getting this AR craze.
    I guess that depends on how long a "time" you mean? Considering the AR has been around since about 1963. I would say it would qualify as time-tested. As far as the Garand, it's in a head hitting caliber, and accurate, but it's heavy to lug around all day and limited in the number of rounds it holds. And of course, the old debate of how many rnds of large .30-06 are you able to carry?
    Last edited by bushrat; 11-22-2014 at 05:54 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcat View Post
    I notice on a lot of prepper pages they usually have modern battle rifles like the AR. Im more of a .30-06 garand guy myself. Lets say... Other than the rate of fire is there any reason everybody appears to be choosing these rifles ?
    See in my mind "simple and time tested" is the way to go. So im not getting this AR craze.
    Simple why the AR is more popular. They are plentuifull, shoot a light recoiling load, thats easy to carry lots of ammo, and lots cheaper to buy and shoot than a Garand. A good cheap surplus weapon would be a mosin nagant.

I have shot many rifles from many countries from many eras. I shot a French MAS but it was finicky, I shot an 8mm German Mauser but the ammo was prohibitively expensive, I shot an M1 Garand but it didn't like the pressures of modern 30.06 ammo, I shot a Japanese Arisaka but it was not very reliable. I own a Mosin Nagant Type 53 that shoots well but is still a bolt action, old battle rifle. I own a type 53 SKS that is a blast to shoot and cheap to buy and shoot as well. When it comes to what I will grab when S%^T goes South it's a PTR 91, an FN FAL, my M4, AK 47 or an M 14. That is all.
    Slippy likes this.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

I just stripped and cleaned a mini 14. It is twice as difficult as an ar.

Quote Originally Posted by alterego View Post
    I just stripped and cleaned a mini 14. It is twice as difficult as an ar.
    Really ? My Mini-14's are a piece of cake to field strip. What was you're problem ?
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

The reason for the 223 was it was light and smaller thus a soldier could carry more farther. If you want a 223 less likely to jam in harsh enviroments than the AR you can also get a mini 14 or a 223 AK. The AR is more accurate but the accuracy for the mini 14 and 223 AK is plenty good enough for a combat rifle. I can fit sixteen 20 round mags and seven 30 round mags fully loaded for a mini 14 in a canvas bag less than half the size of a small gym bag. But make sure if you get a Mini 14 to ONLY buy factory Ruger mags since aftermarket mags are known to jam. If they are not stamped with the Ruger name and logo they are not Ruger mags.

Although my AR will be my primary rifle, I have decided to go a different route if the SHTF scenario should occur. Since my bug out location is my home, I have my AR, my two 03-A3's (one customized for hunting, one in original condition), my Mosin-Nagant, SKS, and Lee-Enfield. That is my plan, but is it my plan for if the SHTF, or my plan to justify buying a bunch of military surplus firearms? Only I know for sure. On my "to-do" list, or should I say "I would like to have" list, is a M1A1, a Garand, M1 carbine, an AK, and and and, whatever I want later, depending on if I can convince my wife that we "need it if the SHTF". Can't be too prepared I always say, and if it is also a good excuse to get something that you want, then life is good.

Lets be honest anything that goes bang beats a rock or a knife . The AR a so called jamming are a thing of the past. Not uncommon here to see Gas piston Ar's in the 5.45X39 Russian caliber Simple conversion really. Many like to use the gas piston for it because the ammo is known to be a dirty round.
    My 1903,M14 and M1 grand all weight in around 13 pound each with out ammo. Non are very good in close quarters. That is not a defect it is not what they were designed for.
    The AR was but will still reach out in the right hands. It is also an easy weapon to learn to shoot well. AK are good for up close and personal heavy not very accurate and the round falls off fast but up close it will clear the area. If I have to grab a run I am taking the AR. Flexible light and I have a lot of experience with it .
    When the lights go out, when SHTF go with what you know.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Sponsored Links