Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Recommend a WMR .22

5K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  RedLion 
#1 ·
I have received a large supply of CCI WMR .22. In keeping with my way of doing things I will not sell it . I have never fired the round, never looked at the round until now. So give me the short course what can it do not do. And recommend a rifle or maybe a neat hand gun that fires it. Is it worth spending on a higher end rifle or a standard good enough?

#7 ·
#8 · (Edited)
Yep, have 2 Savage model 93's in 22mag both are same hole shooters at 50 yards. Would have a CZ but the Savages shoot so nice I can't get rid of them.

Had one of the early PMR-30's and what a POS. Never have had more problems with a weapon. Quickly got sold for a major profit at a gun show.

I know you like those Rugers. How about a Ruger Precision in 22mag.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com...nge-review-ruger-precision-rimfire-in-22-wmr/

Kills things a lot better then a 22lr.

#10 ·
Amen!
The 22 WMR in a handgun is a good farm tool/barnyard defender, it gives you more power than a 22LR out of a rifle in a much handier package.
I have two Single Sixes, and 3 Heritage Arms.
One of the Heritage is the 3" barrel, birdshead grip model - it fits perfectly in the back pocket of my jeans, no holster required.

If you want an affordable DA revolver, the Taurus Tracker 22WMR comes in 2", 4" and 6".
I believe Charter Arms makes one as well.

Several people have mentioned the Savage Model 93 bolt action. I bought one because it was the only left handed bolt I could find. And I am very pleased with it. Mine has a wood stock because I'm old fashioned, I think they have synthetic also.
I put a cheap Walmart 4X fixed scope on it and have no problem getting a 2" group at 100 yards.

The 22 mag is a niche caliber. Good for small game hunting, some people shoot coyotes with it, but I personally believe it's too light for a humane kill.
My main adversary would be raccoons after my chickens, the 22 mag is perfect. The red foxes leave my chickens alone, so I leave them alone.

#15 ·
I will never barter ammo or weapons. I be darn if i will hand someone what they will latter use against me.

#17 ·
That reminds of something my friend did - he got a Taurus Judge, fires 45 LCP. He went to the LGS and asked for some "45 ammo", they duly sold him a bunch of 45 ACP. We're at the range and he's, "Check out this sweet new pistol!" I admire his cool Judge, he slips a round of 45 ACP in the cylinder, which sinks nice and deep. He asks, "Umm, is it supposed to do that?", I'm, "Nope, wrong ammo, you need 45 LCP." Him, "Well what shoots this ammo? I've got a ton of it." Me, "Well, a 1911-style 45 is a solid choice..." A month later, and that 45 ACP he bought is all gone now. Problem solved!

Oh, and I also highly recommend the Kel Tec PMR 30. You'll be rid of that ammo in no time.

#19 ·
Good snag. High dollar stuff and a great round. Know the ammo technolgy has improved but back in my day the ammo was loaded with slow burning rifle powder and it took a 16" barrell to make it shine. Out of short barrell gun like a derrining it was more flash and bang and not much improvement over a .22 LR. Guessing the critical defense stuff could make that better. Dont believe I would be interested in shooting much of it except out of a rifle. Old pard o mine had a bolt action Marlin that handle it well. Supposed to be highly popular with outlaw deer hunters lol.

#21 ·
I have a PMR30 and do not think as highly of it as others. It is fun to shoot, but it is ammo finicky and has feeding issues. If anyone gets one, never use Armscor, as it simply does not work in the gun. CCI and Hornady is what I would recommend. Unless you have the mags perfectly loaded, you can expect feeding problems. I would not bet my life on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.