Washing ammo
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Washing ammo

This is a discussion on Washing ammo within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; You some how leave a 9mm round in a pocket. Wash it on a long wash cycle with some dirty clothing. Then it goes in ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Washing ammo

Washing ammo

You some how leave a 9mm round in a pocket. Wash it on a long wash cycle with some dirty clothing. Then it goes in the dryer . Will it fire or not? I have been told as long as I can remember oil was a bigger threat to ammo than water .
    While yall thinking about this I am going out a find out.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 03-25-2020 at 05:59 PM.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Ok this was 1 round. 50 feet it hit target dead center. I have many times in the field had ammo get wet and it worked also. No plans to make washing my ammo in a Sears HE3 and drying it a habit .

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.

Whoever said it is right, oil is the bigger threat.

All the ammo I load into magazines has the primers sealed with lacquer by me.

WD-40 will kill primers if allowed to get on them, it is thinned out enough to wick right in.

One time back on a sub caliber range with an M1 tank I was commanding, we were issued /cal. 50 APTI.

M1 not an A1, it had a 105 MM M68 gun mounted, the A1 has a 120 MM smooth bore.

Was early ammo, 50's vintage I think, this a long time ago, was in master gunners school.

When we peeled back the top soldered tin cover, the case was filled with ammo and water that somehow seeped in.

The links were rusted but held together.

Now that ammo fired at about 85% of the time.

Took one round and pulled the projectile out, case was filled with water.

I think that water had been in there for years.

Poured the powder out on to the top of the turret between the TC and loaders hatch,

and lit it up with a cigarette lighter and it burned!
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 03-25-2020 at 06:52 PM.
    Denton, Slippy, Boss Dog and 2 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

Agreed about the water.
    I accidentally left two rounds of 20 ga in my pocket and washed that load of clothes. No problem.

I have read that oiling the cylinder bores of a revolver after cleaning, and then leaving it loaded for a period of time will cause misfires.
    Slippy and Denton like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Agreed about the water.
    I accidentally left two rounds of 20 ga in my pocket and washed that load of clothes. No problem.

I have read that oiling the cylinder bores of a revolver after cleaning, and then leaving it loaded for a period of time will cause misfires.
    It is more the oil on the back of the frame that comes into contact with the case base that causes primer failure.

With unjacketed lead ammo the beeswax lube on the bullet keeps the oil and water out almost 100% of the time.

The primers are the culprit in almost all cases, that is why all military ammo has them sealed, including shotgun ammo

The same can happen with the round chambered in any auto, oil on the face of the slide.

As said before, I seal all ammo I put into mags or cylinders that will sit there for a long time.

I don't waste my time with it on ammo for range use.

It is easy to seal the primers, use fingernail polish,

I use to get a dirty look when going through the cash register line with a few bottles of it.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 03-25-2020 at 06:51 PM.
    Smitty901, 0rocky, KUSA and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Ok this was 1 round. 50 feet it hit target dead center. I have many times in the field had ammo get wet and it worked also. No plans to make washing my ammo in a Sears HE3 and drying it a habit .
    Curious about what round this was? Was it a self-defense round that likely was sealed from the factory, or a reload that you sealed?

Quote Originally Posted by stevekozak View Post
    Curious about what round this was? Was it a self-defense round that likely was sealed from the factory, or a reload that you sealed?
    factory cheap ball target bulk ammo. UMC brand
    stevekozak and Denton like this.

Just for fun dropped 9 rounds in some water. Let them soak a week and see how they do. Bulk UMC 9mm. Each day I will pull one out and fire it any bets on first failure?
    Last edited by Smitty901; 03-28-2020 at 07:35 AM.
    Slippy likes this.

First round 24 hours under water. 50 hit target prefect .
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Just for fun dropped 9 rounds in some water. Let them soak a week and see how they do. Bulk UMC 9mm. Each day I will pull one out and fire it any bets on first failure?
    I'll bet all will fire.
    SOCOM42 and Smitty901 like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links