2 Rifles versus spare parts. - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

2 Rifles versus spare parts.

This is a discussion on 2 Rifles versus spare parts. within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Originally Posted by Snake_doctor M16A4 is still in production by FN Herstal, though I believe it is now relegated to rear echelon service. M16A4 was ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: 2 Rifles versus spare parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake_doctor View Post
    M16A4 is still in production by FN Herstal, though I believe it is now relegated to rear echelon service.
    M16A4 was the lasted issued M16 it was never a full issue personal weapon. The difference in the A3 and A4 was the rail system. The m4 was on the way it would come ready with a rail to mount all kinds of tools to it. The A4 version was meant to fill gap until full issue of the m4 platform. It may surprise many but the 20 inch barrel of the m16 offered no real time advantage over the 16 inch m4 .
    It was not that long ago infantry has no standard optics,reddots, laser ect. They were issued on an needed . Then the m68 reddot was issue one to a fire team /squad. it proved so good that it was soon a full issue. The flood gates were opened with the coming expansion small unit focus. Next thing you know the infantry soldier had a long list of tools they were either already issue of could have with ease. The weapon platform need a fast reliable way to mount and change tools as needed.
    As with most US military weapons serviceable weapon remain in inventory for years after they have been replaced. They can be requested and issued.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 02-26-2020 at 05:54 PM.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Snake_doctor View Post
    What do you mean not an operator? I thought you rode with Wyatt Earp back in the day?
    I cut my teeth with the 5th Florida Infantry Regiment. We were with General Longstreet at Second Manassas, Sharpsburg, Antietam, Fredricksburg, and Chancellorsville.
    We were with Pickett for the attack on the Union center on the 3rd day of Gettysburg.

I've been a rifleman for a long time.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

The Good Cop

Get an AK.
    They were designed, and made, for illiterate barely trained tribesmen from the steppes of Russia to use.
    They won't easily break, will function under conditions that would send an AR back to the rear for repair.
    In fact, it is not even necessary to clean one. It won't hurt it to do so, but not really necessary.

Comparing the AK and AR to vehicles, the AR is a Ferrari. Sleek, sexy, very fast, high performance. High maintenance, too.
    The AK is a Mack truck, powered by a Caterpillar diesel. Will run forever with simple oil changes.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Get an AK.
    They were designed, and made, for illiterate barely trained tribesmen from the steppes of Russia to use.
    They won't easily break, will function under conditions that would send an AR back to the rear for repair.
    In fact, it is not even necessary to clean one. It won't hurt it to do so, but not really necessary.

Comparing the AK and AR to vehicles, the AR is a Ferrari. Sleek, sexy, very fast, high performance. High maintenance, too.
    The AK is a Mack truck, powered by a Caterpillar diesel. Will run forever with simple oil changes.
    Dig it up out of the ground rinse it off in a mud puddle and put it into service.
    rice paddy daddy and Slippy like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

Get an AK.

Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Dig it up out of the ground rinse it off in a mud puddle and put it into service.

2 Rifles versus spare parts.-ar-ak-owners.jpg
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Actually tests have indicated the AK's famed reliability is overestimated and the AR is being underestimated. An AR will hold it's own in mud etc due to being a closed system, the mud will get into an ak and cause issues. that said, the AK you can simply clean the mud out by rinsing it out in a stream or puddle. And overall the AR needs more cleaning due to the direct impingement system that certainly is true, they get dirty just from shooting and it stays in there, however an ak still needs to get a occasional visit from doc bore snake and doc oil.

So please let us be adults and stop with this emotional attachment to pieces of machinery and the myths that come with it. Both platforms are viable and have their pro's and cons, facts matter myths don't.

PS: To those that served in Vietnam and base their opinion on how unreliable their m16 was, I am sorry you were screwed over by penny pinching bureaucrats they are the ones to blame, not the rifle.

Slippy likes this.
    Who dares, wins. 1st Para BN 1946 - 2010

Nobody is saying either platform isn’t a decent option. The fact is the AK is a much simpler weapon that will still function reliably with very minimal maintenance. So if you are a newbie with very little firearms experience, the AK may be a better choice for you.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

Don't forget a little range time with your rifle(s) so you don't miss the broad side of the barn..........
    Slippy and Snake_doctor like this.

I never zeroed either the 16 I was given familiarization training with prior to shipping out, nor my issue 16 in Nam. Too damn much trouble adjusting the front sight post for elevation. I hope that’s one thing they fixed on later models.
    I can understand a vet cleaning and recleaning an M16. Same with the old M60 machine gun. Dirty weapon = your death.
    We used to have pipe cleaners sent from home by our families to keep the gas system clean on the Mattey Mattel M16.
    To those of us who were originally issued M14’s, we were not impressed with how easy the M16 got too crudded up to function in a tropical environment. It’s not the same as a sunny day at the range.

I have looked longingly at the “retro” models of AR’s, but in order to buy one I’d have to sell an equal dollar value of guns to have the money.
    Was just arguing with a liberal about those guns yesterday. They jammed up enough to get folks killed and they was rumored to have got issued without a cleaning kit which musta been what the pipe cleaners were for..not to even mention a fast running 22 aint the ideal weapon for jungle warfare. That would be a .12 gauge pump with buckshot lol. Seen a few pics of those who had one or maybe a browning semi auto. The Liberal say they got em took away due to political correctness.

The Good Cop

After 60 YEARS of Research and Development the Armalite rifle SHOULD be a well polished turd by now.

I’m sorry, I do not worship at the altar of the Almighty Black Rifle.

Truth be told, if my compound was under attack, I’d rather have my M1 Garand.
    30-06 holes make invisible souls.

Y’all are free to own and shoot whatever you want.
    At least until Bernie gets elected.
    Mad Trapper and SOCOM42 like this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links