Musings on the Budget AR15
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Musings on the Budget AR15 within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; A good article on how the AR15 platform has dramatically improved over the years while producing very reliable and affordable variants for Americans. It took ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Musings on the Budget AR15

A good article on how the AR15 platform has dramatically improved over the years while producing very reliable and affordable variants for Americans.

It took a demoncrat president and EIGHT YEARS of panic buying to fan the flames of the AR15 market. This hot market caused numerous manufacturers to enter the arena and they produced some amazing advancements in the AR15 platform… rails, triggers, optics, furiniture, etc. etc. we could go on all night! Most importantly, in my opinion, was the competition and ensuing price reduction… making it cheaper to enter the AR15 market with a higher quality firearm than we had in years past.

A rifle which, according to Henderson Defense, keeps going and going on their rental line.

That’s right. His PSA went 39k rounds before a bolt broke. That’s roughly $10k in ammo costs that rifle ate before it failed. To be fair, Ron says elsewhere that Colt bolts last the longest, but also elsewhere he noted that a HK416 was a waste of money due to it key holing well before it should have. Se le vie. I would be pretty happy with my budget blaster going 39k rounds.

So, in all honesty, today’s budget AR15 has closed the performance gap between basic and premium AR15’s quite a bit. I recognize that quality control from unit to unit may favor a higher priced AR15… that’s life. Every manufacturer has a lemon, and possibly more PSA’s may leave the line and need to be returned for QC issues… but they also produce something like 700+ serialized firearms and or receivers per day. That’s clown shoes. That’s nutso. I hope during the great igloo that PSA airdrops shovels AR15s out the back of their mass produced B57 bomber nockoff to arm the resistance. They have the capacity.
    Musings on the Budget AR15: Or why PSA is Better than Budget Rifles of Old.
    Slippy, Inor, Prepared One and 1 others like this.

Back in my gun nut days the AR clones were high dollar and the Mini 14s were available for chump change. Still aint figured out how them two guns changed places like that
    RedLion, Chipper and Boss Dog like this.

I have a Springfield St. Edge top of the line AR. I also have a Del-Ton lower/spikes upper mix master. Both are equally reliable, both very light, accurate and user friendly. The Saint was over 1000.00, the Del-Ton was under 500.00. Same gun in my book.
    RedLion, Slippy and Chipper like this.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Competition is good and because of competition we now have some great quality inexpensive AR's.

Son1's PSA AR pistol is a sweet little shooter. Not enough rounds to comment on reliability but out of the box it appears to be a solid purchase.

But there were also some quality old rifles too. My old Century Arms C15A1 has thousands of more rounds than any 3 or 4 of my more expensive "boutique" AR's and was half the price. The C15A1 has NEVER had a failure to fire or eject and is "heart sized MOA" at any distance I will ever need it with Iron Sights. Plus I love the retro Carry Handle and sights.
    Last edited by Slippy; 12-09-2019 at 12:53 PM. Reason: correction
    Inor and RedLion like this.

I said it before and will say it again. The AR 15 and Ar 10 Are the most flexible weapons ever in history. They can with ease be made to fit most any need . More parts to customize it on the market than many others combined.
    From budget to tack driver you can't go wrong with an AR platform
    Prepared One and RedLion like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I have what I need should things go south but I am thinking of adding an economical AR (500 Bucks or so) myself here in the next month. An AR10 platform in 308 is on my list as well after the first, some type of 308 battle rifle. I am thinking the M&P 10. It gets good reviews at about a 1000 bucks. I am all over it. Anything other then that would be wants rather then needs. I want all my needs and perceived needs done by the end of 2020.
    RedLion likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

The Good Cop

If you do not already have a good rifle, an AR would be a prudent purchase.
    I already have quite a few good rifles, several much better than any AR.
    Diversity is good when it comes to firearms.
    Smitty901 likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    I already have quite a few good rifles, several much better than any AR.
    That of course is your opinion as many including the military would disagree.

The Good Cop

That just may be that unless they are machine gunners they have never used anything but 5.56 in combat.
    Granted, the 5.56 NATO will get the job done but it’s foolish to have to shoot someone more than once.
    The 80 year old US Rifle Caliber 30 M1 , commonly known as a Garand is better in every category except magazine capacity.
    And yes that is my opinion
    Mad Trapper and bigwheel like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

If They would have had the manufacturing ability The AR10 would have hands down been chosen and there would be no M14. They knew when the selected it it was wrong. That is why it was the shortest issue weapon ever. The AR10 out did it in every way.
    They knew that . Research the history. The m14 was many problems 1 big one is it was not very accurate unless a lot of work was done to it . The AR10 is nothing but and enlarged AR15 .
    I have an m1 Garand it is cool but not anywhere near an AR10.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links