Musings on the Budget AR15 - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Musings on the Budget AR15

This is a discussion on Musings on the Budget AR15 within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Originally Posted by RedLion The Garand weighs significantly more, is more difficult to load and certainly is not more accurate. A soldier can also carry ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Musings on the Budget AR15

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by RedLion View Post
    The Garand weighs significantly more, is more difficult to load and certainly is not more accurate. A soldier can also carry a significant amount more ammo more conveniently available in 20 & 30 round magazines. The AR15/AR10 can be had in multiple calibers and in some case, just a swap out of the uppers changes the caliber. If the Garand was superior it would still be in use. The 30-06 round is a great round and is very common in use for hunting.
    An AR weighs 6.5 pounds empty.
    A Garand weighs 9 pounds empty.
    Anyone that has trouble humping an extra 2.5 pounds needs more PT every morning. Either that or get rid of non essential items on your person.

I gave the AR the thumbs up on magazine capacity.

As far as ammo, you have to carry more with an AR because you need more. 5.56 NATO can not perform to the level of the 30-06, and .223 Remington is less powerful than NATO.

The WWII rifleman's web pistol belt held 10 en-bloc clips. Two USGI bandoliers over the shoulders is another 14 clips. Total, 192 rounds, plus 8 in the rifle. This was standard carry for a rifleman in WWII. A few more bandoliers were often issued before an attack, but not always.

In the Vietnam War, the basic infantry ammo load was two to four bandoliers, each holding 7 magazines of 20 rounds (loaded to only 18 to ensure proper functioning), for a total of 280 to 560 depending on number of bandoliers. The maximum was not often carried because each rifleman would usually tote a claymore mine or two, plus one or two 100 round belts of 7.62 for the M-60 gunner.

Of course, this is all academic for a civilian living in this country. And, one 30-06 in the center body mass will put a bad guy down. Might not kill him right off, but he will be down.
    Can't always say that with 5.56 or .223.
    dwight55 and Boss Dog like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Well you could add the AK and SKS, commie guns Instead of denigradging two fine US service rifles.

Durabilty? Ask RPD about AR vs AK.

Any serviceman bitch about a Garand/M14 jamming?
    Why would I ask RPD about the reliability of the AR or M16 platform when I have many more years in military service with it in addition to owning, building and shooting numerous AR's. Todays ARs are as reliable as any other rifle. Folks are stuck in the past and need to move into the present on facts.

Folks are not being honest when the presume that Ak's or ruskie rifles are more reliable and durable than AR's. Another myth.

Such as....
    Some of our M4’s have well over 200,000 rounds down range. Barrels have been replaced, gas tubes have been replaced, BCG’s have been replaced but what sets it apart from the AK47’s is that upper and lower receivers continue to function. AK’s get to about the 100,000+ round count and rails on the receiver will start to crack. It’s an easy fix with tig welding but they crack. We have yet to lose an upper or lower AR-15 receiver from cracking
    https://firearmusernetwork.com/2016/...me-conditions/

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Don't you mean a steaming pile of turd?

RPD?

You used to be able to a SKS for $150
    I paid $319 + tax at the Ace Hardware in Callahan, Florida for my AKM. It came with two 30 round mags, sling, butt stock cleaning kit, bayonet and scabbard.

My Chinese SKS was free - a gift, along with 1,000 rounds of Chinese military surplus ammo.

Nope, I don't need an AR. I've got military and military clone rifles covered. Bolt actions (different countries), M1 Carbines (2), Garand, M1A, SKS, AKM, and some I've probably forgotten. And a Mini 14 for 5.56 NATO - a farm rifle for coyote.
    I can kill an intruder just as dead with my Winchester 94 than with an AR. Or my Remington 7400 deer rifle (30-06 of course). I can go up to 45-70 if there's something REALLY big messing with the horses.

Now, if someone was just starting out in the rifle world, they should consider an AR. A lot of people like their AR's, and that's fine.
    I just don't need or want one. Nor am I convinced they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    Like Sly and the Family Stone sang years ago "Different strokes for different folks."
    Boss Dog likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by RedLion View Post
    Folks are stuck in the past and need to move into the present on facts.
    Why? Our cars were cooler, our music much better, and then there were Hippie Chicks.
    Come to think of it, our guns were cooler too. There's not a plastic pistol today that can match the beauty, grace, and charisma of the Colt Single Action Army revolver, or the 1952 Smith & Wesson 44 Special Target Model revolver.
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 12-09-2019 at 09:29 PM.

The topic was, due to popularity, the AR-15 has become an excellent budget-minded rifle, and even lower-end models can hold up well. The difference between a stock Colt and a Palmetto State M4 variant are almost negligible at this point, and that's a good thing!
    Parts are ubiquitous and easily interchanged even with minimum gunsmithing skills. Due to the flexibility of the platform, if 5.56 isn't your bag, swap the barrel and start putting .300 down range. If that doesn't rev your engine, an upper receiver swap can have you sending .50 Bewoulf... or even .50BMG if you're cool with single-shot (and since the round can kill a building, who needs more, lol).
    Want to plink? A simple conversion kit (BCG and magazine) allows it to fire dirt cheap .22lr.
    Since the "firearm" is just the lower receiver, can anyone tell me a more versatile platform that can be customized to suit just about any need?
    One lower, registered as a "pistol" from its birth, can open up the world of possibilities, since it can then be a pistol *or* a rifle and fill numerous roles with just an upper swap.
    From .22lr to .50BMG, and everything in between, the AR-15 platform is an awesome system that everyone should have the opportunity to enjoy in one flavor or another.
    RedLion likes this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Why? Our cars were cooler, our music much better, and then there were Hippie Chicks.
    Come to think of it, our guns were cooler too. There's not a plastic pistol today that can match the beauty, grace, and charisma of the Colt Single Action Army revolver, or the 1952 Smith & Wesson 44 Special Target Model revolver.
    Cars were definitely cooler. I am also a fan of metal and wood firearms. I have a number myself.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

Our cars were cooler but no were near as fast or as good in handling. While the new ones require more knowledge and tools to work on they run for many years and miles more with much work.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I love my PSA middie,all I added was a toolcraft bcg and a Rise Armament drop-in 3lb.nice!.

My Stag and S+W are nice also but,not from the price point.
    TOUGH TIMES DONT LAST,TOUGH PEOPLE DO.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsored Links