Cabela's covenant scope
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Cabela's covenant scope

This is a discussion on Cabela's covenant scope within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; I try to steer my scope purchased to camera land a sight sponsor when I can. Calling them often ends with a fair deal. A ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Cabela's covenant scope

Cabela's covenant scope

I try to steer my scope purchased to camera land a sight sponsor when I can. Calling them often ends with a fair deal. A family member dropped off a new , Cabela's covenant tactical scope 6-24X50 FFP with sun shade sale price with shipping was $210.
    First the down sides. Only 40 MOA adjustment not much but plenty for most shooters and plenty for hunters. Second the recital. This is a FFP scope on lower magnification recital is not as clear as it could be but turn it up a bit fine.
    Up side. 30 mm tube. Exposed Turrets with and side parallax. Parallax adjustments are effective. Moving the adjustment in one direct 10 and back 10 brought it back to where it started.
    Mounted the scope on a RRP 6.5 Creedmoore with 20 MOA Rail using one peace Vortex cantilever mount. Quick bore sight on the 100 yard range. First shot on paper and close shot two more. Up 2 inches and left 1/2 inch. 3 more all in the 1 inch red and the next 3 all in the same group. It was low light and the scope was clear providing a good sight picture. Sent it home.
    If a budget 6-24X50 FFP is what one of your firearms needs or you would like a spare for future use. This is a budget scope that would be worth a look. I am trying my best not to take a ride to Madison and get one.
    bigwheel and Slippy like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Thanks for the info Smitty @Smitty901
    I was at BassPro yesterday looking to see if they had a long gun and scope I would be interested in.
    (For clarification, BassPro Shop acquired Cabela's in 2017 for $4 billion https://fortune.com/2017/09/26/bass-...cabela-merger/)

Quote Originally Posted by SierraGhost View Post
    Thanks for the info Smitty @Smitty901
    I was at BassPro yesterday looking to see if they had a long gun and scope I would be interested in.
    (For clarification, BassPro Shop acquired Cabela's in 2017 for $4 billion https://fortune.com/2017/09/26/bass-...cabela-merger/)
    The scope would likely not be for your 1600 yards Shooter . But darn sure would be fine for any hunting or shoot out to 500 yards. In The FFP type that i more of a personal choice and how you use it. VS a SFP that most have.
    here it seems the have both names on the building now days. I am no fisherman bot I enjoy visiting Bass PRO when on bike trips. The one in Memphis TN is amazing.

Camera Land the a sight sponsor often has great deals on scope.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 11-05-2019 at 04:14 PM.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

It is winter time. So we decided to mount one of the Cabela scopes to a 338 and see how it holds up.

Woke up to 1 degree below zero at 0330. Drank pot of coffee while making wifes breakfast, got her off to work. Took Payton to school at 0700 it was 5 above. Good day to mount a cope inside. Removed the Athlon scope and scope rings. Mounted new Low scope rings and the Covenant scope. I am not going out there to zero it today. I could but I am not. There is no way the Covenant scope is on the level the Athlon is. Both are 6-24X50 FFP but they are at different levels and price range.
    The reason I am putting the Covenant on the 338 is to see if it can hold up and will at least be acceptable . It will not stay on the 338 but this second Covenant will end up on a hunting rile or an AR10 308.
    First picture is 338 with Athlon mounted second is the Covenant. The Athlon was mounted with high rings. The Covenant with low ones the bell clears by 3.07mm Plenty of clearance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cabela's covenant scope-20191108_082950-1-.jpg  

Cabela's covenant scope-20191108_110717-1-.jpg  

15 rounds of 250 grain 338 down range did not break it ...yet

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    But darn sure would be fine for any hunting or shoot out to 500 yards.
    Smitty, I'm not sure even the best of us can make that shot, even with a scope.

At the old public target range in Deerfield, Wisconsin, most of the guests and members used the 100 yard range. The best of the best could stand and hit a beer can at that range, with a seated member hitting a tennis ball.

One time I visited a friend of mine who lived near a range a short walk from his house. I was planning on taking a rifle to South Dakota, and I knew prairie dogs would be harder to hit than imagined. Experience at another range proved I could only hit at the longer range with a 'group' easily covered with a "shoe box lid." Not a stunning revelation. It took many times to tighten that down if I was going to scratch with the big chickens in The Dakotas.

I believe my bolt action of the time was a 7mm08. That would have been just a duck shot, and I wanted to carry at least one pistol. Truth be told, I did manage to "scare" one rodent...
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post

At the old public target range in Deerfield, Wisconsin, most of the guests and members used the 100 yard range. The best of the best could stand and hit a beer can at that range, with a seated member hitting a tennis ball.

One time I visited a friend of mine who lived near a range a short walk from his house. I was planning on taking a rifle to South Dakota, and I knew prairie dogs would be harder to hit than imagined. Experience at another range proved I could only hit at the longer range with a 'group' easily covered with a "shoe box lid." Not a stunning revelation. It took many times to tighten that down if I was going to scratch with the big chickens in The Dakotas.

I believe my bolt action of the time was a 7mm08. That would have been just a duck shot, and I wanted to carry at least one pistol. Truth be told, I did manage to "scare" one rodent...
    500 yards is not hard at all . The 338 can do 1,000 yards easy, 1,5000 in well train hands and 1,750 or more under the right conditions if you do your part.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 11-16-2019 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    500 yards is not hard at all . The 338 can do 1,000 yards easy, 1,5000 in well train hands and 1,750 or more under the right conditions if you do your part.
    Smitty, thanks for the update. I think the problem here is "access." If I lived in The Dakotas I'd have lots of room to practice. My suburban area is about eight miles away from Madison proper. The places to shoot are perhaps 100 yards at best. And oy, vey, the yearly cost of organized private range is more than I want to pay for a few trips to the range over a year to check the accuracy of any and all firearms I might own.

My wife's a suburban girl. She likes the 'burbs and even considers the area "rustic." If I ever moved to an area where the deer and the antelope roam my wife would wonder out loud, "Now how can I order a pizza...?"
    Smitty901 likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post

Uh, I had to qualify at 1,000 meters with an M-21.
    I used to be a member of the local gun club where I grew bored with the 400 yard rifle range.
    500 yards is nothing.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links