300 Win mag brass
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

300 Win mag brass

This is a discussion on 300 Win mag brass within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Posting this in response to another thread which has gone off point. Top 5 pieces are rounds we had to pull down after a failure ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Chipper
  • 1 Post By Dirk Pitt

Thread: 300 Win mag brass

300 Win mag brass

Posting this in response to another thread which has gone off point.

Top 5 pieces are rounds we had to pull down after a failure to extract and jam. The bolt would drive the next round into the back of the case not extracted in the chamber. This would drive the bullet into the new round case trying to be chambered. Causing an unsafe compressed load. Not sure on chamber pressure but would definitely effect accuracy. The one upside down case was actually bent and compressed the brass. From the Watchman.

The 2 cases on the right are from my Patrika that actually tore the case rim. Leaving the case stuck in the chamber. Of course they had to be knocked out with a rod.

Bottom 6 are showing "some" of the damage to the cases for the rounds that actually worked. However are damaged to the point of being unsafe to reload, IMHO. From the Watchman.

Now I'm not a gunsmith so take this info for what it's worth. Just showing my experience and justifying my recommendation of not buying one. Need to point out that both rifles the Patrika and Watchman are some of the most accurate rifles I've seen. For 4k to 6.5k I think they should reliable and safe. Maybe it's impossible to run a 300 Win mag semi auto in an AR type platform.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 300 Win mag brass-dsc02468.jpg  

RedLion likes this.

I'm not framiliar with those two 300 win mag platforms. How do the bolts lock up and what sort of gas systems?

Could the problem be with the ammo? Do the manufacturers specify ammo/loads/COL.

I know M1/M14/M1A have special sections for reloading in the Hornady manual. You need to watch your bullet weights and powder burn rates. Hot loads that are fine in a bolt action can damage a Garand type action

I have friends who are long distance shooters and use 300 winmag. They are always complaining about Hornady and Lapua brass. They are avid reloaders and shoot all kinds of higher power rounds. .308 Lazaroni, Creedmore, etc. I guess what brass it is and who makes it can be a big consideration.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by csi-tech View Post
    I have friends who are long distance shooters and use 300 winmag. They are always complaining about Hornady and Lapua brass. They are avid reloaders and shoot all kinds of higher power rounds. .308 Lazaroni, Creedmore, etc. I guess what brass it is and who makes it can be a big consideration.

If the brass is not beat up already, another thing to check is the sizing dies and are they adjusted to size for the guns chamber. A Wilson case gauge, to check sizing is good to have. Autoloaders are tough on brass. Does sized brass fit in chambers O.K.?

Always trim cases after sizing, and make sure COL is O.K. will cycle action/bullet not touching lands.

One more thing, might want to check the rifle chambers with go , no go gauges
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 10-02-2019 at 03:26 PM.

It's the factory ammo that the manufacture Nemo recommends for the rifles. Nosler and Federal match don't remember the exact grain.

Basically a standard AR just a whole lot bigger.

Back when I had the Patrika I tried numerous combinations of bullet weights, powders and grain weights and it made no difference. Manufacture sold custom loads for the rifle at 90 bucks a 20rd box that was required to run in the rifle. YEAH right. Wouldn't give me any info on reloads and stated shooting anything but "their" ammo in the rifle voids the warranty. So down the road it went.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    It's the factory ammo that the manufacture Nemo recommends for the rifles. Nosler and Federal match don't remember the exact grain.

Basically a standard AR just a whole lot bigger.

Back when I had the Patrika I tried numerous combinations of bullet weights, powders and grain weights and it made no difference. Manufacture sold custom loads for the rifle at 90 bucks a 20rd box that was required to run in the rifle. YEAH right. Wouldn't give me any info on reloads and stated shooting anything but "their" ammo in the rifle voids the warranty. So down the road it went.

Could have disected a few of the factory loads. What was COL, case trim length, how do cases fit in a case gauge, bullet mass and profile, and wt of powder. Also measure their case dia in a few places compared to factory ammo

They might just have reamed a tight chamber and normally sized cases would jam. Hence checking the chambers with go, no go gauges, and trying a sized case for fit in chamber. If it was a tight chamber a gunsmith could ream it to fit .

Their loads might just have been made up using their own sizing dies. A way to force you to buy their ammo at $5 a pop.

They make AR style rifles in .338 Lapua and the Barret is a similar semi-auto. Surely a .300 is doable.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

Not really related to the post, except for. Caliber but just a few weeks ago I picked up 46 once fired 300 win mag cases laying on the ground. I was the only guy there so no one to ask. I don’t own a 300 win mag! I am a reloader so I couldn’t pass it up. Somebody must have a lot of money to throw away, that factory stuff is not cheap.
    Mad Trapper likes this.
    "Every day above ground is a good one" Author KO

I have personal question for you.

I am a writer, and I tend to slide into the "trashy science fiction" area. Lots of heroes and villains.

I saw your name "Dirk Pitt" and my hero, 'Cutter,' needs a mercenary of equal prowess to tromp across his fictional continent to save The Red Queen--who hates him.

...my second banana needs a name like 'Dirk Pitt'...
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Sponsored Links