Short range report 338 Lapua - Page 2

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Short range report 338 Lapua

This is a discussion on Short range report 338 Lapua within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; At some point in your life it becomes ok to have a few things you would never have spent the cash on in the past. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Short range report 338 Lapua

At some point in your life it becomes ok to have a few things you would never have spent the cash on in the past. Other priorities came first. I free admit a 308 6.5 Creedmoore will shoot father than most will ever even attempt. A low cost 30/30 will put deer in the freezer all season long. Either will take any animal you will hunt and surely defend the the homestead. Not everything in life needs to be practical. If so we would never move on to new things. Like many good part of my life was spent living a conservative life . A wife that kept me focused on what what important at the time and in the future. After years of that system working you reach a point you can have a few things that make no sense. And while you can't take them with you , you can leave them for the next generation to enjoy. It would be fun to listen to the story of why in the heck did great grandfather have that ........ fill in blank. There are a few surprises coming for them down the road.
    A well made accurate firearm is a work of engineering and art. If nothing more than punching paper or ringing steel they are a pleasure to shoot. How do you justify anything like the 338 Lapua ? You don't, doing so is a waste of time. When Ruger makes it possible to have one for under $1,600 it is no longer a huge budget buster.
    This one will not waste away in the vault. It will be shot from time to time. It will provide some that would other wise never have a chance to fire one that chance.
    $2.50 a round, I watched people pay that for a shot of some booze. So I guess it comes down to were you choose to spend that disposable cash .
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Excellent report Smitty!

(Slippy needs/wants/desires a 338 Lapua Magnum but knows it will cost him THOUSANDS of dollars to clear enough trees so that he can take a 1500 yard shot! But maybe one day...)
    bigwheel likes this.

Memo to Slippy: Import a family of beavers to clear those trees for free!
    Slippy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

It's nice to get your wants every now and again, it's a nice reward for towing the line. Even tho it's not a need, I would love a Browning 50 Cal. There is only one place in Houston I could shoot it that I know of and the ammo is outrageously expensive, but, it's a want. Maybe one day.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

90 bucks for 20 rounds is $4.50 a round. Shooting a 5 round group is over 20 bucks.

Now don't get me wrong the choice of the weapon isn't an issue at all. I don't think anybody was criticizing that point. Just the ammo and what manufactures charge. It's gotten way out of line, IMHO.

Reloading you should be able to be around $1.50 a round maybe less. That's not bad at all. Enjoy the new toy and keep us posted as I'm always curious.
    bigwheel and Slippy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    90 bucks for 20 rounds is $4.50 a round. Shooting a 5 round group is over 20 bucks.

Now don't get me wrong the choice of the weapon isn't an issue at all. I don't think anybody was criticizing that point. Just the ammo and what manufactures charge. It's gotten way out of line, IMHO.

Reloading you should be able to be around $1.50 a round maybe less. That's not bad at all. Enjoy the new toy and keep us posted as I'm always curious.
    Reloading will be on the list when second son gets back from the Ukraine

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.

Let us compare this to the metallic Silhoutte NRA hobby which several pals and I enjoyed doing in the 80s on the pistol segment. As long as a person stayed on what they called the hunters course..it was guns as they came from the box out to hundred meters...and things was rational. If you wanted to go play with the big boys in the upper levels open class maybe..you was faced with a dielemma called an equipment race to tump the rams at 200 meters with the pistol. Took all kinds of fancy scopes and odd caliber guns wiht precison trigger work..etc. It was even worse of a sad scenario on the Rifle part of the hobby. You needed a .308 glass embedded blah blah blah with a Weaver T-10 scope on it to shoot however long way off they shot at things. It was not for poor boy non injuneer types who got bored with reloading real quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    .22 100yards maybe a bit more. 338 lapua RPR 1,500 yards and beyond How do you worry about a couple bucks. As I said before sometimes it is just because you can
    Well I got a chance to mention the 338 Lupua to Sarge the military sniper hearted guy who hangs at the Sports Grill on Weds. He says that is a great round and his boy has one. He says a person needs a shooting range two miles long to test it out right. He also says the ammo can be found for three bucks a round at some place he mentioned but I forgot where he said right now. Found this.
    https://ammoseek.com/ammo/338-lapua-magnum
    Smitty901 likes this.

I can't justify anything larger. I can't find a place <100 miles to shoot 500 yds. I wanted a LR MLer, but then thought, where to shoot?

I can shoot 200 yds on my own land. That is a zero for rifles. About 2" high at 100' yds. For a couple I have dialed to 500 yds (06, 300WM, M1A).

What I like best is an old 700 BDL 222 rem. It shoots factory rem or win 1" at 200 yds, if no wind and I do my part, I have a 3031 load that does good/better, pressure is a lot less too.. It has a 6.5 X 20 leupold.

Smitty, if you save brass/reload, cost for shooting will be better. Find what gun likes, stock up. Maybe get to < $1/round with quality ammo too. Look at pressures vs accuracy, sometimes you can find loads that shoot well and let brass/gun live a long time. My .222 rem IMR 3031 loads are such, about 15000 psi less and same velocity.
    RedLion likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    I can't justify anything larger. I can't find a place <100 miles to shoot 500 yds. I wanted a LR MLer, but then thought, where to shoot?

I can shoot 200 yds on my own land. That is a zero for rifles. About 2" high at 100' yds. For a couple I have dialed to 500 yds (06, 300WM, M1A).

What I like best is an old 700 BDL 222 rem. It shoots factory rem or win 1" at 200 yds, if no wind and I do my part, I have a 3031 load that does good/better, pressure is a lot less too.. It has a 6.5 X 20 leupold.

Smitty, if you save brass/reload, cost for shooting will be better. Find what gun likes, stock up. Maybe get to < $1/round with quality ammo too. Look at pressures vs accuracy, sometimes you can find loads that shoot well and let brass/gun live a long time. My .222 rem IMR 3031 loads are such, about 15000 psi less and same velocity.

Plan is to reload. But son will be doing it not me. I have enough going on.
    .222 center fire Remington is a long forgoten round by many. At one time it was a well know small game round. It is the true father of the .223/5.56

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links