Shooting win mag 300
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Shooting win mag 300

This is a discussion on Shooting win mag 300 within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Bother in law shoots a 300 win mag short throw. It is a model 70 WSM Winchester makes a good weapon , but they are ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Smitty901
  • 1 Post By Smitty901
  • 2 Post By Mad Trapper

Thread: Shooting win mag 300

Shooting win mag 300

Bother in law shoots a 300 win mag short throw. It is a model 70 WSM Winchester makes a good weapon , but they are a pain in the tail. They do not support a lot of them and unless you fit a mold scope bases that are flexibility are hard to come by. Bother in law suffers from aging as most of of do. He need to move the scope back a good bit . two so called gun smith said can't be done, the third ripped him off with a set of Talley mounts that gain nothing for him.
    It came here. First issue is the base the rear needs to been a good but higher than the front or you will never get the elevation needed. The few full rials that will work seen to cause issues with shells ejecting.
    Solved it by taking a set of weaver bases that were correct for the rifle. Machined out the slots to fit Picatinny . Installed a set of Cantilever scope mounts backwards . That moved the scope back to meet his needs..
    Now the fun part zero and test it. I do not own a 300 win mag yet. It zeroed right up and It was a blast to shoot. It a light rifle like the model 70 it has some healthy recoil. On my list of long term wants is a Ruger RPR in 300 win mag.
    After playing with his I am sure it will happen in time.
    Slippy and RedLion like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

So is this a 300 win mag or a newer short mag?

I have a pre-64 M70 300 win mag that shoots like a lightening bolt. It has old school Denver Redfield mount/rings/scope 3 X 18 . It shoots better than most places I can use it/see.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    So is this a 300 win mag or a newer short mag?

I have a pre-64 M70 300 win mag that shoots like a lightening bolt. It has old school Denver Redfield mount/rings/scope 3 X 18 . It shoots better than most places I can use it/see.
    Yes it is the short WSM, because of issues with his arm he can not get up to the proper eye relief. So the scoped needed to be moved back. Going with what was on the market for that weapon nothing would work. It has one of my scopes on it now . His is old and not working as it should. I think The last person that worked on it damaged it. I'll post a picture of it when he picks a new scope.
    Mad Trapper likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Yes it is the short WSM, because of issues with his arm he can not get up to the proper eye relief. So the scoped needed to be moved back. Going with what was on the market for that weapon nothing would work. It has one of my scopes on it now . His is old and not working as it should. I think The last person that worked on it damaged it. I'll post a picture of it when he picks a new scope.
    Understood. Just don't let the scope be mounted too close, choose one with long eye relief. I've seen some eyebrows lost, not mine........and have wacked myself ,a few times, jumping deer and snap shooting at strange angles in the woods. Usually just got my nose a bit, shooting to the left.
    Smitty901 and RedLion like this.

Sponsored Links