Mini 14, range report
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Mini 14, range report

This is a discussion on Mini 14, range report within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; This past winter I bought a very lightly used Ruger mini 14, 5.56, SS, black plastic stock, 1 in 9 twist. The rifle, 3-9 scope, ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Mini 14, range report

Mini 14, range report

This past winter I bought a very lightly used Ruger mini 14, 5.56, SS, black plastic stock, 1 in 9 twist. The rifle, 3-9 scope, 6 magazines, and some ammo....... $800. The guy was getting a divorce. I thought it was a pretty good deal. It is the newer serial number so the barrel is supposed to be pretty decent.

I’ve been shooting it some. The rifle is heavy and the trigger is horrible. It is not particularly accurate. Today I played with 5 different loads to see if there is a particular powder charge the gun likes. 55 grain hornady FMJ-BT bullets and Accurate 2230 powder in 5 different charge weights from 22.5 grains to 24.5 grains. (1/2 grain increments)
    At 100 yards the gun basically shoots 2 inch groups with all 5 loads. At the lower charge weights the gun doesn’t cycle reliably. It works fine at 24.0 and 24.5 and groups 2 inches with both.

So the rifle isn’t a tack driver, although it may improve with more range time. I may see if I can improve the trigger a bit. Any of you have a mini-14? What kind of accuracy do you get? Am I being unrealistic to expect tighter than a 2 inch group?
    RedLion likes this.

The Good Cop

The Mini 14 was never intended to be a target rifle.
    Mine fulfills it’s duty as a farm rifle very well. Much better than an AR would.
    It is adequate for homestead defense as well.
    Kinda hard to make a case for self defense if you shoot someone at 300 yards.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Years ago I had a couple of the old models. Not a clean kill hunting rifle for sure but loads of fun. For a varmint rifle, four or two-legged, it's good to go. For that purpose two inches at a hundred yards would make me happy for what it is. At today's prices though I doubt I would pick another one up. an AR is cheaper and just as suited to my needs.
    Slippy likes this.
    And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;... Genesis 16:12

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Your results with performance are exactly what it was designed to do. Be happy it's a great little fire arm, it is not intended for a target rifle. Put it on your saddle bag, shoulder strap, or next to your ghsb. And it,s home. Clears a room with muzzle blast,
    Excels if fun.

The rifle is doing just it was designed to do, usable accuracy and wonderful realiability.
    Shoot it and enjoy.
    Triggers can be improved.
    Google is your friend
    My 580 series is fun, accurate enough and will run any thing.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

Super Moderator

I don't own one but it is on my short list of next rifles to get. I have a friend that owns one and we alway had fun shooting it. I agree with what most are saying here, 2 inch groups is good for what it is intended.
    rice paddy daddy and Denton like this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

The Good Cop

Y’all have to remember, not that long ago 4” groups were acceptable for the US military.
    In my lifetime. Maybe not for you young bucks.
    Mad Trapper, Denton and Slippy like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

A good friend/gunsmith said get a Browning or Garand (M1, M14, M1A).

The Rugers went through years of problems and were poorly accurate.

Back when SA was flush with USGI parts, I got a Nelson build. <$900 USD
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 05-29-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    Y’all have to remember, not that long ago 4” groups were acceptable for the US military.
    Young buck! Hah! You and I are close in age. 68 years old next week.
    I was just comparing accuracy to my ARs. But 2 inches is fine for me. I was just concerned that I was getting the most out of the gun. I will play with the trigger to improve it. All my firearms have been improved one way or another. I’m always trying to squeeze just a little more out of my guns, but truth be told, all my guns are much more capable that I am. The eyes are going bad and age is degrading my accuracy. But I still greatly enjoy shooting even if I can’t keep up with the ‘young bucks”.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    RPD, those old Springfield bolts were a fine rifle that would do better than 4". Even most Garands too.

Problem is now most recruits can't shoot. I had > 10,000 rds shot before I was 18 years old. That was when a "child" could go hunting.
    budgetprepp-n likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links