FFP scopes
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

FFP scopes

This is a discussion on FFP scopes within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; The FFP First focal Plane type scope has not been very common but is rising in the market place. Most own Second focal plane by ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: FFP scopes

FFP scopes

The FFP First focal Plane type scope has not been very common but is rising in the market place. Most own Second focal plane by a huge margin. Simple difference is SFF the radical is always accurate on the center of the cross hair but the radical For Bullet drop compensation is only accurate at one magnification . In the past that was always the highest setting, but in modern times it could be any one of the settings but only one . Up side is the crosshairs always stayed thin and crisp. FFP the scale on radical is accurate at any setting. Down side , as you crank it up the radical lines get thicker and at high magnification long range targets could be blocked by it. Times change by making the redical even finer at lower setting there is less blocking at long range with high magnification. I have used FFP many times but never owned one until today.
    Felt the need for change as I was looking at 3 scopes to put on a longer range rifle, with out spending as much as the weapon cost. It went like this, I know Bushnell and Vortex and nothing about Athon. Bit those 3 were were the options I was down to. All were 6X24X50 I wanted MOA and was bias towards SSF. Research was leading me to Athon FFP because of the radical being good even at 24X. Bushnell had a leg up do to tool less locking turrets . Vortex was just a safe bet. Considering all things the Athlon Optics Argos BTR 6-24x50mm FFP was getting more check marks in the yes side. The desire to go different put Athlon on top after a conversation with one of our sight sponsors Camera land. They are shipping it to me now. So expect a range report likely after a trip I have planned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FFP scopes-atmr-ffp-ir-moa-pwr-624.png  

New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Would have had to go with the Vortex just because they are based in WI. Have 4 of them. Doesn't really matter though with most scopes being made overseas now. At least you beat the tariff's.

Never even looked at Athlon scopes. Will be interested in your review.

I had the same discussion with myself a few years back concerning FFP or SFP, . . . and while I don't recall where I got the info, . . . I was warned away from SFP Mil Dot scopes, . . . and I would like to shake his hand for the info.

My Primary Arms 4-14 x 50 FFP Mil Dot scope is everything I can use.

I would prefer it to have been in inches instead of mils, . . . but considering all the rest I got, . . . I'll mess with mils this time.

Besides that, . . . one mil of a human being if I need it to be that accurate, . . . is way out beyond my shooting capabilities anyway.

It's clean and crisp, . . . and didn't break the bank. Fact is, I liked it enough on my M1A, . . . ordered another to go on my coyote rifle. Now I have a short range coyote rifle with a thermal scope on it, . . . and a longer range one with the mil-dot on it.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    RedLion likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    Would have had to go with the Vortex just because they are based in WI. Have 4 of them. Doesn't really matter though with most scopes being made overseas now. At least you beat the tariff's.

Never even looked at Athlon scopes. Will be interested in your review.
    I do own a few Vortex. One reason I needed another scope the vortex 6X24X50 is moving to a 308.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    I had the same discussion with myself a few years back concerning FFP or SFP, . . . and while I don't recall where I got the info, . . . I was warned away from SFP Mil Dot scopes, . . . and I would like to shake his hand for the info.

My Primary Arms 4-14 x 50 FFP Mil Dot scope is everything I can use.

I would prefer it to have been in inches instead of mils, . . . but considering all the rest I got, . . . I'll mess with mils this time.

Besides that, . . . one mil of a human being if I need it to be that accurate, . . . is way out beyond my shooting capabilities anyway.

It's clean and crisp, . . . and didn't break the bank. Fact is, I liked it enough on my M1A, . . . ordered another to go on my coyote rifle. Now I have a short range coyote rifle with a thermal scope on it, . . . and a longer range one with the mil-dot on it.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    I have the PA 4x14 FFP scope on my 6.5 Grendel. A nice scope for the price ($280) for the rifle that will hold up well and is accurate out to 1,000 yards.

FFP scopes-xpa414xffp308e.jpg

I also bought a Nikon Black FX1000 FFP scope in 6x24x50 MRAD last year for my AR.308. It is fantastic and I picked it over a vortex. I paid a little over $900 for it with the mount.

FFP scopes-16515-16516.png
    Smitty901 and dwight55 like this.

It will be a bit before testing it I will be half way to TN when it gets here. Early FFP I used would block out targets at long range cranked all the way up .Should find out soon if that is still the case. The older I get the high magnification I use.
    I can use mil Rad or MOA , prefer MOA.
    dwight55 likes this.

When are back from our trip and sitting on the table was the new Athlon scope from our Sponsor Camera land. Ok I am spoiled had to mount it before we even unpacked the bike.. First impression , the scope is built to hefty . Time will tell but it looks tough.
    Mounting was quick and easy. two rounds and zero was done at 100 yards . It was raining so only put 12 rounds down range all went were they should. Each click of adjustment was easy to feel and there was no running past what to wanted it felt good.
    At 24X the radical is thick but does not block the target.
    More to come as I get to work with it.
    RedLion and dwight55 like this.

Here is how it looks mounted .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FFP scopes-dscn1262.jpg  

Butler Ford, RedLion and hawgrider like this.

Waiting how it performs.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Ford View Post
    Waiting how it performs.
    The turrets are crisp. When you dial 3 clicks you get 3 no over runs , dial it up 20 and back 20 you end up where you started not just close like some scopes. Being a FFP I had expected the redial to block more of the target at 24X than it does. From what I have seen it is not an issue. Have not used the lighted redial yet. While the radical is busy it is not in the way . Designed to be used with many rifles and rounds. I am looking forward to a 200 yard zero and then doping it to at least 600 yards for now.
    dwight55 and RedLion like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links