Gun Show Fun

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Gun Show Fun

This is a discussion on Gun Show Fun within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Went to the gun show yesterday with some friends. We always start with having breakfast at a local greasy spoon, solve the world's problems over ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Gun Show Fun

Gun Show Fun

Went to the gun show yesterday with some friends. We always start with having breakfast at a local greasy spoon, solve the world's problems over bacon and eggs. Then meander across the street after the line disappears.

After wandering around with my allowance still in my pocket, I headed over to a dealer to pick up my order. A Winchester 1873. I've been eyeing one of these for the past few years, but never been able to put my grubby little paws on one, save for an original that was at the last show. And it was beat half to death (half the foregrip was gone, pitted barrel.... more for display than shootin'). And it was priced at $2200! So I finally scrounged up the scratch to make a modern repro mine.

Up until now, every boomstick I've ever bought has a specific purpose and/or function. That changed yestiddy when I bought one just for fun. What the heck.... I ain't got many more years on this plane. Might as well enjoy it.

And yes, I got it chambered in .44-40. Heck, if I'm gonna get a cowboy rifle, I just as well get it in a cowboy caliber!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gun Show Fun-win-1873-post.jpg  

hawgrider, stowlin, Denton and 9 others like this.
    I gotta tell you.... that sounds like a terrible idea. When do we start?
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Gun shows are just not for me. I had stopped going for a long time, then tried one for some parts I wanted right now. Paid to park paid to get in and they did not have what I needed. The next one I went to was more of a junk sale and trinkets .
    Paid to get in and what I wanted I could buy at a local store at a lower cost. Done with the phonies.
    dwight55 and Chipper like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Gun shows are just not for me. I had stopped going for a long time, then tried one for some parts I wanted right now. Paid to park paid to get in and they did not have what I needed. The next one I went to was more of a junk sale and trinkets .
    Paid to get in and what I wanted I could buy at a local store at a lower cost. Done with the phonies.
    I haven't been to one for a while, . . . but at least at the last one, . . . they had finally sold out of beanie babies.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    jimb1972 likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Awesome BPH!

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Sorry your shows suck. But not all gun shows are created equal. A lot depends on the effort put in by the promoter. And the ones in my neck of the woods do a good job.

We don't pay to park, though. Just a couple of three-dollar bills to get in. Going in with a gang, it makes for cheap entertainment.

Yeah, there's some vendors that are glaringly out of their element. Gel shoe inserts...... candles..... etc. But there's plenty of freedom dispensers, steel targets, knives, reloads and reload supplies, military surplus, antique and parts dealers, safes, optics, slings, bipods, rails, cleaning supplies, flashlights, leather goods, freeze-dried meals, knife sharpeners, suppressors, usually a rifle raffle or two....

I'd say only 15-20% of the vendors are FFLs, as most don't want to be either given the headaches that goes with being one. But I'm always on the hunt for bits & pieces as well. Picked up a titanium striker as well.

As for the prices, if I mind my p's and q's, I can generally find a bargain for something I'm looking for. Buddy picked up an AR-7 for less than I paid for mine four years ago. I also keep a list of 'decent' ammo prices so I can price-compare while there (yeah, I know all about Ammo-Seek).

Many vendors recognize me as a 'regular' now, and that can work to my advantage. For instance, one dealer will do a transfer for me at no cost if I find something out-of-state and want to buy it. I just have the local dealer send it to 'my guy' back home, they bring it to the next show and I just fill out the 4473 to get it out the door.
    I gotta tell you.... that sounds like a terrible idea. When do we start?
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

I quit going to them several years ago when some asshat at a seller's table tried to tell me I was holding a rifle wrong. Apparently 40+ years of gun handling did not qualify me to hold a rifle correctly. When I realized I was seriously pondering whipping the barrel across his fat head, I set the gun down and walked out of the show. I have not been back to one since.

BPH, congrats on the new smokepole! Those have always looked like fun!!

Nice find!

I find a lot of value in gun shows, face to face negotiation, old stuff that you won't find at most chain stores.

I started cutting back on gun shows after I paid $15.00 to get in and the first thing I saw was a both filled with Tupperware.
    Prepare for the worst, Hope for the best
    Worry about the things you can control, Plan for the things you can't

The Good Cop

Ahhh, a Model 1873 in 44-40.
    In my eyes, a much more fun, more useful, rifle than a plastic AR Technicrap rifle.
    You did good. Now you need a Uberti Cattleman Colt Peacemaker in the same caliber.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

I don't know how it is at other gun shows, in other states, but they've definitely changed around here. When I used to go with my dad in the late 70's & 80's, gun shows were a place that you could actually barter/trade, not to mention haggle over prices. Some booths now you can haggle a bit, but most not really. Even rarer to find a booth that's willing to accept trades, even as partial payment. Also when back then, they actually used to have lectures & demonstrations you could go to. Now days it's almost all just people from brick & mortar stores having a gun show "sale" at their booth with prices around the same price as they are in their store. There are huge swaths of tables taken up with people taking their CWP tests, which while I'm all for people getting their CWP, do we really need to take up 1/2 the booths in the show for CWP testing? It's been a few years since I've even gone back to one. I hope some day they will return to what they used to be, but I'm not holding my breath.
    StratMaster likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links