Sks no longer practical

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Sks no longer practical

This is a discussion on Sks no longer practical within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; With the ar market driving down prices to new lows. And the price increases for the com block sks and even mosins. I cant justify ...

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree152Likes

Thread: Sks no longer practical

Banned

Sks no longer practical

With the ar market driving down prices to new lows. And the price increases for the com block sks and even mosins. I cant justify telling a new shooter to pick one up for prepping. Pretty much steering them to the ar market for practical ease and parts.
    RedLion, jimb1972 and youngridge like this.

Quote Originally Posted by whitedeath81 View Post
    With the ar market driving down prices to new lows. And the price increases for the com block sks and even mosins. I cant justify telling a new shooter to pick one up for prepping. Pretty much steering them to the ar market for practical ease and parts.
    Good points to consider, economics and availability. I along with many others got a great deal when SKS's cost $99.00 and took advantage, the spam cans stacked high and deep to feed them.

Having enough arms and ammo to supply a squad was the goal 13 years ago, some did not have the discipline to sit on them and sold them off for good profit. I am a SKS and Moist Nuget freak, never was fond of the 91/30 but love the carbine models. The M38 and 91/59 models.......love em.
    SDF880 likes this.
    Come on you target for faraway laughter, Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine....

Banned

Yeah I did a custom mosin build should be a solid shooter

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The SKS was built as a military weapon to be used by peasant troops. The rifles were grossly overbuilt and have stood up to years of use and abuse. Lots of the low priced ARs sold today as “milspec” are in fact NOT. Some of the AR parts sold today are barely above junk status. So yes, you can buy cheap ARs. Most will probably function OK for the guy whos shoots one or two magazines 3 times a year. Many will have numerous malfuntions. But when the chips are down, I want a proven quality rifle. Not a no-name cheapy at a bargin basement price. JMHO

The Good Cop

My SKS is part of my military weapon collection.
    I have others that make a better fighting weapon, my AKM for example.
    Even better than an SKS or AR would be my M1 Garand.

I do not, not would I, own an AR. Just a personal choice.
    RedLion and jimb1972 like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Love my Russian SKS. Surprising how accurate the weapon is and always runs flawlessly. It was my dad's and he picked out a great one. It's definitely a keeper.
    rice paddy daddy and Mule13 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster23 View Post
    The SKS was built as a military weapon to be used by peasant troops. The rifles were grossly overbuilt and have stood up to years of use and abuse. Lots of the low priced ARs sold today as “milspec” are in fact NOT. Some of the AR parts sold today are barely above junk status. So yes, you can buy cheap ARs. Most will probably function OK for the guy whos shoots one or two magazines 3 times a year. Many will have numerous malfuntions. But when the chips are down, I want a proven quality rifle. Not a no-name cheapy at a bargin basement price. JMHO
    I have owned, built and shot a lot of different AR's and I can not think of any AR that I have owned/built from DPMS, to PSA, to BCA, to others that have had "numerous malfunctions." Quite the opposite really. An inexpensive AR in 5.56 will easily get a person 5,000 rounds of shooting before the barrel "could" start to falter on accuracy. I had some initial feeding and excessive recoil issues with my AR .308, but some work solved that. I am in process of fine tuning the feeding of an 11" AR pistol in 7.62x39 as the mag-M4 feed ramps-shape of 7.62x39 does not make reliable loading and cycling without work, but the ability to use the 7.62x39 round is worth it in my opinion.
    I have looked as SKS, but have not yet bought one just for the reasons that OP mentioned.

The Good Cop

My Chinese SKS and a one thousand round crate of Chinese military surplus steel core was given to me as a gift.
    For the price of one today a person could be better served with a Marlin 336 built before the Remington take over.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

SKS is a simple basic weapon. Not that great at anything but one the will do for many uses if it is what you have. The attraction to the SKS was it could be had Cheap. And I do mean cheap. Man of of us purchased ours with some ammo tossed in for $69 . And even at that time $69 was not a lot of money. I would never pay what SKS's are sell for now . To darn many out standing rifle that are affordable. I Find the OP to be spot on.
    They use to be fun to go out back a waste a lot of 10 cents a round ammo.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 03-13-2019 at 12:12 PM.
    RedLion and jimb1972 like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

The Good Cop

With military surplus weapons no longer being made, the law of supply and demand dictates rising prices.
    An SKS is “worth” whatever someone is willing to pay for one.

And every milsurp that is “sporterized” drive up the price for an unmolested example even more.
    Look at what an original Springfield Model 1903 is worth today, since so many were hacked up after WW2 when you could buy one for less than
    $20.
    Even my 1903A3 has risen in value since I paid $550 for it 15 years ago.

Although somewhere around 50 million Mosin Nagants were produced, the import ban has caused prices for these to rise beyond what people would have considered silly just a decade ago. Priced any lately?

I can pretty much sell any of my milsurp for more than they cost me. Can you say the same for an entry level AR?
    RedLion likes this.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links