Redi-catch
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Redi-catch

This is a discussion on Redi-catch within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Has anybody on here used the redi-catch (bolt catch activated by pressing mag release button) for an AR? Looks like a brilliant idea, especially for ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Texas
  • 3 Post By dwight55
  • 2 Post By Kauboy
  • 1 Post By Texas
  • 1 Post By Texas

Thread: Redi-catch

Redi-catch

Has anybody on here used the redi-catch (bolt catch activated by pressing mag release button) for an AR? Looks like a brilliant idea, especially for clearing malfunctions, or showing clear at the range. They also make the redi-mag and redi-release, but I wouldn’t have all of that extra bulk on my rifle. I do like the redi-catch system though. I have two rifles with BAD levers and I love those but this product is not sitting inside your trigger area and uses your mag release button and you can still use your bolt catch as originally designed. Nice and slim profile too.
    RedLion likes this.

Personally I don't see much use but some may.

https://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l...ct_detail&p=61
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Kind of like an answer in search of a question.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Smitty901, ekim and Denton like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Personally I don't see much use but some may.

https://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l...ct_detail&p=61
    If you have a malfunction your going to drop your mag and lock your bolt anyways. This product does it all with a single button push and a pull of the charging handle. They make lowers already designed to do this but the lower by itself costs around $350. This product is a touch under $50.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a $45 device that only assists in clearing malfunctions?
    I can't think of another situation where I would need to manually lock back the bolt. When fired until the magazine is empty, the bolt locks to the rear by design. This device would assume you still have rounds in the magazine, but want to drop the mag and open the bolt. Most malfunctions are cleared with a slap and charge. You'd be in one booger of a problem if it required dropping the magazine to clear it.

As for the Redi-Release, it seems completely unnecessary to me. Stoner designed the gun for ergonomics. When a magazine is inserted into the gun with the left hand, the thumb is within perfect reach of the bolt catch. No searching. Insert new mag, press button, fire. Simple and easy. Passing anything through the trigger guard to be activated by the trigger finger in close proximity to the trigger itself doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Both would be a pass from me.
    ekim and Denton like this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Texas View Post
    If you have a malfunction your going to drop your mag and lock your bolt anyways. This product does it all with a single button push and a pull of the charging handle. They make lowers already designed to do this but the lower by itself costs around $350. This product is a touch under $50.
    Long time carrying the AR platform and many years of them in my personal life just see no reason for it. But if others do thats great. One of the great things a bout a weapon as simple as an Ar you can so much with them.
    Trained Immediate Action on the Ar for many years.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a $45 device that only assists in clearing malfunctions?
    I can't think of another situation where I would need to manually lock back the bolt. When fired until the magazine is empty, the bolt locks to the rear by design. This device would assume you still have rounds in the magazine, but want to drop the mag and open the bolt. Most malfunctions are cleared with a slap and charge. You'd be in one booger of a problem if it required dropping the magazine to clear it.

As for the Redi-Release, it seems completely unnecessary to me. Stoner designed the gun for ergonomics. When a magazine is inserted into the gun with the left hand, the thumb is within perfect reach of the bolt catch. No searching. Insert new mag, press button, fire. Simple and easy. Passing anything through the trigger guard to be activated by the trigger finger in close proximity to the trigger itself doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Both would be a pass from me.
    Double feed would be easily corrected with this and require you to drop the mag with rounds in it. May not happen very often, but if it does a slap and charge won’t help you.
    Kauboy likes this.

Double feed would be easily corrected with this and require you to drop the mag with rounds in it. May not happen very often, but if it does a slap and charge won’t help you.
    This is very true.
    I've personally never experienced a double feed. Quality mags, and especially quality followers, usually keep this malfunction to an extremely low percentage.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    This is very true.
    I've personally never experienced a double feed. Quality mags, and especially quality followers, usually keep this malfunction to an extremely low percentage.
    I agree. Not a very common occurrence. Maybe if you had a bad extractor, extractor spring or it got damaged in heavy usage. Possibly the o-ring around the spring doesn’t hold up. By then a bolt swap would be necessary I guess, unless you had another spring or o-ring or a whole bolt carrier group. After typing that I believe I will be buying an extra bolt or BCG or two lol. BCG could be changed behind cover if you had time I guess but the bolt itself would take too long if you were in a firefight, time to get the sidearm out. A bolt alone could be stored in a pistol grip though. If it was just a one time hiccup though this product could be very effective. I like the idea behind it (the redi-catch, I don’t care for their other products, too much bulk) but when I shoot for groups at the range I like to drop the mag and lock the bolt to the rear to let air flow through the barrel for cooling after a three to five shot group as heat is the enemy of any barrel, and to show your fellow shooters your weapon is clear. So it would be handy for that as well.
    Kauboy likes this.

Sponsored Links