My New SKS
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

My New SKS

This is a discussion on My New SKS within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; So I ordered an SKS from RTI a last week and it finally got in today. Its my first rifel other then the 10/22 and ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: My New SKS

My New SKS

So I ordered an SKS from RTI a last week and it finally got in today. Its my first rifel other then the 10/22 and I am looking forward to the project of cleaning it and getting it ready for some abondant plinking. This is the Grade C from Royal Tiger Imports it was 220 dollars shipped to the FFl and 20 there for the processing. I hope to make a pretty and fucntional piece out of this. Please let me know if any of you have any suggetions or tips on how I should approch this was planning on boiling all the metal bits and then backing the stock.:D Will post some more photos once I have gotten it all cleaned up.

My New SKS-img_1459.jpgMy New SKS-img_1460.jpgMy New SKS-img_1462-1-.jpgMy New SKS-img_1464.jpgMy New SKS-img_1461.jpg
    Zed likes this.

Cool pick-up, enjoy. Does the SKS have a US/UK equivalent - something it was designed to go up against in battle?

The SKS was put into service in 1945 at the end of WW2. I suppose it could be in competition with the M-1 carbine or maybe the M-1 garand, hard to say.
    Hemi45 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

It was more like the German Stg (sturmgewehr)44 which fired a shortened 8mm cartridge (7.92 x 33mm Kurtz). The Soviets shorted their 7.62x 54R to the 7.62 x39mm. Both employed the same diameter bullet as the main rifle cartridge. The stg 44 had a detachable high capacity magazine. Both were popular at the front as most combat was found to be at 30 yards and under yet wanting more power than a submachine gun. In comparison the Garand fired a full sized military cartridge. The M-1carbine fired a less potent round not based on the 30-06 main battle rifle cartridge . Unlike the sks or stg 44 the m-1 carbine was not meant to be a front line battle rifle but a replacement for troops who other wise would be issued a pistol. To the best of my knowledge the British did not develop a similar weapon in this time frame.
    Last edited by Camel923; 10-06-2014 at 07:56 PM.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

The Good Cop

Congratulations on your purchase. The SKS is a good rifle.
    What is the country of origin, KurOn?
    Mine is Chinese.
    Before you start taking it apart and cleaning, go to this forum and learn:
    Survivor's SKS Boards - Index

p.s. - the cleaning rod is missing. No big deal, but it does make it look a little odd.
    Last edited by rice paddy daddy; 10-06-2014 at 07:49 PM.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

I'm pretty much speechless. I have BRAND NEW Delton AR-15's, life time warranty, purchased for $449 that I can't sell for $550. Yet a junk SKS is a prized possession for $250. WTF??

Hi Rice Paddy Daddy. Mine is Chinese as well type 56. Looks like this one was made in 58 I guess this was before they switched the pattern a little and they switched the bayonet type. I think these where sold to the Albanians at some point. I think they are refeered to as Sino-Soviet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    I'm pretty much speechless. I have BRAND NEW Delton AR-15's, life time warranty, purchased for $449 that I can't sell for $550. Yet a junk SKS is a prized possession for $250. WTF??
    Im sorry you cant unload your AR. Im not sure why you would have a problem with me being proud of my new rifle even if it is a bit rough.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

A gun is a gun, she looks rough, but hey work can be done on it.
    Im memory of my brother and fellow Marine, Semper Fidelis. Rest well my friend

very nice get! I love my sks. I enjoy shooting it. and I prolly shouldn't admit with such excitement. I love the smell of the sks spent ammo. That thing will work hard for you all day long!

Quote Originally Posted by shotlady View Post
    very nice get! I love my sks. I enjoy shooting it. and I prolly shouldn't admit with such excitement. I love the smell of the sks spent ammo. That thing will work hard for you all day long!
    No doubt! It looks as though it's been beat on like a Dickensian Orphan for better than fifty years and is still ready to fight :D
    Jeep likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links