Salty's Gun Review: Henry .22LR/L/S Golden Boy Lever Action Rifle
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Salty's Gun Review: Henry .22LR/L/S Golden Boy Lever Action Rifle within the Rifles, SKS, AR, AK, Long Guns forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; I am posting short gun reviews for "survival guns" that I own and use, from my own personal perspective. The views expressed are my own, ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Salty's Gun Review: Henry .22LR/L/S Golden Boy Lever Action Rifle

I am posting short gun reviews for "survival guns" that I own and use, from my own personal perspective. The views expressed are my own, and I will pull no punches... these are guns I own and shoot, and I will address them from a "prepping/survival perspective".

Today's review is the Henry Golden Boy chambered in .22LR/L/S. I plan to post reviews of the "regular" Henry .22LR/L/S as well as the Henry .22 Magnum, and Henry Big Boy .357 magnum carbine.

Here's Mrs. Salty at the range Sunday killing some gongs (she had just pulled the trigger, I tried to get it during the shot, missed. Oh well). It's hard being married to a woman who's face is always blurry

Salty's Gun Review: Henry .22LR/L/S Golden Boy Lever Action Rifle-img_5112.jpg

Philosophy Of Use: This gun fits very much into my personal philosophy of owning .22's that will shoot any rotgut cheapass .22LR/L/S shells you can dig up and shooting them accurately. I am going to borrow some words from another review (the Ruger American Rifle .22LR I reviewed last week) because many parts of the POU works for both guns.

The Henry .22 will eat any rotgut .22LR, L or S ammo you can dig up, from subsonic quiet rounds all the way up to Stingers and Mini Mags, with a caveat. You CAN shoot CB rounds out of the Henry, but it's not recommended since those rounds have such a low velocity that they lose energy very quickly, to the point that they can get stuck in a rifle's 20 inch barrel. I've shot them, but I don't recommend it (I ALWAYS made sure that my round hit before I chambered another round. If you can find is a brick of that horrid Winchester white box 333 LR crud or those nasty Golden Bullets? No problem, this gun will eat it and drive tacks with it. CCI Quiets? Sure. Shorts? It will hold a bazillion of them.

As I have consistently stated, I think from a prepper/survivalist point of view, being able to use any available ammunition is important. The Golden Boy .22 just works great with any round.

Design:

There's a lot to love about the Golden Boy. It's got excellent workmanship, a lovely finish, good sights, a heavy tack-shooting octagon barrel, smooth lever action and a good trigger pull.

The wood stock is a gorgeous walnut from right here in the Honey War area of Missouri, and the parts are expertly machined. I've had a chance to talk to Anthony Imprerato personally a couple of times while he was in our part of the country (exceedingly nice fellow, by the way) and we discussed the company's quality control, specifically how they do it. That falls outside of the scope of this review, but I encourage you to talk with him if you get the opportunity.

There's only one downside to the golden boy for the prepper... after the SHTF you won't want to be walking around with a golden gun reflecting sunlight... so you need to do what I do, and keep some black paint on hand. It will be sad if I ever have to paint over the brass, but honestly by that time a little paint on a gun will be the least of my worries.

Tale Of The Tape

Stock: Lovely Walnut
    Capacity: 16 rounds .22LR & .22L, 21 rounds of .22 short
    Finish: Satin Blued and brass
    Barrel Length: 20.00"
    Overall Length: 38.50"
    Front Sight: Beaded
    Rear Sight: Adjustable buckhorn rear
    Weight: 6.75 lbs.
    Magazine Type: Internal Tube
    Suggested Retail: $550 I paid $425

Shooting:

I gotta be honest, I bought this gun because I thought it was just really pretty. My wife, however, latched onto it and it's now "her" go-to gun for plinking, shooting and small game.

This gun is a joy to shoot. The iron sights are easy to use and very accurate. A scope mount is available (the design of the gun changed a couple years ago, if you buy a used Golden Boy and want to mount a scope, you should make sure you get the right mount).

This gun absolutely drives tacks. At 50 yards it shoots 1 inch groups consistently with good ammo (CCI Stingers).

The action is basically flawless, with one exception. You can make a Golden Boy jam consistently if you engage the lever action while the ejection port is vertical. I did this once by accident, and it jammed, so I tested it for repeatability. Other than that, the gun is flawless feed wise, so "just don't do that".

Verdict

I would say "just go buy one" but... I have to admit, I also like the $100 cheaper "normal" Henry .22 nearly as well. The sights on the Golden Boy are different and I like them better, but both guns pound tacks.

---------------------------

Here are links of my other reviews:

Hi-Point 9mm Carbine

Henry AR-7 .22LR Semi-Auto Survival Rifle

Marlin X7 Bolt Action Rifle

The Ole Smoke Pole: Review & Discussion Of Single-Shot Shottys

Henry Golden Boy .22

Phoenix Arms HP22A

Chiappa 1911-22

Windham Weaponry M4 AR-15 SRC

Rock Island Armscor M200 .38 Special

Kel-tec PF9

Ruger American Rifle .22LR Bolt Action

ISSC .22LR Semi-Auto (Glock clone)

North American Arms .22 Magnum/22LR/L/S convertible w/holster grip

Nagant Revolver (just for fun)

Glock 26 as a CCW/BOB/GHB option

Crickett Kids Rifle For Training Younglings & As A BOB/GHB Option

Mossberg 702 Plinkster

Ye Ole .22 Single Shot

Ruger SR-22 Semi-Auto Pistol

Hi-Point C9 Semi Auto Pistol

Heritage Arms .22 Convertible Revolvers

Ruger LCR .357 and .22LR revolvers

Mossberg Maverick 88 Security 12 Gauge Shotgun

Ruger Mini-30

Cobra Small Derringer

Chiappa Little Badger Survival Rifle

Ye 'Ole .22 Single Shot Old Rifle
    Last edited by Salt-N-Pepper; 03-08-2016 at 09:48 PM.

I have a Henry Big Boy in .357 and absolutely LOVE it. I got it as a gift from Mrs Inor. But I told her I wanted it mainly because of how it looks. It is VERY accurate and I absolutely love the sites. The only negative I can say about it is the action was VERY tight when I first shot it. It took at least 300 rounds before it started to loosen up enough that I could work the action without removing it from my shoulder first. Now that it is nice and broke in, it is awesome!
    Last edited by Inor; 10-06-2014 at 08:25 PM.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

I had also had a Henry in .357 mag and thought it was a great shooting nail driving rifle. Unfortunately my youngest son hit me at a weak moment and I gave it to him as a Christmas gift along with my S&W model 66 in .357 stainless. Now I have the .22 magnum golden boy. This is a great shooting gun also. Henry has a great reputation with me.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Never had a Henry but would consider the 357. Must admit the Rossi 24" oct barrel is getting heavy and I may was a short barrel lighter lever as I age out.

The Good Cop

I have the plain-Jane standard model, but in the "youth" size. I like it because it is short and handy. I just put the tape on it and it has a 16" barrel and 13" LOP. I am 6' 3" and the LOP fits me just fine.
    She is well broken in and is an excellent homestead rifle.
    Arklatex likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

I have a GB but it don't shoot straight. I believe that the rear sight is bent, sort of twisted, that is what it looks like anyway. Picked it up used for $325 I think. I may either replace the rear sight with a Williams peep sight or buy the scope mount and put a tube type red dot (gasp) I have on it.

Thanks for the review. Sounds a lot like the way my old Marlin Lever .22 handled shorts. As long as you held it level or down when working the lever they fed fine. If the angle was inclined upwards by much it could get balky. The handling characteristics and accuracy sound real similar.

Nice review.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

I want this for my kids..... it was between this and a ruger .22 bolt.... but the lever action is just... pretty and classic looking.

Great review... again!

Quote Originally Posted by Notsoyoung View Post
    I had also had a Henry in .357 mag and thought it was a great shooting nail driving rifle. Unfortunately my youngest son hit me at a weak moment and I gave it to him as a Christmas gift along with my S&W model 66 in .357 stainless. Now I have the .22 magnum golden boy. This is a great shooting gun also. Henry has a great reputation with me.
    Yeah, my youngest got me last year, too, for a SBH .44, a Colt NF .22, and a Rossi 92 .44. The scamp.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links