Options for lead - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Options for lead

This is a discussion on Options for lead within the Reloading forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Yes it will work be some work sorting the spent bullets out. If it is sand won't be too bad. You could start with a ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Options for lead

Yes it will work be some work sorting the spent bullets out. If it is sand won't be too bad. You could start with a series of framed screens in different sizes, some to catch any rocks and larger things, then smaller to catch the bullets and let the fines through. You could finish up with something like miners use to collect placer gold. I would leave all the siftings on site in a single pile in case it ever needs to be cleaned up.

On another note if you shoot MLs, for close range marbles have been used with the proper patch with light loads. Make sure the patches hold up and the marbles don't hit the rifling. This was discussed on the muzzleloading forum.

One more idea and maybe your club members could help out if you have fabricator/welder in the club. Get some really thick steel plate and fabricate a bullet trap, should work well for .22 and pistols. Have the inside angled down so the bullets don't hit head on (think about battle tank armor designs) then some baffles after they are deflected to trap them inside. Be careful with your design don't want things coming back at you
    Blackcat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Yes it will work be some work sorting the spent bullets out. If it is sand won't be too bad. You could start with a series of framed screens in different sizes, some to catch any rocks and larger things, then smaller to catch the bullets and let the fines through. You could finish up with something like miners use to collect placer gold. I would leave all the siftings on site in a single pile in case it ever needs to be cleaned up.

On another note if you shoot MLs, for close range marbles have been used with the proper patch with light loads. Make sure the patches hold up and the marbles don't hit the rifling. This was discussed on the muzzleloading forum.

One more idea and maybe your club members could help out if you have fabricator/welder in the club. Get some really thick steel plate and fabricate a bullet trap, should work well for .22 and pistols. Have the inside angled down so the bullets don't hit head on (think about battle tank armor designs) then some baffles after they are deflected to trap them inside. Be careful with your design don't want things coming back at you
    Shouldnt be difficult im a welder/fabricator/blacksmith by trade ive been comsidering a lead trap before I spend much more of my lead. The plate I need for the calibers im using will cost me in the 300+ range I just keep thinking in the short run thats buys a lot of ammo. In the long run though it will save much.

If you could find some scrap round material, 2-3 foot dia and thick as you can get, just angle a section ca. 45 degrees down and put some fine sand in the bottom.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Check with your local tire shops for old wheel weights.
    Most likely they have someone who buys them, but, it don't hurt to ask

Wheel weights are increasingly made from Fe (Iron) or Zn (Zinc), which makes them useless for casting bullets. Then there are the wheel weights made from mystery metal that I have no idea what it is. Last batch of wheel weights I sorted was about a third unusable. Since they shut down the last led smelting operation in the US all lead sources are from outside the country.
    Blackcat and bigwheel like this.

I would think most business' (tire stores, plumbers, etc.) are already collecting all scrap metal to resell to scrap metal dealers.
    A couple tire stores around here are doing so.

One indoor range here told us that they had a commercial reloader coming in to mine the lead for them for free. Both got what they needed and were happy. Then they started tacking on a fee to everyone who brings in their own ammo, whether you buy theirs or not. they say it covers the cost of lead removal.

I have come to view gun stores and salesmen to be the equal of used car salesmen. :blue:
    Blackcat likes this.
    And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;... Genesis 16:12

Wheel weights are what I use now but no that wont work well. As Seneca said there are few lead wheel weights left. All the tire shops I frequent tell me they have fewer and fewer buckets of lead left. Also competing with all the other reloaders in this area and surprisingly fishermen gathering lead for down riggers. Almost all sources I can find are spoken for. Ive even been met with outright agression just for asking lol. Thats why I need a non lead option. Yes were at that point now.

years ago I melted down wheel weights and used them in a mold for my muzzle loader. Later I was told
    that wheel weight should not be used for that because of what is mixed with the lead. But it seemed to work OK for me.

Quote Originally Posted by budgetprepp-n View Post
    years ago I melted down wheel weights and used them in a mold for my muzzle loader. Later I was told
    that wheel weight should not be used for that because of what is mixed with the lead. But it seemed to work OK for me.
    Been a real long time since wheel weights were pure lead.

The lead alloys they used next were usable but harder. Good for bullets and less fouling for hotter loads. Not so much for MLs using a a patched round ball you might want to expand. (Pure lead bullets will expand better too.). On the other hand the harder alloys will penetrate better and some people prefer that for shooting larger game.

Easy way to sort them out is scratch them and see how easy it is.

I wonder how pure the cores and castings are on current commercial cartridges?

Well, however you decide to approach it (I've run straight wheel weights through every thing for decades), reduce your charge and work up. Wax bullets only need a primer. Go to the cast boolits site and poke around. I'm sure there is discussion of this in there somewhere.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links