Bullets that spin in the case after crimping... what to do? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Bullets that spin in the case after crimping... what to do?

This is a discussion on Bullets that spin in the case after crimping... what to do? within the Reloading forums, part of the HandGuns, Pistols and Revolvers, Long Rifles, Shotguns, SKS, AK, AR category; Thanks for the replies guys! I am using a Lee set of dies for my 9mm, and it comes with a crimping die, but I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Bullets that spin in the case after crimping... what to do?

Thanks for the replies guys!

I am using a Lee set of dies for my 9mm, and it comes with a crimping die, but I do not believe it is the "factory crimp die" like I have for my .300AAC. It seems to be a roll crimper instead of a collet squeeze. Whatever comes in the 4-die set.

I should have stopped when I noticed I could push the bullets in by hand. But newbie me, I kept going thinking the resize in the crimp die would fix it. It didn't.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

I have had a similar problem one time several years ago, it was caused by too much crimp. The brass will spring back a bit from a heavy crimp sometimes, but the lead will not. I backed the crimp off a bit and they were tight.
    "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."- The wise words of Benjamin Franklin.

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    I have a Dillon 550 4 station.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Took a pic of a crimped bullet vs an unused bullet.
    Think the one on the left is still useable?
    It tapers a bit, but I think it's done for.
    Bullets that spin in the case after crimping... what to do?-20200831_210707.jpg
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Those bullets do not need crimping!

Crimping is for bullets bullets with a cannelure.

You are screwing them up and it will result in jamming one in the chamber!!!!

No, those will no longer hold properly in the case.

This is the only type you crimp!

That "groove" is below the OD enough to allow for the crimp into it.

Name:  CAN PIC.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  6.6 KB

Bullets that spin in the case after crimping... what to do?-cannalure.png

The cannelure is used with heavy recoil weapons,

and with lightweight bullets that do not have enough surface area for proper tension.

The 7.62 NATO and 5.56 NATO have it because of use in automatic weapons,

cannot afford to have the projectiles to back out or be pushed into the case.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 08-31-2020 at 08:56 PM.

@SOCOM42 Thank you!

Your advice is not mentioned in the Lee die set instructions.
    Bullets that spin in the case after crimping... what to do?-20200831_223613.jpg

Other forums indicate that a "taper crimp" can be used with bullets that lack a cannelure, but that's basically just removing the bell.
    Why on earth would Lee not mention the difference?
    Oh well, glad I asked and got it cleared up.

I finished pulling them and resized the cases. These bullets will not be mixed back in.

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    @SOCOM42 Thank you!

Your advice is not mentioned in the Lee die set instructions.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200831_223613.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	108153

Other forums indicate that a "taper crimp" can be used with bullets that lack a cannelure, but that's basically just removing the bell.
    Why on earth would Lee not mention the difference?
    Oh well, glad I asked and got it cleared up.

I finished pulling them and resized the cases. These bullets will not be mixed back in.
    That "bell" should not be any larger that I mentioned before, just enough for the bullet to sit on top stable.

With the base of your bullets containing a radius, virtually none is needed,

that bell is more for cast bullets with square bases and or gas checks, and some semi jacketed bullets with square bases.

That taper crimp is more of a coining operation than a crimp to bring the mouth of the case back against the case, nothing more.

Don't try to move the case into the side of the bullet, only just against it.

I hope you are trimming the cases to length, that is critical for this round, ever time you fire it the case extrudes a bit,

Then when you size it, it moves even more, when the primers start to go in a little easy, it is time to chuck them.

Back in the late 60's I loaded about 10,000 rounds a month for police departments, 38 special and 9 mm.

Used Star presses and made my own dies, even the carbide ones.

Gave it up for more time in the cockpit.
    Kauboy likes this.

Matt Dardas says the first rule of loading cast boolits is Thou Shalt Not Crimp Cast Boolits.

I still run them through the Lee FCD, I don't have it set very tight.
    Bucket-Back since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by AquaHull View Post
    Matt Dardas says the first rule of loading cast boolits is Thou Shalt Not Crimp Cast Boolits.

I still run them through the Lee FCD, I don't have it set very tight.
    There are mold makers that machine a cannelure into their molds, you can use them or not.
    AquaHull likes this.

When I first started reloading, I was very anal about everything. I measured and trimmed every case. More experienced reloaders laughed at me and advised that this was necessary for bottleneck cartridges but not straight wall pistol cartridges. (These guys were mostly IDPA shooters that reloaded thousands of rounds per year). Actually, the majority of 9mm cases I measured were shorter than the recommended trim length. For years now I don’t even bother measuring or trimming 9mm cases. Everything I reload shoots fine in my Glocks.

I’m sure some here will violently disagree and flame me. That’s OK. This method works for me and I have reloaded somewhere between 10 and 20 thousand 9mm without any problems. Those shooters that gave me this advice reload way more than me.
    Now all this ammo is practice ammo. All my self defense stuff is factory fresh Hornady Critical Defence.
    AquaHull and stevekozak like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links