What tool can do this?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What tool can do this?

This is a discussion on What tool can do this? within the Recycling, Composting, Reducing, Reuse, Environment forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; I have no idea about "tools" in regards to hands on work. I slap my father for that , unlike what I'm trying to teach ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: What tool can do this?

What tool can do this?

I have no idea about "tools" in regards to hands on work. I slap my father for that , unlike what I'm trying to teach my son. I can barely operate a hammer without having black and blue thumbs.

Anyways, forgive me if this seems novice to you folks that know how to do this, but I was wondering what tool is used to make something like in the photos. I rented out a cabin in TN a few weeks ago and they had a nifty "ash tray" that was made out of a cut log and the top was hollowed out for the butts. Not only could it be used for an ashtray, but other things as well came to mind. Regardless, what "tool" would you use to do such a task?

What tool can do this?-sevierville-20120605-00296.jpgWhat tool can do this?-sevierville-20120605-00297.jpg

Almost looks like they used it on a lathe. Kind of like when they turn bowls out of one piece wood, or maybe they used a router....a lot.

I think I could accomplish this task by making the circle cut with a jigsaw and then using my wood chisels to carve out the cut area.
    "What Goes Around Comes Around...I Just Make Get There Faster"

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

either of those tools will work but if you want to do it in a more "rustic" way you can use hot coals carefully in small amounts to burn the center and then scrape it away as it burns down. Would be a longer process but also a cool way of doing it.
    paraquack and Tundra Dweller like this.

If you're good, just chisels. If you're smart, a Bridgeport style horizontal mill will cut it out, or a overhead router. I don't claim to be either.
    C5GUY likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AquaHull View Post
    If you're good, just chisels. If you're smart, a Bridgeport style horizontal mill will cut it out, or a overhead router. I don't claim to be either.
    I was just about to say a mill
    Always remember- there's a wealth around you

I vote for chisels. I'm not that great of a wood worker, but believe I could do that in less than an hour. Shouldn't be that difficult.
    C5GUY likes this.

Thanks all. A lathe came to mind first, but the others are some great ideas.

I saw Cody Lundin hollow out a log like that using hot fire coals. Kind of primitive, but it might just work.

I would use a router with a bit that cuts the bottom and sides at the same time with a bushing collar. Maybe start with a plywood jig with about a 2 inch hole in it to start and then enlarge the hole in the plywood jig after each pass. Pretty cool ashtray.I think that would be easier than trying to mount such a large piece in a lathe. That would work though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links