Rainwater Collection First Flush Systems; My old one broke, any suggestions?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Rainwater Collection First Flush Systems; My old one broke, any suggestions? within the Recycling, Composting, Reducing, Reuse, Environment forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Well, one of my "First Flush" systems on my Rainwater Collection downspouts broke, it lasted 7 years or so and did a very good job ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Rainwater Collection First Flush Systems; My old one broke, any suggestions?

Well, one of my "First Flush" systems on my Rainwater Collection downspouts broke, it lasted 7 years or so and did a very good job re-directing debris-free water from my metal roof via a gutter and downspout and into one of my 500 gallon collection tanks. The internal components just got "gummed up" with dirt and moldy crap. I never expected it to last forever but I was hoping to get more than 7 years out of it. It was a manufactured system from Rain Harvest Systems (see below). Today, it costs $100 and I think I paid $80 for it...]. so I guess approx $10 bucks a year ain't too bad...

https://www.rainharvest.com/rain-har...rter.asp?bc=no

...but...I'm thinking about building my own so if any of you knuckleheads have one that you successfully built, I'd appreciate a heads up!

Thanks!
    Inor likes this.

@Slippy , what does your downspouts/rain gutters look like and how small of debris do you want to filter? Picture would help.

MT

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Well, one of my "First Flush" systems on my Rainwater Collection downspouts broke, it lasted 7 years or so and did a very good job re-directing debris-free water from my metal roof via a gutter and downspout and into one of my 500 gallon collection tanks. The internal components just got "gummed up" with dirt and moldy crap.
    It can't be cleaned?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    It can't be cleaned?
    Yes,

Some of the parts were also broken (cheap plastic) and unsalvageable. But I did soak it in some bleach for a couple of days and even that wouldn't get it very clean. The fact that some of the parts that make it work are broken, trying to repair it just would be throwing good money after bad. Constant exposure to the elements and fast running water, leaves, debris etc can do a number on man-made component parts.
    paulag1955 and Deebo like this.

Yes,

Some of the parts were also broken (cheap plastic) and unsalvageable. But I did soak it in some bleach for a couple of days and even that wouldn't get it very clean. The fact that some of the parts that make it work are broken, trying to repair it just would be throwing good money after bad. Constant exposure to the elements and fast running water, leaves, debris etc can do a number on man-made component parts.
    How frustrating.
    Slippy likes this.

Interesting. How much leaves versus dirt are actually on your roof? What about droppings? Is the water diverter actually necessary? Hmmm.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    @Slippy , what does your downspouts/rain gutters look like and how small of debris do you want to filter? Picture would help.

MT
    MadT,

I have 6" Gutters and 4" Downspouts. The Rain Harvest system connected to the downspouts and after a few minutes of downpour from the roof (metal standing seam roof) the Inner Mechanisms of the First Flush System would divert the rain through a plastic tube to a 500 gallon tank.

Rainwater Collection First Flush Systems; My old one broke, any suggestions?-img_1747.jpg

The blue components are the moving parts of the system that rise and lower to allow water to either go down the downspouts or divert the water to the tank. Inside some pieces are broken. this is after I soaked it in bleach for a couple of days and looks so much better than the day I removed it. But, it would not be worth it to me to try and replace the parts to make it work.

Rainwater Collection First Flush Systems; My old one broke, any suggestions?-img_1745.jpg

As you can see I cut the downspouts and fitted the First Flush System into the gap and like I said it has worked flawlessly for about 7 years. This fall I noticed it wasn't working so I finally took it apart, cleaned it and tried to "jimmy rig" the internal parts, to no success.

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    How frustrating.
    Not really, if this is the worst thing that happens to me today, I am living a Fantastic Blessed Life!

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    Interesting. How much leaves versus dirt are actually on your roof? What about droppings? Is the water diverter actually necessary? Hmmm.
    Mostly leaves from hardwoods (as you can see in the pic) that rot and turn into mulch dirt in the gutters if I don't clean it out once per year. The First Flush System has a screen that separates most of the debris. Plus I have a second screen in the tank. A few years ago I boiled some water from the tank, and filtered it through my Berkey and drank it. No issues.
    Last edited by Slippy; 12-19-2019 at 02:04 PM.
    Crunch, Inor and inceptor like this.

I'm thinking about taking some 4" PVC and a plastic 4" round ball and making my own First Flush System...

I'm thinking about taking some 4" PVC and a plastic 4" round ball and making my own First Flush System...
    I can't imagine any kind of filter for around our western Washington place that wouldn't be clog every blasted day. Our neighbors have Leaf Guard gutters, and the installer is over there several times every winter unclogging them.

Yes,

A good coarse screen where the downspout connects to the gutter is where to start.

Make a cage that goes over the hole in the gutter from agricultural screen, the stout stuff with about 3/8 " square holes. About 1-11/2 " tall, twice as wide as the hole. It will take out coarse stuff, have a lot of surface area, and take a while to clog.

Downstream from that, on the downspout? What does system look like?..........

Several finer series of removeable/cleanable/replaceable, stainless screens. Large area, so they will handle fast flows.......
    Slippy likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links