Chickens Doing the Work for Composting
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Chickens Doing the Work for Composting within the Recycling, Composting, Reducing, Reuse, Environment forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; I have read in a couple places that people will attach their composting bin to their chicken coop and install a door between. Periodically opening ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Green Lilly
  • 1 Post By Smitty901
  • 1 Post By Piratesailor
  • 1 Post By 1skrewsloose
  • 1 Post By Old SF Guy

Thread: Chickens Doing the Work for Composting

I have read in a couple places that people will attach their composting bin to their chicken coop and install a door between. Periodically opening the door to allow the chickens to get into the compost pile and do what chickens do best, scratch and poop. This would turn the compost pile and add manure to it. Has anyone here done something similar and do the chickens actually do a decent job of turning things?
    Annie and Slippy like this.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Doubt it would turn it enough. When I clean the coop it all goes in the compost.
    Green Lilly likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    They do ok but not enough to turn a pile unless it’s small. We have 4 compost piles. 3 are large and in the back pasture. We turn those with a tractor. The 4th is small and in a 4x4x4 composting “container” in another pasture. The chickens free range and usually at some point head to the small compost pile and mess around in it. The wife usually gives it a good turn by hand.
    Green Lilly likes this.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I'm not a farmer, never have been, but maybe a pig or two in a larger enclosure. They like to root around. I know they take more care than chickens but come fall the freezer has meat. The closest I've ever came to farming was picking eggs at the neighbors, they had 27,000 laying hens. Used the feed they beaked out to feed feeder hogs for my pay for the year, think I was 12 or 13 at the time. Oh... the good ol days. Ended up I worked a year on the farm for $500.00 Sorry, got off topic.
    Green Lilly likes this.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

Quote Originally Posted by Piratesailor View Post
    They do ok but not enough to turn a pile unless it’s small. We have 4 compost piles. 3 are large and in the back pasture. We turn those with a tractor. The 4th is small and in a 4x4x4 composting “container” in another pasture. The chickens free range and usually at some point head to the small compost pile and mess around in it. The wife usually gives it a good turn by hand.
    Yes, my pile would be small. I am only doing raised beds and not a whole lot of them. I was thinking 4x4x4 would be a right size. We would let our chickens out to free range a couple hours a day and they would always make a bee line straight for our neighbors compost pile and mess about in it. So it might be viable for me but I will still need to do some hand turning it sounds like.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Pigs and chickens play a game called lunch. Guess who is on the menu.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lilly View Post
    Yes, my pile would be small. I am only doing raised beds and not a whole lot of them. I was thinking 4x4x4 would be a right size. We would let our chickens out to free range a couple hours a day and they would always make a bee line straight for our neighbors compost pile and mess about in it.

Damnit....where in the hell can a fella find a free range Cat? Damn no account feline! won't even catch bugs getting in the house.
    Green Lilly likes this.

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Our little 4x4 chicken compost.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Chickens Doing the Work for Composting-d9b65bd4-d273-4062-9bdb-e886ff171cfc.jpeg  

"Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

Sponsored Links