Converting Your Lawn to More Practical Uses... - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Converting Your Lawn to More Practical Uses...

This is a discussion on Converting Your Lawn to More Practical Uses... within the Recycling, Composting, Reducing, Reuse, Environment forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; I've been working on a raised bed of bacon bits, but those seeds ain't been producing shit yet. The muslim neighbors' chickens keep getting into ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Converting Your Lawn to More Practical Uses...

I've been working on a raised bed of bacon bits, but those seeds ain't been producing shit yet. The muslim neighbors' chickens keep getting into em too. He don't know it but he's going to hell one egg at time.

We do not have any grass, only the wild grass that grows in the high desert. WOO HOO!!! For the last two years, all of our gardening has consisted of container gardens. We have been doing okay with those, but it is a painfully manual process to keep them up. Still, we do not have enough of them to consume too much time.

This winter, my plan is to build six raised bed gardens in the back of the house from cast concrete panels. Since I have a guy coming out within the next week or so to dig the trench for the electrical from the house to the shack that I am building for Mrs Inor's art studio, I am going to have him dig the trenches for the water lines for the gardens at the same time. So last week, I had another guy come out with a front end loader to level out the area for the raised gardens.

We also have a wash that runs through the back of our property. So while the guy was out leveling a spot for the gardens, I also had him widen the wash so the water does not run as fast. I was having some problems with erosion along our fence line. (Obviously, I had gotten permission from the county before messing with the wash.) He had dug down about 8-10 inches at the bottom of the wash when we hit the biggest, blackest vein of black dirt I have seen since leaving Minnesota! That is a huge win because it means I will be able to get the dirt for the gardens from the bottom of our wash and save a buttload of money over having it hauled in!

Last fall, we planted 3 apple trees, a peach tree and an almond tree. The peach tree died, but the others are doing well and we may even get a few good apples from each of the apple trees this year. That seems crazy to me since they are only about 5 feet tall. This fall, I think I am going to do 2 more peach trees, 2 apricots and maybe 1 more almond.

@Slippy : I took your advice on our lemon tree and got some of the citrus tree fertilizer spikes. They helped it a great deal; the damn thing is growing like a weed and has more leaves than it has ever had. There is still not even a trace of a lemon. But it sure seems healthy. I think it might be a "woke" lemon tree and just refuses to work right. So this year I am trying a different tactic. Every time I go out and shoot a snake, I stop and show it the pistol.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post

I hope your wife is doing okay...

I miss horseback riding. Do you do much riding?
    My wife has had degenerative disc disease in her spine for decades. Won't get any better.
    I have never been on a horse in my life. My wife has ridden since a little girl, and when we got our little farm 20 years ago she wanted her own horse. So, we got her one. We later added two more rescues, but they have both passed away, so now it's just the one mare.
    The wife still occasionally rides around the property, but at 72 years of age that scares the heck out of me.
    Inor, Denton, Prepared One and 3 others like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    As some of you may know, most of my yard is comprised of raised beds for vegetable gardening and some ornamental flowering bushes to attract bees for pollenation. This year I added 2 more raised beds in the form of Stock Tanks and this winter I plan on adding a few more in place of my grass, which is a Emerald Zoysia Grass; a drought resistant warm weather durable grass that requires less maintenance.

Of course I don't have to deal with Neighbors or a Home Owners Association, but if done correctly, it can look nice as well as highly functional...

This year, I'm down to around 1200 Square Feet of Zoysia Grass and hope to reduce that in half over the next few years. I don't mind keeping some grass, as it just looks nice, but the more I can grow veggies, herbs or useful plants, the better I will be!

Here's a couple of links to get you in the right frame of mind...
    https://gardentherapy.ca/raised-vegetable-garden/
    https://www.thegardenlady.org/conver...etable-garden/
    https://realfarmacy.com/lawn-to-garden/
    https://www.motherearthnews.com/natu...s-ze0z1905zwoo
    Not to be a parade rainer but what woiuld prevent a person from knocking the zoza grass and raised planters in the head and planting the truck farm direct in the dirt? Dont make me come over there. Thanks.
    Denton, A Watchman and Slippy like this.

Excellent plan with the cast concrete raised beds and congrats for finding the good soil from the wash area! You'll be in high cotton soon and when you do, give me and @bigwheel a call and maybe we can send you some folks to help pick the cotton! (SSSSCCCCRRRRREEEEEECCCHHHHHH...sound of record player scratching)...my bad, on second thought, maybe pick your own cotton, don't want to piss off your "woke" lemon tree!

Speaking of Lemon Trees, time to prune some of your leaves and limbs from the tree. The leaves are stealing all the nutrients that you want to go to producing lemons. Did the Lemon Tree flower at all this year?

Converting Your Lawn to More Practical Uses...-img_1521.jpg

Converting Your Lawn to More Practical Uses...-img_1522.jpg

My lemons should be ready in October or November. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    We do not have any grass, only the wild grass that grows in the high desert. WOO HOO!!! For the last two years, all of our gardening has consisted of container gardens. We have been doing okay with those, but it is a painfully manual process to keep them up. Still, we do not have enough of them to consume too much time.

This winter, my plan is to build six raised bed gardens in the back of the house from cast concrete panels. Since I have a guy coming out within the next week or so to dig the trench for the electrical from the house to the shack that I am building for Mrs Inor's art studio, I am going to have him dig the trenches for the water lines for the gardens at the same time. So last week, I had another guy come out with a front end loader to level out the area for the raised gardens.

We also have a wash that runs through the back of our property. So while the guy was out leveling a spot for the gardens, I also had him widen the wash so the water does not run as fast. I was having some problems with erosion along our fence line. (Obviously, I had gotten permission from the county before messing with the wash.) He had dug down about 8-10 inches at the bottom of the wash when we hit the biggest, blackest vein of black dirt I have seen since leaving Minnesota! That is a huge win because it means I will be able to get the dirt for the gardens from the bottom of our wash and save a buttload of money over having it hauled in!

Last fall, we planted 3 apple trees, a peach tree and an almond tree. The peach tree died, but the others are doing well and we may even get a few good apples from each of the apple trees this year. That seems crazy to me since they are only about 5 feet tall. This fall, I think I am going to do 2 more peach trees, 2 apricots and maybe 1 more almond.

@Slippy : I took your advice on our lemon tree and got some of the citrus tree fertilizer spikes. They helped it a great deal; the damn thing is growing like a weed and has more leaves than it has ever had. There is still not even a trace of a lemon. But it sure seems healthy. I think it might be a "woke" lemon tree and just refuses to work right. So this year I am trying a different tactic. Every time I go out and shoot a snake, I stop and show it the pistol.
    Inor and bigwheel like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Excellent plan with the cast concrete raised beds and congrats for finding the good soil from the wash area! You'll be in high cotton soon and when you do, give me and @bigwheel a call and maybe we can send you some folks to help pick the cotton! (SSSSCCCCRRRRREEEEEECCCHHHHHH...sound of record player scratching)...my bad, on second thought, maybe pick your own cotton, don't want to piss off your "woke" lemon tree!

Speaking of Lemon Trees, time to prune some of your leaves and limbs from the tree. The leaves are stealing all the nutrients that you want to go to producing lemons. Did the Lemon Tree flower at all this year?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1521.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	99561

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1522.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	99563

My lemons should be ready in October or November. Good luck!
    We had flowers coming out the wazoo and a couple even started lemons. But they got to be about the size of a small pea, then fell off. I think that tree is just out to mock me.
    Slippy likes this.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

I converted my land to a cement pond. No grass, no weeds!

Converting Your Lawn to More Practical Uses...-img_0321.jpg
    Last edited by Prepared One; 08-08-2019 at 07:52 AM.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Plant what you can eat. Perrenials/long lived/orchard if feassable. Lots are spring/summer/fall ornimentals

Why spend $$$$$$$$$$$ on flowers if the $$$$$$$ could feed you all year???????
    I

When I was younger and a lot more agile I'd plant enough potatoes for a year for the family and friends and then raise another 2000 to 3000 pounds of Kennebecs to give to food banks and the elderly. Cost to me was zero as I used potatoes from the year before to plant the new garden. We would HILL UP our potatoes underground and dig out what we would need even during the dead of winter and early spring the potatoes looked brand new.

Talk about trade materials in a SHTF event.. I could have easily raised 20 tons or so!

HINT...go around after Halloween and gather up all your neighbors corn shocks and bales of hay/straw as a favor and spread em over your garden and till them in deep...the more plant material you throw on your garden the better it will do.
    bigwheel, Slippy and Deebo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post

Do trees follow normal biology, in that it takes two to tango and bear fruit? Not an arborist, but I've done some messed up stuff in trees.....just sayin ?
    Slippy likes this.

Yall need to get busy and plan turnips. Last batch I did we had fresh turnipes all winter to go in in stew.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links