Hydraulic Ram Pump Issues
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Hydraulic Ram Pump Issues within the Recycling, Composting, Reducing, Reuse, Environment forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; I have a perfect setup for a hydraulic ram pump. In fact, the rural property that I now own had a ram pump installed over ...

Jem

I have a perfect setup for a hydraulic ram pump. In fact, the rural property that I now own had a ram pump installed over a hundred years ago. As I was installing my modern home-made pump, I encountered bits and pieces of the old system. The neighborhood matriarch who passed on a few years ago (at 102) told me stories about the system that provided water to a half dozen nearby residents via a ram pump and a water tower when she was a wee girl.

Anyway, I can't get the blasted thing to run right. On the drive side, I have 5.5 gallons per minute with a 14 foot fall over ~100 feet. I have a 1-1/4" drive pipe with a 3/4" ram pump and a 1/2" supply line. It will run for about 2 minutes, then go into arrhythmia followed by flat-line. I have tried 3/4", 1" and 1-1/4" waste valves as well as small, medium and large pressure tanks (pipes). I also have a 3/4" swing-gate style supply valve (having given up on the PVC one).

If anyone has some insight into where I should start tweaking, I'm all ears. Also, doesn't seem that I can upload video, but I'd be glad to send one via email so you can see how it all goes wrong.

Hydraulic Ram Pump Issues-james_ram_pump_fail_one_moment.jpg

Super Moderator

The clack valve is not set correctly, is it adjustable? Or your air bladder is waterlogged.

Jem

The clack valve isn't adjustable - just a dumb 'ol slab of brass that flops up and down. I have tried three different sizes, though (3/4, 1 and 1-1/4). The pressure tank being waterlogged is a possibility, though I did try it with an enormous 3 foot x 4 inch bladder as well. I am starting to thing I need a stand pipe up the drive line a ways.

Sponsored Links