Compressed Paper Firelogs?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Compressed Paper Firelogs? within the Recycling, Composting, Reducing, Reuse, Environment forums, part of the Off-Grid Lifestyle category; Okay, I remember seeing this done on Doomsday Preppers a few years back and can't find the episode. Basically, a family kept old paper, soaked ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Compressed Paper Firelogs?

Okay, I remember seeing this done on Doomsday Preppers a few years back and can't find the episode. Basically, a family kept old paper, soaked it in a Rubbermaid tub until it disintegrated, and then used a press to make fire starters or fire logs.

Really want to start doing this with our old paper vs throwing it out. Has anyone done this before or know of the episode?
    Annie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthKekius View Post
    Okay, I remember seeing this done on Doomsday Preppers a few years back and can't find the episode. Basically, a family kept old paper, soaked it in a Rubbermaid tub until it disintegrated, and then used a press to make fire starters or fire logs.

Really want to start doing this with our old paper vs throwing it out. Has anyone done this before or know of the episode?
    40 years ago we used to do this, or something like it. We had a trough with a rod and handle through the middle where you soaked the paper and rolled it up into logs. I don't remember it working very well, and we only did it for a year or so. I think it was more trouble and less efficient than cutting and splitting wood.
    Smitty901 and bigwheel like this.
    "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."- The wise words of Benjamin Franklin.

Tried it , unrewarding waste of time. If I said what I really think Denton would put me on hold awhile.
    Deebo and Slippy like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jimb1972 View Post
    40 years ago we used to do this, or something like it. We had a trough with a rod and handle through the middle where you soaked the paper and rolled it up into logs. I don't remember it working very well, and we only did it for a year or so. I think it was more trouble and less efficient than cutting and splitting wood.
    Sorry I mispoke, I meant bricks... the log method looks like a giant waste of time.

The brick method though looks priomising though, especially if you have a lot of paper waste.

Has anyone tried the brick method?

Sorry I mispoke, I meant bricks... the log method looks like a giant waste of time.

The brick method though looks priomising though, especially if you have a lot of paper waste.

Has anyone tried the brick method?
    Yea we tried that also, Fail.
    Deebo and Slippy like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

The premise is good. Assuming you have an industrial grade hydraulic press to force the bricks into a density resembling the original wooden log, then they might work out well.
    However, the prep time and quick burn rate of paper means you're really only getting convenience, not efficiency.
    But hey, it's better than throwing away all that paper.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Super Moderator

There's a slew of diy paper log tutorials on youtube. Never tried it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Yea we tried that also, Fail.
    What failed with the process? Did the bricks just go up too fast?
    Deebo likes this.

We use to get industrial cardboard rolls and roll up newspapers and put them in it. Worked like a piece of wood but didn’t last as long if not rolled tight enough or if to tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A number of people we know have tried this and it simply does not work...unless you add paraffin or wax. I've tired to light a couple of people's attempts and none of them have acted like a good piece of fatwood or even better the CAJUN DRAGON PROPANE FIRE STARTER! This sumbitch is the way to go!

Cajun Dragon - Mathews Outdoor Products, Llc

Had to go dig mine up out from storage but luckily I was cleaning the garage...
    Compressed Paper Firelogs?-img_1268.jpg
    Last edited by Slippy; 04-10-2019 at 02:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links