Soup Recipe
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Soup Recipe

This is a discussion on Soup Recipe within the Recipes forums, part of the Food, Health and Fitness Survival category; I made yet anther soup yesterday that turned out really good. As usual it started with a bit of meat for flavor in this case ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Soup Recipe

Soup Recipe

I made yet anther soup yesterday that turned out really good. As usual it started with a bit of meat for flavor in this case a ham bone and a little bit of of a sweat ham with a lot of juice. It had been frozen so I partially thawed then removed the white fat/grease that had formed on top and put it in the pot.

Added a jar of home canned tomatoes , a bag of homegrown then frozen squash and two sweet potatoes. I microwaved the potatoes then blended the tomato and squash together and put it back in the pot for a couple hours. An instapot would have done this in under 30 minutes.

It has a sweet taste from the sweet ham and sweet potato I did not add any other seasonings.

Came out good enough I think I will start canning up my extra squash and zucchini just to use in winter soups. I gave away a lot of produce with a garden it is often nothing or what the hell do I do with all this. I tend to grow a lot and then give away a lot .

Even if you don't grow your own vegetables if you buy up produce in the summer when it is cheaper and can it or make the soup and can it you could save a lot of money as well as have a ready to go food supply. Having canned the soup all you would have to do is open and eat it . Of course heating would make it taste better but you could eat cold if you had to.

I am convinced that any type of bone with a little meat on it with water , broth if you got it , and vegetables that you like will make you a good soup. This would have been good had I added a glove of garlic or an onion. Next time planning on putting in some asparagus.

The hardest part of those soups is answering questions about what kind of soup is it. But what do you call it? I call it soup.
    rstanek, Redneck, Slippy and 5 others like this.
    [1]Survival: Actions I need to do NOW to live another 5 minutes to 3 days.[2] Prepping: What I do to insure my family makes it thru an adverse event lasting 3 days to 3 months [3] Seeds and livestock: What you need for long term subsistence.

I make and love all sorts of soup... many with no name & no recipe. I just use what is available. Soup just captures 100% of the flavor & nutrition of the items included. I'm still picking broccoli, kale & collards, so those are a base for many meals this time of year. I generally start with low sodium chicken broth.

@RJAMES , have you tried growing & storing winter squash. There is no need to can (preserve) them, which sure saves a lot of time. As I'm sure you know, they are one of the 3 sisters. I find several varieties, including butternut, are as sweet & yummy as sweet potatoes but there are varieties for every taste. I'm gonna give Seminole pumpkin a try this summer, as it is truly a heat/humidity lover and is supposed to be resistant to all those damn bugs that go after regular squash. They say even in the deep south of Florida, it can be picked & stored for around a year without refrigeration.
    Last edited by Redneck; 12-21-2017 at 12:57 PM.
    RJAMES, Annie, charito and 1 others like this.

I bought my own Christmas present from my wife this year: a huge cast iron soup pot. She wrapped it up for the sake of tradition.

I love soup.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    I bought my own Christmas present from my wife this year: a huge cast iron soup pot. She wrapped it up for the sake of tradition.

I love soup.
    Be careful with adding any tomato sauces in it.

Cast iron and tomatoes don't get along very well.

DAMHIKT
    sideKahr and bigwheel like this.
    Democrats are doing more to destroy our country than the Russians could ever hope to do.

Super Moderator

Bone broth is extremely good for you. Maybe the reason people have so many hip and knee replacements today is that they don't get enough bone broth.

I have read that back in the old days most homes would have a pot on the back of the stove where stuff would be bubbling away all day long. Whatever needed t be used up would land in the pot. Jaques Pepin calls it "refridgerator soup".
    RJAMES, charito and Joe like this.
    “Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape.” Planet of the Apes, 1968

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Bone broth is extremely good for you. Maybe the reason people have so many hip and knee replacements today is that they don't get enough bone broth.

I have read that back in the old days most homes would have a pot on the back of the stove where stuff would be bubbling away all day long. Whatever needed t be used up would land in the pot. Jaques Pepin calls it "refridgerator soup".
    Yes, people now rely on broth in tetra packs. I don't think they used bones.
    Those bones with marrow still in them was what I can remember from childhood. So much flavor. Potatoes, carrots, and just about anything that need to be used up, land in the soup.
    Been watching The Waltons reruns, they seem to have soup available all day long. The good old simpler days.....
    Annie likes this.

Speaking of ham bones (and other type of bones).....how long do they keep in the freezer without tasting rancid?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by charito View Post
    Yes, people now rely on broth in tetra packs. I don't think they used bones.
    Those bones with marrow still in them was what I can remember from childhood. So much flavor. Potatoes, carrots, and just about anything that need to be used up, land in the soup.
    Been watching The Waltons reruns, they seem to have soup available all day long. The good old simpler days.....
    Oh yeah, my gramma loved that show! That and "little house on the prairie". Soup bones and what all's been in the fridge and needs to be used up. That's very healthy.
    charito likes this.
    “Get your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape.” Planet of the Apes, 1968

Quote Originally Posted by Robie View Post
    Be careful with adding any tomato sauces in it.

Cast iron and tomatoes don't get along very well.

DAMHIKT
    Dittos. On the reactive nature of cast iron and bare aluminum in contact with tomato products. As we learned in the chili cooking hobby..choose..SS..Glass...enameled cast iron.or Anodized Aluminum.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by RJAMES View Post
    I made yet anther soup yesterday that turned out really good. As usual it started with a bit of meat for flavor in this case a ham bone and a little bit of of a sweat ham with a lot of juice. It had been frozen so I partially thawed then removed the white fat/grease that had formed on top and put it in the pot.

Added a jar of home canned tomatoes , a bag of homegrown then frozen squash and two sweet potatoes. I microwaved the potatoes then blended the tomato and squash together and put it back in the pot for a couple hours. An instapot would have done this in under 30 minutes.

It has a sweet taste from the sweet ham and sweet potato I did not add any other seasonings.

Came out good enough I think I will start canning up my extra squash and zucchini just to use in winter soups. I gave away a lot of produce with a garden it is often nothing or what the hell do I do with all this. I tend to grow a lot and then give away a lot .

Even if you don't grow your own vegetables if you buy up produce in the summer when it is cheaper and can it or make the soup and can it you could save a lot of money as well as have a ready to go food supply. Having canned the soup all you would have to do is open and eat it . Of course heating would make it taste better but you could eat cold if you had to.

I am convinced that any type of bone with a little meat on it with water , broth if you got it , and vegetables that you like will make you a good soup. This would have been good had I added a glove of garlic or an onion. Next time planning on putting in some asparagus.

The hardest part of those soups is answering questions about what kind of soup is it. But what do you call it? I call it soup.
    @RJAMES You might think about dehydrating your squash. We slice ours up with a mandolin slicer then run it through our dehydrator. You can then store it easier. We vacuum seal it in jars then add it to soups later. We also run the dehydrated squash through a blender and add it to soups and sauces as a nutritious thickener. Anyway your soup recipe sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing it!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links