Soup Recipe - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Soup Recipe

This is a discussion on Soup Recipe within the Recipes forums, part of the Food, Health and Fitness Survival category; Originally Posted by Annie Oh yeah, my gramma loved that show! That and "little house on the prairie". Soup bones and what all's been in ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Soup Recipe

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Oh yeah, my gramma loved that show! That and "little house on the prairie". Soup bones and what all's been in the fridge and needs to be used up. That's very healthy.
    Watching Little House reruns too.....
    Annie and bigwheel like this.

I may have told this story once...
    Came home late, buzzed and hungry....
    Found some soup on the stove. It was warm, had hot dogs, potatoes, carrots, porkchop pieces, all kinds of good stuff in there.
    Ate it all. Went to the livingroom where Grandpa was, and he said "before you take your boots off, be sure to go feed the dog all that old food I cleaned out of the fridge"..
    Sorry Grandpa, that dog had cold kibble that night.
    At my house now, anytime we crockpot cook a ham, two days later will be a huge pot of beans, with every scrap from the ham and bone in there.
    Just last week had one batch that you couldn't hardly find a bean in.
    Annie, charito and bigwheel like this.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

When I don't really feel like cooking, I end up boiling Chicken legs with potatoes, carrots, some onions and garlic (and/or celery, tomatoes, any form of cabbage, or bokchoy). There's always left-over broth that ends up really tasty that it becomes like jelly when put in the fridge. I strain that broth and use it for other cooking.

Yesterday, I used it to try a Mexican soup called Sopa de Fideos. I used those thin spaghetti noodles.
    It's spaghetti soup - turned out really good. It's one of those dishes that you can put in just about anything.
    Any meat will do.

They fry the dry noodles (in a little amount of oil), till they're sort of golden, is what makes it different.

https://amandascookin.com/sopa-de-fi...n-noodle-soup/
    Last edited by charito; 02-21-2018 at 04:30 AM.
    Annie and bigwheel like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

As for left-over ham (especially the fatty skin side of it at the end) - don't trim, and don't throw it away.
    Cut it in chunks, and boil with chicken, or beef blade with potatoes, carrots and cabbage. It gives a nice smoky flavor to that broth. Drizzle a few drops of lemon juice on it before serving. That fatty skin of the ham becomes so tender, it's pure heaven.
    Annie likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by charito View Post
    As for left-over ham (especially the fatty skin side of it at the end) - don't trim, and don't throw it away.
    Cut it in chunks, and boil with chicken, or beef blade with potatoes, carrots and cabbage. It gives a nice smoky flavor to that broth. Drizzle a few drops of lemon juice on it before serving. That fatty skin of the ham becomes so tender, it's pure heaven.
    I do like to skim it afterwards. Save the fat for cooking/dumplings.
    Amen, amen I say to you, that you shall lament and weep, but the world shall rejoice; and you shall be made sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.

When I don't really feel like cooking, I end up boiling Chicken legs with potatoes, carrots, some onions and garlic (and/or celery, tomatoes, any form of cabbage, or bokchoy). There's always left-over broth that ends up really tasty that it becomes like jelly when put in the fridge. I strain that broth and use it for other cooking.

Yesterday, I used it to try a Mexican soup called Sopa de Fideos. I used those thin spaghetti noodles.
    It's spaghetti soup - turned out really good. It's one of those dishes that you can put in just about anything.
    Any meat will do.

They fry the dry noodles (in a little amount of oil), till they're sort of golden, is what makes it different.

https://amandascookin.com/sopa-de-fi...n-noodle-soup/
    got it on the agenda. thanks.

I've got a nice big pot of soup simmering right now......it's basically throw-everything-in-it-kinda-soup (a ham-vegetable chowder).

As I was prepping it, I was thinking that if I'm going to can soup for survival - it's gotta be the ultimate, nutrition-wise, after all (unlike commercial canned foods), I'll be in control of what goes in it.
    I must say that this soup is loaded with nutritious vegetables. It's a one-dish well-balanced meal.
    It has milk, too (and you can fortify it by adding more powdered milk).
    And, it has loads of anti-oxidant vegetables in it. Vitamin A (beta-carotene) also helps prevent formation of cysts.
    It can be eaten as a stew.....or as soup (by adding more liquid at the time you use it).
    Amount of ingredients depends on your preference.

Charito's Ultimate Ham Chowder

Saute' with oil, chopped garlic with chopped onions, celery, and finely chopped sweet red peppers. Add cubed carrots and butternut squash (I peeled mine). I like some of the butternut squash to disintegrate in the soup (for taste and thickener), therefore, some are chopped finely. Add the cubed ham, and cubed potatoes (I like the creamy texture of yellow potatoes). Keep stirring. Add your broth and your milk. Season with salt, pepper and thyme. Bring to boil, then lower heat to simmer.

When soup is almost done, add cream of corn, and corn kernels. Thicken with slurry or with dry potato flakes (if it's not thick enough). Adjust your seasonings to your liking. Cook until done. Remove from heat. Add baby spinach leaves (stir it in).
    Last edited by charito; 05-03-2018 at 06:34 AM.
    A Watchman likes this.

I've got a nice big pot of soup simmering right now......it's basically throw-everything-in-it-kinda-soup (a ham-vegetable chowder).

As I was prepping it, I was thinking that if I'm going to can soup for survival - it's gotta be the ultimate, nutrition-wise, after all (unlike commercial canned foods), I'll be in control of what goes in it.
    I must say that this soup is loaded with nutritious vegetables. It's a one-dish well-balanced meal.
    It has milk, too (and you can fortify it by adding more powdered milk).
    And, it has loads of anti-oxidant vegetables in it. Vitamin A (beta-carotene) also helps prevent formation of cysts.
    It can be eaten as a stew.....or as soup (by adding more liquid at the time you use it).
    Amount of ingredients depends on your preference.

Charito's Ultimate Ham Chowder

Saute' with oil, chopped garlic with chopped onions, and finely chopped sweet red peppers. Add cubed carrots and butternut squash (I peeled mine). I like some of the butternut squash to disintegrate in the soup (for taste and thickener), therefore, some are chopped finely. Add the cubed ham, and cubed potatoes (I like the creamy texture of yellow potatoes). Keep stirring. Add your broth and your milk. Season with salt, pepper and thyme. Bring to boil, then lower heat to simmer.

When soup is almost done, add cream of corn, and corn kernels. Thicken with slurry or with dry potato flakes (if it's not thick enough). Adjust your seasonings to your liking. Cook until done. Remove from heat. Add baby spinach leaves (stir it in).
    Some day ..... I'm gonna have to show up at your house for dinner! Good stuff I bet!
    charito likes this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    Some day ..... I'm gonna have to show up at your house for dinner! Good stuff I bet!
    You'll be welcomed!
    A Watchman likes this.

Awesome, I love soups, had the wifes great green chile soup last night.
    Diced potatoes in boiling water, add package of raw hamburger. Boil for an hour or so. Added one ziplock bag of super hot green chile, diced. Then added two cans each of corn and green beans. DAMN it was hot last night, lunch will prob be hotter.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links