Switchel
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Switchel

This is a discussion on Switchel within the Recipes forums, part of the Food, Health and Fitness Survival category; This stuff is awesome. So awesome I can't even stand it. I can't do dairy or sugar, so all forms of kefir are out, but ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By indie
  • 1 Post By pakrat

Thread: Switchel

Super Moderator

Switchel

This stuff is awesome. So awesome I can't even stand it. I can't do dairy or sugar, so all forms of kefir are out, but then I discovered this, a probiotic old timey drink also know as Haymaker's Punch, because it was traditionally used during hard work to replenish electrolytes and rehydrate. Apple cider vinegar is not only incredibly healthful, but also very easy to make if you have access to apples. We have 9 trees on our new place .

Switchel: Nature's Healthy Gatorade

2 quarts filtered water
    1/2 cup raw apple cider vinegar preferably organic packed in glass bottles
    1/2 cup raw honey
    2 tsp ginger ground, preferably organic
    1 tsp turmeric optional, ground, preferably organic
    1 pinch cardamom optional, ground, preferably organic

I mix it up daily and can tell a difference now after a few weeks of regular drinking. This would be an excellent replacement for all those froufrou drinks.
    SOCOM42 likes this.

We called it "Hay-maker's Ale" where I come from. The use of it sort of tapered off when Gatorade became a thing. It's just a lot quicker to throw some powder in a gallon thermos jug of water when heading out on a tractor for the day. We chugged a lot of it in the 50's and 60's when tossing hay bales for hours.
    indie likes this.
    Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by pakrat View Post
    We called it "Hay-maker's Ale" where I come from. The use of it sort of tapered off when Gatorade became a thing. It's just a lot quicker to throw some powder in a gallon thermos jug of water when heading out on a tractor for the day. We chugged a lot of it in the 50's and 60's when tossing hay bales for hours.
    I've never been able to stand the taste of Gatorade, but this stuff is delicious!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I know some Rev War reenactors who add Oatmeal and other grains to make more of a meal and drink. There are some old/odd recipes for this drink but I think I will stick to the basic that the OP posted

al

Good, drank a similar drink in the past, now I have to avoid acidic anything.

Every so often I have some and my stomach reminds my why I should not.

I love hot pepper stuff, Mexican food, but GI track rebels in a major way.

Confined to bland food products, but do sneak in some black pepper.

Use to eat pepperochini right out of jar and drink the juice back in the 70's..

Seems interesting, May try it but not sure how it will affect my blood sugar with the honey...
    Considering its only 1/2 a cup probably shouldn't affect it much.
    Maybe just don't use the honey if I make it?

Sponsored Links