Ukrainian/Russian/Siberian food
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Ukrainian/Russian/Siberian food within the Recipes forums, part of the Food, Health and Fitness Survival category; Creating this thread for the purpose of throwing-in some interesting recipes from time to time. Some from web links and some family, all reviewed and ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Ukrainian/Russian/Siberian food

TG

Creating this thread for the purpose of throwing-in some interesting recipes from time to time. Some from web links and some family, all reviewed and tried
    Please feel free to post yours, I know I'm not the only poster here with my background.

TG

Everyone loves Blini (type of crepe or pancake), they can be prepared a thousand different ways, this link shows 3 fun recipes to try.
    We have this holiday, called Maslenitsa (butter week) celebrated before Eastern Orthodox Lent, everyone eats blini!

3 unusual pancake recipes | Russia Beyond The Headlines
    bigwheel, Denton and A Watchman like this.

TG

Ukrainian/Russian/Siberian food-img_7186.jpg

BORSH / Борщ

Ingredients:

2 beets, peeled and cut julienne
    1 large carrot, peeled and cut julienne
    2 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
    2 tomatoes, diced
    Juice of ˝ lemon
    2 L of water
    1 tbsp of sea salt
    6 medium-size potatoes, medium diced
    ˝ cabbage (sliced julienne)
    1 large red onion, diced
    5-7 whole black peppercorns
    1/2 Teaspoon of cayenne
    3-4 bay leaves
    3 tbsp fresh coriander
    5 garlic cloves, diced
    1/2 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
    Sour cream (as much as you like!), add a spoon-full on top of bosh in each plate, each person will prefer a different amount.

Directions
    Heat up oil in a large pot over medium/high heat. Add beets, carrots, onions, tomatoes and garlic and black pepper.
    Add lemon juice to the vegetables and stir.
    Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for 20 min.
    Boil water in a kettle. Add the water to the vegetables after they have been simmering for 20 min.
    Bring to a boil and add salt.
    Add diced potatoes and shredded cabbage to the soup and cook for 20 minutes.
    Add bay leaves and coriander to the soup and continue cooking for another 5-10 minutes until potatoes are cooked but not falling apart.
    Remove borsch from the heat and leave it in the fridge overnight, tastes a lot better next day.
    When serving borsch, add sour cream and fresh herbs to individual bowls.
    Sour cream is best from a small farm but any kind will do.

Individual results may vary, depending on how hot your stove is or if you're using a gas stove, so please keep an eye on it and check for softness of your potatoes. Once the potatoes are cooked, you're done!
    Also, I like lots of black pepper but you may reduce the amount I wrote

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Do they have "Tamper with US election" stew? Just kidding, Hillary did that to herself. I have often wondered how our Russian counterparts eat. I know that their field rations are wonderful compared to ours. Breads, pate, beef and noodles, jams, cake, fruits and nuts. Mine have stale fig newtons, nasty osmotic raisins and stuck together skittles.

Last edited by csi-tech; 12-17-2016 at 04:10 PM.
    TG likes this.
    "There is a destiny that shapes our ends, Rough, hew them as we will."

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7186.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	295.2 KB 
ID:	32706

BORSH / Борщ

Ingredients:

2 beets, peeled and cut julienne
    1 large carrot, peeled and cut julienne
    2 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
    2 tomatoes, diced
    Juice of ˝ lemon
    2 L of water
    1 tbsp of sea salt
    6 medium-size potatoes, medium diced
    ˝ cabbage (sliced julienne)
    1 large red onion, diced
    5-7 whole black peppercorns
    1/2 Teaspoon of cayenne
    3-4 bay leaves
    3 tbsp fresh coriander
    5 garlic cloves, diced
    1/2 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
    Sour cream (as much as you like!), add a spoon-full on top of bosh in each plate, each person will prefer a different amount.

Directions
    Heat up oil in a large pot over medium/high heat. Add beets, carrots, onions, tomatoes and garlic and black pepper.
    Add lemon juice to the vegetables and stir.
    Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and simmer for 20 min.
    Boil water in a kettle. Add the water to the vegetables after they have been simmering for 20 min.
    Bring to a boil and add salt.
    Add diced potatoes and shredded cabbage to the soup and cook for 20 minutes.
    Add bay leaves and coriander to the soup and continue cooking for another 5-10 minutes until potatoes are cooked but not falling apart.
    Remove borsch from the heat and leave it in the fridge overnight, tastes a lot better next day.
    When serving borsch, add sour cream and fresh herbs to individual bowls.
    Sour cream is best from a small farm but any kind will do.

Individual results may vary, depending on how hot your stove is or if you're using a gas stove, so please keep an eye on it and check for softness of your potatoes. Once the potatoes are cooked, you're done!
    Also, I like lots of black pepper but you may reduce the amount I wrote
    Sounds delicious. I am off work tomorrow and will try it out. It is very cold here right now and hot soup is very enticing. Next day soups and stews and chilies are the best ^^ you are right. BTw the color of that Borcht is amazing.
    TG and bigwheel like this.
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
    ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

I'm not a pretender...I am not Russian..I'm German and French background. I have cooked borscht before, and enjoy the flavors. I also make a pretty mean Beef Stroganoff too.

With the Stroganoff I slow cook the beef all day and make the sauce from the stock of the slow cooked beef mixed with sour cream, chanterelles, 1 jalapeno to spice it up, black pepper, garlic, onions, salt and butter.
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”

TG

Quote Originally Posted by csi-tech View Post
    Do they have "Tamper with US election" stew? Just kidding, Hillary did that to herself. I have often wondered how our Russian counterparts eat. I know that their field rations are wonderful compared to ours. Breads, pate, beef and noodles, jams, cake, fruits and nuts. Mine have stale fig newtons, nasty osmotic raisins and stuck together skittles.

I have never seen this type of food ration before but the guy "discovering" this "ration" is very funny.
    The packaging suggests that it's for humour to amuse tourists, but I may be wrong.

TG

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarök View Post
    I'm not a pretender...I am not Russian..I'm German and French background. I have cooked borscht before, and enjoy the flavors. I also make a pretty mean Beef Stroganoff too.

With the Stroganoff I slow cook the beef all day and make the sauce from the stock of the slow cooked beef mixed with sour cream, chanterelles, 1 jalapeno to spice it up, black pepper, garlic, onions, salt and butter.
    I rarely eat meat but it sounds like you understand flavours, bland food is bad for the soul
    I like hot peppers in almost everything

BTW, who would ever actually want to pretend to be Russian anyway? We're currently the bad guys

Is it meat in general that you stay away from or just red meat?

I think you guys/gals are the most sane given today's current events and response from your government. I respect Putin, see high intelligence, but honestly I also fear that intelligence.

Putin is a great leader that is a fact.

Hillary is a witch that also is a fact.

Don't know beans about Russians but, this should be interesting.
    TG likes this.
    And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;... Genesis 16:12

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links