Answer for urban preppers- thoughts? - Page 6
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Answer for urban preppers- thoughts?

This is a discussion on Answer for urban preppers- thoughts? within the Realtor Bug Out Land Links forums, part of the News & Links category; Originally Posted by pheniox17 If you did, you wouldn't have asked such a question.... Rural communities know their neighbors well, more so in aus when ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Answer for urban preppers- thoughts?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pheniox17 View Post
    If you did, you wouldn't have asked such a question.... Rural communities know their neighbors well, more so in aus when medical help is quite a travel away
    Not sure which question I asked that was so revealing yet so incorrect. I grew up in the rocky mountians with no large cities within a 200 mile radius. The lifestyle was very much a mixture of agriculture, mining, and forrestry.

tinkehell, I understand this is just all food for though. A major difference will be the city will be mass confusion depending on cause and level of shtf the will be no order sanity.
    look back at day of rage, Watts riots and Detroit. Those were minor and not really nation wide. They were even very limited in areas effected. 16,000 troops could not restore order for some time.
    At least out here there will be time for a more though out approach ,time to prepare a reaction if there is to be a flood head this way.
    The first fire boom the angry mobs will not it here first. No doubt in time some good people many bad ones will come this way, that again is why we prepare.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerhell View Post
    I believe you may have it backwards.

It is advantageous for raiding parties to form and operate outside of the large centres, because a raiding force of 50 people will be unstoppable in the country, but will get massacred in a city of a million people.
    Yes, there will be a huge burst of people fleeing the cities the first 10 days but I suspect most of them will have an idea of where to go and will have some food and fuel with them. This first burst of people will probably be more civilized, goal oriented long term thinkers who mostly will not be looking for trouble. People who work for a living, generally have some money in the bank instead of living week to week, and don't wait for their welfare check each month.

I suspect that any larger nasty groups will stay in the environment (urban area) they know devouring and damaging the local assets left by the initial rush of people out of the city until due to lack of resources they are forced to scavenge further afield. This will take some time, weeks or perhaps several months.

By that time smaller towns will probably have organized a little to help their residents and developed a bit of a defensive force to keep people who show up with little in the way of resources or local knowledge out. While most people in rural areas only keep a few boxes of shells around I'd hate to see the result of 50 looters vs 20 local deer hunters who have known the local area and each other since birth. They will fight to defend their neighbors and property. It's not like the movie "Deliverance" out here but people look out for their neighbors and everyone has a rifle and knows how to use it, even the ladies at the church socials know how to shoot, keeping the vermin (skunks to coyotes) under control is a part of daily life.

I'm doubt SHTF will ever happen to that degree and hope it doesn't but while the locals don't mind visitors it takes years to be accepted into a community in a rural area but once accepted your extended family is the population of the closest town.
    Last edited by 8301; 11-22-2015 at 12:21 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Well.... I am a city peeper I live just a 8 minute drive from New York City. It's tight compact and parking is a nightmare after 6pm. Doesn't get much more congested then that. My prep capacity with the family size I have and the apartment I live in only allows me to store 6 months worth the food and water max that's sacrificing space and other hobbies.

We have a small garden and a small rain catch system. We are learning to can and preserve. We are stocked on legal weapons and such along with medical. I suspect I can bunker down and defend my home well to the point of deterring people to just move on there is no easy meal here.

Over all goal is to get a few acres upstate build a cabin a few sheds, secure the property the best I can and make my way there after the waves of people clear out.

While waiting I have tools for savaging my urban area won't get into details what tools for what purpose but enough to scavenge what I need from the surrounding area that has been abandoned. Only what we need and never looting.

So w big out location huge plus in my book a community bug out location not so much what happens when your a have in a have not society? My guess share or be attacked. In the end you can only trust your self and immediate family. Again just my opinion.

XMULE- still here- lurking. Us Wisconsinites must think somewhat alike! I've enjoyed all the comments/posts. I always try to consider secondary benefits, and I think for a lot of folks, that having a real BOL which would double as a weekend or vacation destination, would beat storing bottles of water under the sink in a 3rd floor condo or apt in the city. I envision (in my dreams) at least one party would be full-time, and act as guardian/caretaker. I routinely check-out Land Watch for land in your area & a little North too.

Originally Posted by Kron1
    I would envision a sewage drain field that could be snuck into use from the underground shelter if/when needed, which would also have a hand-pump/well head, again probably illegal, but do-able. For regular use for the cabins, outhouses & pits.

Quote Originally Posted by pheniox17 View Post
    So no to buckets, are magic shipping part of the business plan?
    Why I love Africa.....Real solutions!

Answer for urban preppers- thoughts?-african-toilet.jpg

Answer for urban preppers- thoughts?-danger-snakes.jpg
    Slippy likes this.
    This is the last US Presidential Election. Take notes and pictures for the great-grandkids.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    Do you think that raiders would try to protect the farmers and ranchers in order to extort more food from them? I don't think they would kill them because these type of people know nothing about how to raise food. At some point the rural folks will kill them.

In my opinion it would be smart to have a trusted group. My group is the neighbors. We all share the common interest of protecting our land. 2 people will be stretched to thin just keeping watch, nevermind everything else that needs doing.

POS raider types wouldn't think along those terms - they'd seize a few farms and take locals as slaves if they intended to stay in the area and depend on it's food production ..... much more like locust than bees
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    POS raider types wouldn't think along those terms - they'd seize a few farms and take locals as slaves if they intended to stay in the area and depend on it's food production ..... much more like locust than bees
    That's true....but the reality is that Raiders would most likely kill all the animals on the farm, have a big cookout, rip out whatever crops were ready, or close to harvest, kill the owners, burn the house, then move on to the next food source farm. Why be bothered with having to "work" the farm, slaves or not, when easy fresh abundant pickings are just down the dirt road.
    Last edited by SittingElf; 04-04-2016 at 10:08 AM.
    This is the last US Presidential Election. Take notes and pictures for the great-grandkids.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by SittingElf View Post
    That's true....but the reality is that Raiders would most likely kill all the animals on the farm, have a big cookout, rip out whatever crops were ready, or close to harvest, kill the owners, burn the house, then move on to the next food source farm. Why be bothered with having to "work" the farm, slaves or not, when easy fresh abundant pickings are just down the dirt road.

most of the raider groups wouldn't be that big - just big enough to handle an isolated family farm or a small village widespot - hit & run .... even in a WROL situation you'll have forces mutually responding together .... a raider group wouldn't stay long enough for a counter-force to enmass and wipe them out ....
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Sponsored Links