Answer for urban preppers- thoughts? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Answer for urban preppers- thoughts?

This is a discussion on Answer for urban preppers- thoughts? within the Realtor Bug Out Land Links forums, part of the News & Links category; Originally Posted by tinkerhell All you loners are naive. A group like the posse will eat you for lunch. I do not live in town ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Answer for urban preppers- thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerhell View Post
    All you loners are naive. A group like the posse will eat you for lunch.
    I do not live in town , I live in the country lots of woods and swampy areas, everglades are 35 miles away, if ever need to bug out . all plans and the way we have things set up is to bug in
    and with what we have we can last at least a year. I don't think we are naďve, we have been prepping for years and know what we can and cannot deal with.
    Some of us are prepared and some are not.
    rice paddy daddy, Slippy and jimLE like this.
    You build on failure, you use it as a stepping stone.
    Johnny Cash.

Time for Renec to chime in! I tend to agree with Tinker. You should find a community in which your mindset fits into. It has been a rewarding situation getting involved in my new hometown..meeting all these wonderful folks and realizing that many of them came here for the same reasons I did. We're making a difference teaching skills to folks we may have to depend upon if and when things go bad. And they are in turn making connections to a larger community.
    It's not a secret that I'm an Oath Keeper affiliate. But what I've found especially interesting in the past few months is that my spouse and I have been approached by outside groups to teach communications to local and not-so-local prepper groups,the 3%ers and have had some good contact with groups as far as California and lots of contact with groups in the Valley. It's going to take most of us working together to keep this civilization from becoming just a forgotten dream.
    the Paris incident may have awoken quite a few folks. I'm willing to help. And in turn,offers of help have been extended to me.
    Sorry,I may have wandered off track!
    You will need a community to weather what's coming.Find one,or make one. I pray we have another year.
    “A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”- Robert A. Heinlein

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerhell View Post
    All you loners are naive. A group like the posse will eat you for lunch. The best you can hope for is that you go unnoticed, because you have no support system.

By the time "the posse" (whoever they are) ransack the easy pickin's in/near/close to the city they will no longer have the gasoline to drive out here. And they wouldn't walk this far.
    We have several neighbors we can depend on, every homestead out here has at least a shotgun and a deer rifle.
    But as far as "forming a group" we are pretty independent out here in the land of God, guns, and grit.
    Slippy, slewfoot and Renec like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The group idea follows the principle "strength in numbers"..... but know all of your numbers very well and be very watchful.
    Kron1, slewfoot and Renec like this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Fora different take on the question...

As far as a money making idea for you, maybe not so bad. Personally, I would have a tough time taking people's money when certain aspects of the deal (sewage, water supply, zoning) were, let's say less than ideal. I'm not claiming any moral high ground here, capice? But yes, with a location near enough, and still far enough away from a good size metro area, you might get enough interest to make some money, if that is your basic intent. And they would get a return, land for recreational use, some hunting or shooting opportunities, camping that sort of thing.

As far as communal living, lol... I watched a small, call it a commune?, sort of grow organically, centered around drugs. Strange, but they were like minded individuals, up to 20 ish at times all living in a farm house, a small ranch house on the same property, and a sort of apartment built into a pretty decent size (think 60 x 80) shed. Also, in a pop up camper, and for a couple years (even the midwest winter) one guy in a tent. He had a small tent, inside a bigger one! Actually pretty snug with a ceramic heater and extension cord.

Don't get me wrong, it was a mess. People shooting up, shooting each other up, infidelity, overdoses, divorce, bizarre drama, a couple deaths. But, it lasted for a surprisingly long time, and in a way (minus the drugs, mostly) is still going. Some of the original group are still living there, which should go to show, stuff like this can and does go on, with people living not so much off grid, but under the radar. Except when the cops show up. But they never got nailed for code violations. No one ever said (even after a raid, I lost two guns that I LEGALLY OWNED on that one, I refused to go pick them up from the station after I heard what else got confiscated, lol) hey you can't live in that pop up. Or whats with the tent. Weird. But, there it is.

I say, doable, but man you better have the right people, willing to pitch in. I'd punch someone who didn't pull their own weight, I'm too old to be patient with that stuff. I'd be a terrible commune dweller.
    8301 and jimLE like this.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
    ― Frédéric Bastiat, The Law

Quote Originally Posted by XMULE View Post
    It's still nice to "what if" every now and then. On THIS prepper/prepping forum, the "lone survivor" or at least maybe "lone family survivor" mindset it right out front. And that's a legitimate choice, to each his own.

I grew up in a small, isolated rural christian community, probably 100 or so church members, in a town of a little less than 500. It's doable. Not quite the same as what KRON1 is talking about, different scale and intent, but I'm not so fast to say "no way".

And I'm quite familiar with human nature, I was one of the bad ones for a long, long time. Easier for me to pick out the others, maybe. Or at least, I hope.

Anyway.

It's the illegal part that bothers me, although you wouldn't think so. My GF knows some of what I used to be into, she is always so surprised when I say we shouldn't do something, because it is against some rule or regulation. She shouldn't be, all it takes is one person flapping their gums to ruin a good thing for everyone involved, or one nosy, goody 2 shoes neighbor, or unbribeable official.

If the county or state regulations say you have to have say, a minimum 900 square foot residence on a certain type of foundation, and a septic TANK for every residence, you WILL end up with eviction notices if you don't follow the rules. I am not looking to intentionally put myself in a situation where I have to fight the government or lose my investment, over a septic tank. Wrong or right, fair or not, that's the law. A place like this would fall under "unincorporated township" laws, or something similar, and there would be some rules for that. Might not be a big deal, depending on location.

But to say right off the top that yeah, we will be breaking some sanitation laws, well, lol, not the best start. Points for honesty, and maybe if I knew the location, and YOU, I would be less concerned over the little things. It's just something people would have to know about, so they don't have a big shock when the yellow paper was stuck to their cabin door.

Anyway, I grew up with an outhouse. Not a big deal. My GF works with the Amish pretty regular, they do it.

I never spoke to anyone about the Citadel, but I thought it sounded nice. Too bad everyone lost their investments, and the major players are at each others throats now...

On the other hand, the "Earthship" desert community made it, and got state permission to build those not to code dwellings, so it can be done. From the regulatory side, and the "human terrain" side.

Let's build this theoretical prepper community, theoretically.

Yeah, not so sure about that "lone wolf" or "it's me against the world" mindset either. Survival isn't going to happen unless there is a group or network, and cooperation.

I didn't really intend to emphasize 'illegal' stuff- I guess a septic system & flushers would be in order (for the good-times), but I was thinking something that could be switched into the drain field, from the underground shelter, if/when it really hit the fan- I think, at that point, the town zoning inspector would be busy trying to survive himself (all bets would be off). And outhouse pits could be dug at that time as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pheniox17 View Post
    So no to buckets, are magic shipping part of the business plan?
    pheniox17- I don't know what to make of your post- I don't understand what you are asking, but at any rate, no, magic shipping aren't part of the plan (it's not proposed or intended to be a business).

Quote Originally Posted by Viper View Post
    Sounds to me like one of the 1st places a raiding party (read gang) would hit.
    Yes, and they would likely be unsuccessful when confronting a very prepared and coordinated group. Better they should target the lone wolves.
    MaterielGeneral likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    I am going to join the pessimist group, . . . saying it would not work, . . . might for a while, . . . but probably go sour pretty fast.

You have to look at the people you are trying to attract, . . . until the SHTF, . . . they are city folks, . . . used to, rely on, and love all the amenities and services given them by the community power they derive from the "herd" in which they live.

Now you want them to leave their Starbucks, Macy's, Sears, Office Depot, Dunkin Doughnuts, friday nite football at the high school, saturday at the university, and sunday the NFL, . . . and go traipsing off in the boonies with you hoping to secure a large enough possum to be able to make stew tonight.

Nahhh, . . . never happen.

What is more likely, some of us will survive because of prior prepping, . . . having proper tools, . . . proper mindset, . . . and a big dose of answered prayer. Slowly but surely we will then migrate into groups devoid of the mainstream urbanites who just simply could not cope.

It is in all reality a harsh scenario, . . . and after having thought it through, . . . I know that in my little area alone, . . . there are not over two dozen of the 200 around here who are capable of surviving past 6 months, . . . without someone bowing to their every whim, need, desire. And when SHTF, . . . the needers and the needy will unfortunately just die off.

Don't bring a bunch of needers out to your 100 acres, . . . one of them will kill you for your last jar of sweet potatoes.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Dwight55- Are you saying city folks can't be good preppers and survivors? You lump them all in a single category and make it sound as though you feel that you're far abler than them- without even knowing the individuals. Besides, it would be a very careful selection process to ensure everyone in the group was very serious and capable. As far as them having to give up their Starbucks, Macy's, etc., isn't that where we'll all be? Everyone will have to do without a lot of things they've become used to- that's the whole idea and purpose behind this idea- people getting prepared and learning how to survive in tough times with a lot less. Then you say "...some of US (my emphasis) will survive because of prior prepping....having proper tools,....proper mindset,....." these are exactly the things these folks would be doing.
    Dirt Road Cowboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by slewfoot View Post
    Every time we get a new person joining about the first thing they want to do is recruit for a commune. This will not work, Again I will give my .02 worth.
    First thing that will happen is there will come a time when a new alpha dog wants to challenge the leadership so there will be a lot of in fighting, lines drawn, sides chosen and loss of trust.
    next, when supplies start to run low people will turn on each other and believe me a hungry man with a hungry family will do desperate things.
    My wife and I will be loners we feel we can only trust each other .
    So my friend if you want to look over your shoulder 24/7 while living in your little community have at it but I will not be one of them.
    First, I'm not recruiting. I've merely thought along the lines of what I posted for quite a while, and am interested in what others may think about it, pro or con. I know full-well that personalities would be the most difficult part of such an undertaking, but I also know that humans have lived together for millions of years, and have governed themselves with fairly good success. The non-successful times (other than minor differences which resolve within a group) seem to occur when one group opposes another (outsiders). My proposal doesn't include a leader or "alpha dog". I think some democratic system could be set up that would allow such a group to cope with differences, etc. And, hopefully, supplies wouldn't run low- the group would have the capability to sustain their supplies of food and other necessities. We (the group in our little community) may have to look over our shoulders 24/7, but remember, you two will both have to be asleep 8 of those 24 hours.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links