Answer for urban preppers- thoughts? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Answer for urban preppers- thoughts?

This is a discussion on Answer for urban preppers- thoughts? within the Realtor Bug Out Land Links forums, part of the News & Links category; Originally Posted by Kron1 I would envision a sewage drain field that could be snuck into use from the underground shelter if/when needed, which would ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Answer for urban preppers- thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Kron1 View Post
    I would envision a sewage drain field that could be snuck into use from the underground shelter if/when needed, which would also have a hand-pump/well head, again probably illegal, but do-able. For regular use for the cabins, outhouses & pits.

Like minded people might be the biggest problem-

You said it........Like minded people might be the biggest problem. I see it as a time of survival, not the buddy system. human nature is very predictable when all the cards have been played and the equality for all of us mindset takes a back seat.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

I would envision a sewage drain field that could be snuck into use from the underground shelter if/when needed, which would also have a hand-pump/well head, again probably illegal, but do-able. For regular use for the cabins, outhouses & pits.

So no to buckets, are magic shipping part of the business plan?
    They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them

Lest we forget

Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

It's still nice to "what if" every now and then. On THIS prepper/prepping forum, the "lone survivor" or at least maybe "lone family survivor" mindset it right out front. And that's a legitimate choice, to each his own.

I grew up in a small, isolated rural christian community, probably 100 or so church members, in a town of a little less than 500. It's doable. Not quite the same as what KRON1 is talking about, different scale and intent, but I'm not so fast to say "no way".

And I'm quite familiar with human nature, I was one of the bad ones for a long, long time. Easier for me to pick out the others, maybe. Or at least, I hope.

Anyway.

It's the illegal part that bothers me, although you wouldn't think so. My GF knows some of what I used to be into, she is always so surprised when I say we shouldn't do something, because it is against some rule or regulation. She shouldn't be, all it takes is one person flapping their gums to ruin a good thing for everyone involved, or one nosy, goody 2 shoes neighbor, or unbribeable official.

If the county or state regulations say you have to have say, a minimum 900 square foot residence on a certain type of foundation, and a septic TANK for every residence, you WILL end up with eviction notices if you don't follow the rules. I am not looking to intentionally put myself in a situation where I have to fight the government or lose my investment, over a septic tank. Wrong or right, fair or not, that's the law. A place like this would fall under "unincorporated township" laws, or something similar, and there would be some rules for that. Might not be a big deal, depending on location.

But to say right off the top that yeah, we will be breaking some sanitation laws, well, lol, not the best start. Points for honesty, and maybe if I knew the location, and YOU, I would be less concerned over the little things. It's just something people would have to know about, so they don't have a big shock when the yellow paper was stuck to their cabin door.

Anyway, I grew up with an outhouse. Not a big deal. My GF works with the Amish pretty regular, they do it.

I never spoke to anyone about the Citadel, but I thought it sounded nice. Too bad everyone lost their investments, and the major players are at each others throats now...

On the other hand, the "Earthship" desert community made it, and got state permission to build those not to code dwellings, so it can be done. From the regulatory side, and the "human terrain" side.

Let's build this theoretical prepper community, theoretically.
    Horrorshow, Renec and Mule13 like this.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
    ― Frédéric Bastiat, The Law

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Sounds to me like one of the 1st places a raiding party (read gang) would hit.
    A Watchman, slewfoot and Mule13 like this.
    I deal in lead, friend

I am going to join the pessimist group, . . . saying it would not work, . . . might for a while, . . . but probably go sour pretty fast.

You have to look at the people you are trying to attract, . . . until the SHTF, . . . they are city folks, . . . used to, rely on, and love all the amenities and services given them by the community power they derive from the "herd" in which they live.

Now you want them to leave their Starbucks, Macy's, Sears, Office Depot, Dunkin Doughnuts, friday nite football at the high school, saturday at the university, and sunday the NFL, . . . and go traipsing off in the boonies with you hoping to secure a large enough possum to be able to make stew tonight.

Nahhh, . . . never happen.

What is more likely, some of us will survive because of prior prepping, . . . having proper tools, . . . proper mindset, . . . and a big dose of answered prayer. Slowly but surely we will then migrate into groups devoid of the mainstream urbanites who just simply could not cope.

It is in all reality a harsh scenario, . . . and after having thought it through, . . . I know that in my little area alone, . . . there are not over two dozen of the 200 around here who are capable of surviving past 6 months, . . . without someone bowing to their every whim, need, desire. And when SHTF, . . . the needers and the needy will unfortunately just die off.

Don't bring a bunch of needers out to your 100 acres, . . . one of them will kill you for your last jar of sweet potatoes.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Slippy, Arklatex, slewfoot and 1 others like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Seems to me that urban preppers face a grim outlook. If I had, say, a 100 acre, mostly wooded, abandoned farmstead, how about offering a type of "condo" arrangement where small dwelling cabins designed for off-grid, could be purchased. The resulting 'community' of dwellings/families would be of like-minded people who could work and plan together in preparing for various scenarios. There could be some common-use equipment and features, such as water well, underground shelter (which could sub for survival item storage, meeting area, etc.). Also, community gardening, animal raising, etc.

I think urban folks might make such an investment in order to have a viable bug-out location, while in the mean-time being able to use it for a week-end and mini-vacation destination (or live full-time)- all while honing their off-grid living skills and engaging in their prepping passion.

What's wrong with this scenario?
    It will most likely fail.

A better idea is to find a small group of trusted and like minded people. Subdivide the land and each person or family is responsible for buying their own piece of land, building their own shelter, and adhering to the laws/regulations/codes.

You can all help each other along the way but I assure you, you will determine who has the commitment and resolve to go the distance and who are simply the big talkers and/or dreamers.

Once the players are determined, and it may take years, then you can set up some communal or shared common areas; like that for a large garden, or barns or repair shops, etc. As well as division of duties; medical, armorers, farmers, etc
    Arklatex, 8301, Renec and 2 others like this.

Banned

I think Slippy has the best idea but I agree with him, it will be difficult to do and take a lot of time.
    Last edited by 8301; 11-25-2015 at 07:44 AM.
    Arklatex, Slippy, Renec and 1 others like this.

Every time we get a new person joining about the first thing they want to do is recruit for a commune. This will not work, Again I will give my .02 worth.
    First thing that will happen is there will come a time when a new alpha dog wants to challenge the leadership so there will be a lot of in fighting, lines drawn, sides chosen and loss of trust.
    next, when supplies start to run low people will turn on each other and believe me a hungry man with a hungry family will do desperate things.
    My wife and I will be loners we feel we can only trust each other .
    So my friend if you want to look over your shoulder 24/7 while living in your little community have at it but I will not be one of them.
    Slippy and rice paddy daddy like this.
    You build on failure, you use it as a stepping stone.
    Johnny Cash.

Banned

All you loners are naive. A group like the posse will eat you for lunch. The best you can hope for is that you go unnoticed, because you have no support system.

Creating your own community is just as unlikely.

I reccomend that you get to know your existing community, and realize that they are part of your life line.
    Renec, Arklatex, Kron1 and 2 others like this.

Why not just do it right to start with, if the cabins don't have water build a centralized bath/shower area like a campground? Put in a septic system/lagoon system and be done with it. You can still flush with buckets of water.
    Slippy and Kron1 like this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links