Building a home... Advice?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Building a home... Advice? within the Preppers Retreat and Lodge forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; Ok, we are currently in the process of "getting out of Dodge" (moving back to the country) and have some land on which to put ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Building a home... Advice?

Ok, we are currently in the process of "getting out of Dodge" (moving back to the country) and have some land on which to put a home. We want to keep it affordable and would consider a mobile home, modular home, cookie-cutter blueprint, or even a custom design. Some things I would like to account for include tornado protection(cellar or strong room), room for food storage and other preps, well water, electricity backup, etc.

Does anyone have experience or ideas they'd like to share? We've only rented before and this is all new to us.

Where we'll feed your trespassing ass to the gators.
    The problem with most home choices whether less or more expensive is one tornado can turn it to rubble. Nothing wrong with starting with a mobile or modular home and building another in time. You've got to do what you can afford when you can afford it and you better off getting to and living on the land than waiting for the perfect solution at this point. There and building on it as you can, prepping and being is better than not. For long term or now if you can afford it and find a way, underground structures may be near perfect for you. I'm looking at that same future and working towards it myself.

Underground Homes - Earth Sheltered Berm Buildings
    PreparedTexan and Irish like this.

Long term I'd like a good, strong home, however an underground home is not very feasible in my area. We have a high water table and anything people put underground gets flooded. For some reason, no one seems to be able to waterproof underground structures here. :shrug:
    I believe in gun control - a good shooter's grip should be taught at a young age.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Where we'll feed your trespassing ass to the gators.
    Quote Originally Posted by PreparedTexan View Post
    Long term I'd like a good, strong home, however an underground home is not very feasible in my area. We have a high water table and anything people put underground gets flooded. For some reason, no one seems to be able to waterproof underground structures here. :shrug:
    They should be able to build a covered earth home with a concrete and rebar dome/s and cover it so you're above the water table while still providing the protection you'd like. There's always a way to overcome problems. It's just a matter of how and how much it costs.

Earth Sheltered Buildings
    PreparedTexan, Irish and nadja like this.

Personally in tornado country i would want to have a cellar that can double as a fully functioning home under the home..

Since have designed several homes in the past I took it upon myself to draw out some of what i would do cause I love thinking about all the great possibilities.

Soo many expansion possibilities.

Building a home... Advice?-bunker-house-cheap.jpg
    PreparedTexan likes this.

It would be good to make a combined storm shelter, safe/panic room, and gun/ammo room, and include food and water storage.

Backup power generator -- whole house would be great.

Cistern system to catch rainwater for irrigation, fire fighting water, and emergency supplies.

Hidden room and secret passage to safe/panic room.

Underground utilities -- cannot cut power or phone lines.

Above ground fuel storage tank, preferably inside a building.

Steel doors in bedrooms for fire and intruder protection.

Outdoor shower -- just because.

Watchtower -- be the first on your block.

Four car garage -- for the ATVs and tractor.

Workshop with power and water.

Satellite TV.

Outdoor kitchen and fireplace -- again, just because.

Rifle and pistol range.

Storage building.

Victory garden with raised beds, fenced, and piped to cistern system.

Pond for backup water, fish, and irrigation. Also can attract wildlife.

Outdoor pavilion to work on equipment and have a place to celebrate, BBQ, and gather with family and friends.

Room for dogs, including wash tub.

Man cave, home theater, and hot tub. You'll thank me later.
    PreparedTexan, survival and nadja like this.

My house just finished over the summer. But before I can really answer your question I kinda need to know what kinda budget you are working with.
    “Every person's life is theirs by right. An individuals life can and must only belong to himself, no to any society or community, or he is then but a slave."

sounds crazy and i never heard anyone doing it but if you can swing it, one corner a year do carbon fiber joints. i have been in construction/property management for 20 yrs and dont know why they wouldnt do this in tornado country. also ifn you can fashion up a barometer alarm after it goes down to a certain point it sounds an alarn saying tornado is likely eminent, buying yer fam and extra min or two. i would envision it would looksomething like a smoke alarm. i grew up in texas, horrified of tornadoes. but we never had a storm cellar we spent a good deal of time huddled in a closet scared to death. dont live like that. get a cellar, use sump pumps if you have to. do regular inspections of the area soits not floode if you need it. if you can swing it an under ground area with storage for after action survival and comfort.

.....for cheap carbon fiber to enhance the house joints if you wanna check forthe carbon fiber plastics that didnt live through a sport bike wad up.
    Irish and TXannie like this.

rob

The outdoor shower is for chemical weapon decontamination. You're starting off better than I was. We bought a fixer upper. The features that I either made, or am in the process of making include a large food storage, a well that can be refitted fairly quickly to a hand pump, wood heat (mine has an electrical fan, but when needed it can be run without it.), space for those things (armory, medical storage, brooding chickens) and a siziable kitcken where a chimney and cook stove can be used, though aside from what could be cooked on the wood stove, I'm starting to figure that building a good outdoor kitchen might make the house more liviable in warm weather. I have been renovating to this end and with a break while I was stationed on the Gulf Coast, for years. Sometimes I wish I had started from scratch and built what I wanted, instead of refitting from what I have.

I can provide info on building your own well drilling equipment (in about a month - using cell at moment) most expensive part is air compresser. Can help with design of hidden room as far as location and design that fools the eye; been a hobby sense I was a kid.

There is also some new (cheap tech- under $3,000) called Concrete Canvas that would allow you to build a 172sq ft concrete shelter that you can set up and is done within 24hrs. Worth reading about.

If you bury a shipping container hit me up because unless you reinforce the sides and top it is super dangerous, the center panels aren't as strong as the reinforced rest. Easy to fix though if you have a welder.

Know a bit about other stuff too, pm me.
    Typos courtesy of "Auto-Correct" software.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links