BOL's are out there, affordable and just waiting for you...

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on BOL's are out there, affordable and just waiting for you... within the Preppers Retreat and Lodge forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; I've seen a lot of talk about people bugging out, etc. but far too little talk about WHERE people are bugging out to. We bought ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: BOL's are out there, affordable and just waiting for you...

I've seen a lot of talk about people bugging out, etc. but far too little talk about WHERE people are bugging out to.

We bought our BOL/Retreat/weekend get-away spot last year, and a lot of folks say "wow, I wish I could afford to do that..."

It's not free, but it's not nearly as expensive as most people think it is... here, let me prove it to you.

We live in North Missouri, so I did a sampling of one place for sale per county (some counties in NEMO do not currently have what I am considering "affordable" land for sale). Here's what I found:

Here's a nice 20 acres in Schuyler, with tillable land and you could make a killer homestead here, asking $54K
    Lancaster, Schuyler County, Missouri land for sale - 20 acres at LandWatch.com

Here's a place in Putnam that has some great hunting ground (garden would have to be cleared) and has a cabin already at the location (rough cabin that needs finishing)
    Unionville, Putnam County, Missouri land for sale - 9 acres at LandWatch.com

Here's a place in Knox, rural water already on the land, electricity at the road, stream, prime whitetail/quail country. Perfect spot for a homestead.
    Hurdland, Knox County, Missouri land for sale - 24.3 acres at LandWatch.com

Want something all ready to go? This is more expensive, but it's a complete BOL with a decent house on it all ready to go in Sullivan for $122K
    Cainsville, Mercer County, Missouri land for sale - 20 acres at LandWatch.com

LOVELY spot in Lewis, a bit higher per acre, this one is also closer to the city than the others (St. Louis) but still 120 miles away.
    Ewing, Lewis County, Missouri land for sale - 11.6 acres at LandWatch.com

Here's a PERFECT spot of land in Mercer... 20 acres to cash rent, earn back about 5 percent of your purchase price per year renting it out, and be ready if the SHTF.
    Cainsville, Mercer County, Missouri land for sale - 20 acres at LandWatch.com

I just picked my area because I know it. These kinds of places are all over flyover country, if you look.

This may SEEM expensive, but really it's no more than the cost of a new car per month, and you have something that INCREASES in value instead of something that DECREASES in value... also, if the monetary system has serious problems, no worries, a percentage of your wealth is in land.
    Last edited by Salt-N-Pepper; 04-08-2015 at 12:58 PM.
    Renec likes this.

Senior Member R.I.P.

I agree 100%. But if you look at it as not only your BOL but your retirement home also there is more motivation. Payments on that BOL have to be such that there is money remaining every month to do improvements on that property.
    You don't want that BOL to be more then a tank of gas will get you from your home.

Nice survey.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by HuntingHawk View Post
    I agree 100%. But if you look at it as not only your BOL but your retirement home also there is more motivation. Payments on that BOL have to be such that there is money remaining every month to do improvements on that property.
    You don't want that BOL to be more then a tank of gas will get you from your home.
    Yes, exactly... like for you in NC Florida, there are lots of great places in the panhandle or southern GA that are very reasonable in price. I just picked a northern FL county at random and found this on my first click: BONIFAY, Holmes County, Florida land for sale - 20 acres at LandWatch.com

How do I put this in perspective? This land is less money than the truck pictured below:

BOL's are out there, affordable and just waiting for you...-silv.png
    Last edited by Salt-N-Pepper; 04-08-2015 at 01:32 PM.
    Slippy and rice paddy daddy like this.

Caveat emptor.

I bought a beaut of a parcel for an incredible price. 6 months later when the rainy season came it became a lake chest deep loaded with mocs. Lost most of my stockpile of material and equipment and my down payment. Major setback.

If you can't do decent research on it first don't buy it.

Its the big down payment required to buy raw land that is preventing me from buying. I have found hundreds of properties I want.
    Pepper likes this.

Senior Member R.I.P.

If you can read a 7.5 minute topographic map you can tell if a piece of property is good to buy.
    Slippy likes this.

One easy precaution is to do a parcel record search online. If the parcel has had a string of short term owners something is bad wrong with it.
    If the price is just too good beware - such properties get snapped up quickly if they are desirable. If it has been on the market a long time, with regular price drops beware.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntingHawk View Post
    If you can read a 7.5 minute topographic map you can tell if a piece of property is good to buy.
    A map won't tell you if there are crazy neighbors who loot your preps as soon as you leave - and the sheriff is their uncle.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthonyx View Post
    A map won't tell you if there are crazy neighbors who loot your preps as soon as you leave - and the sheriff is their uncle.
    This is one of my biggest fears. Buying a BOL, then when leaving, my stuff gets stolen. I have dogs, but a bullet can end that. I just don't want to live 1.5 hours to town, meanwhile that's 3 hours minimum my stuff gets raided. Ugh. I hate people......
    tirednurse likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links