Couple Build Amazing Shipping Container Home For Debt-Free Living
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Couple Build Amazing Shipping Container Home For Debt-Free Living within the Preppers Retreat and Lodge forums, part of the General Prepper and Survival Talk category; What do you think? Get myself ten acres....I could be happy living here. I like the mountains. But I'd have a roof over those steps. ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Couple Build Amazing Shipping Container Home For Debt-Free Living

Super Moderator

What do you think? Get myself ten acres....I could be happy living here. I like the mountains. But I'd have a roof over those steps. It's tiny; I'd need a cache for our preps.

Let us use the time as best we may.

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Very nice... had to forward that on to a few folks that would enjoy doing something like that.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

I think it's a great idea. I noticed what looked like a screened in structure on the property. That would almost be a must to get out into the "open" a little and have some space apart from each other once in a while.
    Annie likes this.
    "Orwell's Animal Farm, and 1984 were supposed to be warnings, not instruction manuals."

“A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself within”

― Will Durant

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Would love to see a detailed video of how they built out the containers.
    MountainGirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Would love to see a detailed video of how they built out the containers.
    This guy has a series. I didn't watch the whole thing so don't know how much detail he got into.

Slippy, Annie and SGG like this.
    "Orwell's Animal Farm, and 1984 were supposed to be warnings, not instruction manuals."

“A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself within”

― Will Durant

Super Moderator

This is awesome, too.

Let us use the time as best we may.

I really do admire their engineering skills to be able to fit all the necessities of two lives into such a small space. I also really applaud their admitting ANY debt is akin to slavery. But...

You do not have to downsize or live in a sardine can to live debt free. Mrs Inor and I bought the land M.T. Acres sits on for cash several years ago. A few years later we sold our home in MN and came down here permanently and built the house on M.T. Acres for cash. We worked our asses off building the house, but we built it ourselves and it is done now. Virtually every dime we have spent on M.T. Acres since August 2018 has been spent buying down our cost of living for the future.
    Last edited by Inor; 12-29-2019 at 08:41 PM.
    MountainGirl and Slippy like this.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

I have two on my property. They are not cheap. You might be better off with standard 2 x 6 and plywood, etc structures. With reference to the picture, you'll also be spending some $$$'s on a crane to stack the units. In case you're wondering; I use one container to house the electronics (Inverter, etc.) for my solar panels and the other for 'bullet proof storage'. Just my 2₵

Shipping Containers...

For storage, I think @0rocky has it correct!

For full time living I would be very concerned about a few things;

The Flat Roof is a major concern. Water and flat metal chi-com welded roofs are not a good recipe. Unless you live in a desert with virtually no precipitation, flat roofs are a no-no. But metal buildings in a hot desert...

Framing and Insulating the interior of the shipping container needs to be done right, otherwise you set yourself up for uncomfortable living. Unless you are in a climate that is constant 75 degrees with 20% humidity, you need to make sure you insulate the walls, ceilings, windows, doors, vents etc. VERY WELL!

BUT do not totally "Seal The Building Envelope"! Then you may lend yourself to rotting out your interior framing from the inside of the building. Proper venting is a must too and that includes the plumbing.

A shipping container shelter as a DIY project at your weekend recreational property or an extra "Bunk House" for the grandkids is a cool idea, but as an investment for living debt free for the future? Modern Conventional Building Practices are so efficient and reliable as well as a proven entity that is hard to ignore!
    Last edited by Slippy; 12-30-2019 at 08:18 AM.
    0rocky likes this.

Join the Army you can get paid to live in one.

Lot of hype try passing any zoning laws in most places . No happening.
    Chipper, 0rocky, SOCOM42 and 2 others like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links