Tools for a young prepper? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tools for a young prepper?

This is a discussion on Tools for a young prepper? within the Prepper Tools forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; As for the fire discussion, I'm a fan of flint and steel, but I also like versatility. We've made fire cylinders and also gotten good ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Tools for a young prepper?

As for the fire discussion, I'm a fan of flint and steel, but I also like versatility. We've made fire cylinders and also gotten good with magnification. My next goal is to master the fire drill. Be versatile. Master a few techniques. Don't rely on just one.

I recommend this for a bug out bag, it is well built and strong for a good price. Remember one thing, when it comes to survival, quality over quantity. Would rather have one good pack then multiple cheap ones.

Amazon.com: Tactical Assault Pack - Combat Rucksack - 17" Military MOLLE Backpack 27L - Black: Sports & Outdoors

+1 to those saying not to buy a pre-packaged survival pack. For bug-out bags, get-home bags, and home kits, I say you're always better off assembling your own kit based on your plans (for bugging out, getting home, or sheltering-in-place) and your own knowledge and skills.

Since you mentioned Christmas, here's a great idea for from my article on getting more gear for your money: Create an Amazon.com wish list, then share that list with your family and friends. In other words, you do the shopping, then add the gear (or books or supplies) you want to your Amazon.com wish list. Then your family and friends can see what you want and order it directly from Amazon.com. The item will still show on your wish list for a couple of months (so you'll be surprised on December 25), but anyone who tries to buy it after that will get a note saying someone else already bought it. People appreciate knowing what things you'll enjoy, and at the same time they like having a choice. As a bonus, if you come into some extra cash, you'll already have a list of things you've researched before.

And since advice is free, if I were you I'd start with my EDC items (stuff you'll always have with you, such as a multitool, bandana, flashlight, whistle, etc.) and a get-home bag (stuff you leave in a desk drawer at the office or in your locker at school to help you get home in a disaster scenario). Actually, I'd start with thinking and planning (so you might want to buy a helpful book or two to start), but this is where I'd start spending money on gear and supplies. After that, consider taking on a pastime that will be useful, such as camping, hiking, amateur radio, fitness, geocaching, orienteering, first aid, gardening, hunting, fishing, woodworking, metal working, etc.
    Last edited by Paltik; 10-03-2013 at 12:52 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links