Storage ideas and tips from Podcast
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Storage ideas and tips from Podcast within the Prepper Tools forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; This thread is a supplement to Podcast #4 on storage. The notes I used are all over the place so I am going to try ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 7 Post By Sasquatch
  • 1 Post By Auntie
  • 1 Post By Targetshooter
  • 1 Post By sideKahr
  • 1 Post By Auntie
  • 1 Post By Slippy

Thread: Storage ideas and tips from Podcast

Super Moderator

This thread is a supplement to Podcast #4 on storage. The notes I used are all over the place so I am going to try to put all the information in easy to follow sections. At the end I will include links to some of the website where I got some information.

Some of these ideas and tips are simple while others would take some work. Take from this what you will. Being creative and keeping an openmind could lead you to coming up with some ideas that fit your needs.

BEDROOM
    • Use filled food buckets as your box spring
    • Utilize the space under your bed with a rolling box or wardrobe bag (canned food fits neatly inside).
    • Another idea is putting your box spring on hinges for easy access.
    • The space over your doorway is another area that can be utilized with shelving.
    • A shoe rack or other type of rack on the back of the door can be utilized for space.
    • Hollow doors are also an excellent place for hiding valuables like jewelry, cash or paperwork (just be sure you can retrieve it without tearing the door apart).

KITCHEN
    • Most people have unused space between their fridge and counter. This would be a great place for a sliding rack for canned food or other smaller items.
    • A curtain rod retention bar under the sink can get spray bottles up off the ground allowing room for other items.
    • The space under your cabinets can be used to hide food or other items. This one could be tricky but with some work and creativity it can be accomplished. Just remember under the cabinets will leave items vulnerable to water, dust and pest so be sure to make sure everything is well sealed.
    • A simple bench seat at the kitchen table could be a great place to store food buckets.

AROUND THE HOUSE
    • Tote containers are great for storing items but you may not want them sitting around your house. A board on top and a table cloth or blanket will turn those totes into end tables.
    • If you have the tools and know-how a raised floor in any part of the house can be used for storage or for hiding firearms and ammo or whatever you want to hide.
    • Fake air vents can be another idea for hiding valuables or whatever. Again, you'll need to be creative and a little bit handy with tools.
    • If you have multiple water barrels consider building a rack and stacking them horizontally.

AROUND THE YARD
    • Sheds are a great place for supplies. But remember they are subjected to the elements being outside.
    • Another "outside the box" idea is burying capped PVC pipe in the yard with gear stored in them. The rule about being subjected to the elements applies here too. You also need to remember where you buried them. Make a map or use markers other people won't understand.
    • Last but not least RACKS, RACKS, RACKS! Utilize racks whenever possible and you'll find you have more space. In closets, store rooms, garages, the kitchen, wherever. Just make sure you set the racks to the proper heights as to not waste space.

Maybe none of these ideas will work for you but like I said, try being creative and maybe tweaking them a little you can come up with something that suits your needs.

37 Creative Storage Solutions to Organize All Your Food & Supplies - Prepared Housewives

85 Insanely Clever Organizing and Storage Ideas for Your Entire Home - DIY & Crafts

14 Creative Hidden Storage Solutions for the Over-Stocked Prepper - Survival Mom

Unique Food Storage Ideas You've Never Considered
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Retired Moderator

I added a link to this thread in the podcast sticky.

Thanks for taking the time to put it together.
    Sasquatch likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

Great job Sas , you guys are doing a great job with the podcast , waiting for #6 .
    Sasquatch likes this.
    Hidden Content
    GOD Bless The South , The best things in life are Hidden Content ,Hidden Content ,Hidden Content , prayer , 2nd Amendment , my wife , not all in the order .

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for all your work on the podcasts, and now this written resource.

For folks who would like to store a barrel of water, but just don’t have the space, there are commercially available containers are very efficient for water storage. You can get food-grade, 5 gallon, stackable carboys that will stash 60 gallons in a space 3 ½ feet wide x 3 ½ feet high x 1 foot deep. That’s really small, and will probably fit in the back of a closet. And unlike a drum weighing 520 pounds, these containers can be easily moved.

Storage ideas and tips from Podcast-1.jpg
    Last edited by sideKahr; 08-21-2016 at 07:32 AM.
    Sasquatch likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by sideKahr View Post
    Thanks for all your work on the podcasts, and now this written resource.

For folks who would like to store a barrel of water, but just don’t have the space, there are commercially available containers are very efficient for water storage. You can get food-grade, 5 gallon, stackable carboys that will stash 60 gallons in a space 3 ½ feet wide x 3 ½ feet high x 1 foot deep. That’s really small, and will probably fit in the back of a closet. And unlike a drum weighing 520 pounds, these containers can be easily moved.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.JPG 
Views:	246 
Size:	249.5 KB 
ID:	21673
    Those are cool. I may need to look into that.

And by all means everyone is welcome to add to this thread if you have idea on storage.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Retired Moderator

That is a great idea. Thanks for sharing the info.
    Sasquatch likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Remain calm, All is well

Excellent ideas.
    Sasquatch likes this.

Sponsored Links