Making fire......Corny...but seems like a good product
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Making fire......Corny...but seems like a good product within the Prepper Tools forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; This man and his son have improved upon an existing product and I think it's worth telling you all about. Directing the sparks...especially when your ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Old SF Guy
  • 1 Post By Old SF Guy
  • 2 Post By Old SF Guy

Thread: Making fire......Corny...but seems like a good product

This man and his son have improved upon an existing product and I think it's worth telling you all about. Directing the sparks...especially when your freezing and in trouble is hard. Trust me when I say I know personally. Their product helps make things easier. and having the tender storage (i.e. think dryer lint or cotten etc...OSFG thinks he shouldn't try to sale cars...but he made a good product, and I'm getting one.
    osfg

Slippy, Infidel and Denton like this.

Pretty smart I like it. Thanks for the heads up.

Only $62.50 at a popular online retailer.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Very expensive...but I have paid more for a night out with the family so I chose to help him and his son.
    Denton likes this.

Looks pretty cool but damn they're expensive. $60 for a ferro rod in an aluminum tube seems a bit steep to me. I do like the idea of it being easier for a younger kid to use. Both my boys have trouble with a ferro rod, my oldest boy can do it but it takes him a while, needs more practice I guess.

-Infidel

I'd recommend contacting him and letting him know he could sell twice as many at half the price...but for a guy doin it all himself vice a corporate entity...I can understand the cost...again...I have spent more on a dinner....I chose to give him the extra money...not just for the product...but the idea....my choice.
    MrsInor and Denton like this.

I'm not asking anyone to buy it...I'm simply saying...look at how to make existing things better...They did...I'm able to buy it and reward the thought process. You may not be but you can apply the same adaptation to your rods.

I would like to get one. One of the great features of that product is that it is self-contained. It has a place to keep the tinder built in. It's a grab and go item you can leave in the bottom of your pack and forget about, until you need it. There are no moving parts, electronics, or anything else to degrade over time. Starting fires when cold, tired and wet is no fun at all. The price, while high, is less than my life is worth. (Some may disagree).

Good gadget, but very expensive.

I found it a bit funny that the "kids off the street with little survival experience" were all wearing camo.

A 3" ferro and a thick spined knife will outperform the sparks this thing generates.
    It's only benefit, in comparison, is the focus of sparks it provides.
    That isn't quite worth $60...
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    Good gadget, but very expensive.

I found it a bit funny that the "kids off the street with little survival experience" were all wearing camo.

A 3" ferro and a thick spined knife will outperform the sparks this thing generates.
    It's only benefit, in comparison, is the focus of sparks it provides.
    That isn't quite worth $60...
    Bugging out with a bunch of kids, I'd need a fire QUICK, and I'd probably be busy doing other stuff. If I have to pawn a job off onto someone else, it'd be someone younger than these kids, and I'd want them to have all the tools for success they could. $60 isn't a terrible investment for that kind of peace of mind, not to mention the ability to shuffle a responsibility.
    People are great. I like people. It's GROUPS of people that are terrible.

Sponsored Links