Best unlicensed handheld radio hack
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Best unlicensed handheld radio hack within the Prepper Tools forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I've been into radio for a long time and now that I'm a prepper, I figured I could share this with you guys. Some of ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By RadioPrepper
  • 1 Post By SOCOM42
  • 1 Post By SOCOM42

Thread: Best unlicensed handheld radio hack

I've been into radio for a long time and now that I'm a prepper, I figured I could share this with you guys.

Some of the best handheld radios you can get are baofengs. If you don't mind using them without a license, then they are your best option. If you're going to be using in an emergency anyway, then who cares. My favorite baofeng is the UV-82HP.

However, what about the best possible option that you can use legally without a license. Here is the answer:
    Get a midland 75-785. It's a handheld CB radio. This will work much better than those cheap store bought FRS/GMRS radios that advertise a couple watts. This is false advertising. They only make 0.1-0.5 watts. This midland makes a good 3 watt carrier and 10 watt peak. Now a lot of reviews of this radio claim poor range. This isn't a problem with the radio, but rather the antenna being way too short for the frequency.

Buy this antenna to use on it:
    It removed the link from my post cause I don't have enough post count
    Just search ebay for: "27MHz - 28MHz CB & Ham 11/10Meter Band HF QRP FT817 Handy BNC Telescopic Antenna"

After you get this antenna, to make it even more effective. Take a wire and strip the end off it. Now twist that wire around the metal connector of the antenna. Make the wire long enough that it dangles almost to the ground when standing, but not so long that it becomes obtrusive. Now you've got the best possible handheld radio you can make. You can't get a better range than this setup (w/o license). You don't always have to use the wire if it's not convenient, but it's good to pack along with the radio to use when you need the absolute best range.

Alright, that's about it. You can send any radio related questions my way.

Oh, just found the communications forum. It's kind of hidden away. Should have posted there oops
    Last edited by RadioPrepper; 03-11-2020 at 07:10 PM.
    Renec likes this.

OK, question, I have a linear amp I use on 20 and 40 meters that has a power drop of about 300 watts

for a few seconds then jumps back to 1800 W.

The final is a 4CX1500 Eimac ceramic beam power tetrode.

The drivers are 4CX350, caps are OK, no drop in plate or grid values, exciter is 100 watts and stays there,

line voltage @220 is stable also.

I only see a drop on the tuner watt meter for a few seconds. SWR is 1.2-1.0 tuned into a tuned multi band vertical.

This happens when operating on USB.

Any ideas????
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 03-11-2020 at 07:31 PM.
    inceptor likes this.

So every time you key it, it does that? I don't have much experience with tubes. I generally work with solid state devices like the BLF188.
    You mention line voltage, but what about the plate voltage. Does it stay the same?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

So every time you key it, it does that? I don't have much experience with tubes. I generally work with solid state devices like the BLF188.
    You mention line voltage, but what about the plate voltage. Does it stay the same?

Quote Originally Posted by RadioPrepper View Post
    Reread line 4 of my post.

I prefer the ceramic tubes, over S/S.

Does not always happen either.

The good old TYT MD390 (not 380 who is NOT Waterproofe).
    Please note there are at least 4 different Version!
    1) VHF OR UHF
    2) GPS or no GPS

I recommend to geht the GPS one cost ~10$ but is worth.
    All 4 are Digital and Hackable and the support ENCRYPTION!

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    OK, question, I have a linear amp I use on 20 and 40 meters that has a power drop of about 300 watts

for a few seconds then jumps back to 1800 W.

The final is a 4CX1500 Eimac ceramic beam power tetrode.

The drivers are 4CX350, caps are OK, no drop in plate or grid values, exciter is 100 watts and stays there,

line voltage @220 is stable also.

I only see a drop on the tuner watt meter for a few seconds. SWR is 1.2-1.0 tuned into a tuned multi band vertical.

This happens when operating on USB.

Any ideas????
    "jumps" back to 1800 W, or climbs back up to full power? That it's only seen when operating on USB really narrows it down, have a schematic or a service manual/circuit description from the amp manufacturer?

Yes, I have the schematic for it.

Also found the problem, a loose nut on a cap in the HV cage.

The tubes oscillation modulated the cap changing the contact of the strap.
    Crunch likes this.

Sponsored Links