Inventory - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Inventory

This is a discussion on Inventory within the Prepper Tools forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I forgot to mention that every now and then we print the spreadsheet and place it in its right area. This of course is for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Inventory

I forgot to mention that every now and then we print the spreadsheet and place it in its right area. This of course is for power off as well as if the bookkeeper runs off to Mexico.
    Our Survival Group Website: Hidden Content

I keep most of my inventory in my head, maybe not such a good thing since I sometimes forget why I walk into the bathroom. Ammo is the easiest. While I have some spread throughout the house for emergency use all of my ammo is stored in ammo cans in a closet along with long term food storage. I always have ammo in each of the safes that correspond to whatever caliber gun is stored in the safe as well. When a ammo can is full I mark the caliber, grain, and piece count and then put on steel shelves I put up. Same for the long term food, product and date packaged on outside of the bucket.

Canned goods is a problem since I store it in several places. The pantry of course, some in the closet upstairs, and in cabinets in the butlers pantry. (For the record, I do not now, nor have ever had, a butler) Two refrigerators and two freezers. I need to get a better handle on these items. Bulk items, paper towels, TP, 1st aid supplies, gas, propane, etc, are easier for me to track for some reason.

I suppose, to keep better track of all this I should do a spread sheet. Hey, maybe I can get a butler to do that!
    Slippy, A Watchman and Crunch like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

We keep all supplies on open shelves. Easy to see when things are getting low and need resupply. Plus easy to rotate new stock in and use older stuff up.

This way we won't have to throw out a pile of unused expired goods away, again. Only store what you currently use. Stockpiling 500 lbs of rice is just a waste if you never touch or eat it.

Guns and ammo are stored in separate fire proof safes. Ammo is marked and labeled in ammo cans with an extra mag or 2 on top, depending on weapon. One is worthless without the other.
    Last edited by Chipper; 01-13-2020 at 08:49 PM.
    Slippy and Prepared One like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jimcosta View Post
    I forgot to mention that every now and then we print the spreadsheet and place it in its right area. This of course is for power off as well as if the bookkeeper runs off to Mexico.
    Wait a minute...(Slippy thinks real hard and finally a light bulb comes on)...jim aren't YOU the bookkeeper?

Quote Originally Posted by Chipper View Post
    Only store what you currently use. Stockpiling 500 lbs of rice is just a waste if you never touch or eat it.
    I mean...I store foods that we don't eat now or don't eat often, like rice. I follow a low carb diet (and I LOVE white rice) so I rarely cook it, but in a SHTF situation, dietary requirements are likely going to be different. For example, I probably won't be sitting on my butt posting on a prepper forum. Instead I may be working in the garden or hauling water or some other horrifying job that I can't think of off the top of my head. So the excess blood glucose that makes me fat now would be burned off and I would NEED that rice to keep going. And rice is a great keeper because it lasts practically forever if properly stored.

Anyway, that's just a long way of saying there could be reasons to store foods that you don't currently use. BUT I agree that you shouldn't store foods that you don't eat because you don't like them. Beets, for example.
    Crunch, Prepared One and Marica like this.

Rice, various beans, instant potatoes, Pastas, are staples of my long term storage and are easy to track. I can supplement those stores with can goods I have on hand and the occasional meat byproduct type critter that passes by. You know, squirrels, birds, deer, dogs, cats, and rats, the occasional lost liberal. I do store vitamins to make up for the fact that I am not depending on my growing a whole lot of veggies in a garden, since I am in the habit of killing fake plants an all. I am good tho, rice beans potatoes, pasta with some hot sauce and what ever meat I can scrounge and it will work well enough. My freezers alone will keep me in meat for months.
    Last edited by Prepared One; 01-14-2020 at 06:32 AM.
    Slippy likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    Anyway, that's just a long way of saying there could be reasons to store foods that you don't currently use. BUT I agree that you shouldn't store foods that you don't eat because you don't like them. Beets, for example.
    Agree, except the beet part, pickled are the best imo.

We're not big fans of canned fruits or veggies, fresh or frozen is what we normally eat, but we keep cans in the deep larder. It's wasteful, but we'll usually just replace them with fresh cans all at one time and toss the old ones if we can't give them away to family/friends that know we're preppers. Kind of pains me to admit to that, but at 2 or 3 cans for a dollar when on sale and only having to replace them every 8-10 years I just look at it like homeowners or car insurance, we spend a lot more on those and never use them either. Same for items like powdered eggs or dehydrated milk.

"Wait a minute...(Slippy thinks real hard and finally a light bulb comes on)...jim aren't YOU the bookkeeper?"

Slippy: I'm planning to run off with the profits!
    Slippy and paulag1955 like this.
    Our Survival Group Website: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Agree, except the beet part, pickled are the best imo.
    Seriously? They taste like moldy dirt to me. The Handsome Husband tells me he likes them, though. Although I don't know this first hand...I've never served them to him.

Instant mashed potatoes is another thing that I store that we don't usually eat. Also Stovetop stuffing, but I repackage it.
    Crunch likes this.

Some serious lists and inventory there peeps.
    Our Pantry is in a crappy location, under the stairs, directly beside the back door. It is also shaped terrible, like a "hermit living under the stairs", I really need to shelf the back lower portion, but It is low priority.
    Trying to eat from pantry and freezer MUCH more this year.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links