Shovel question - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Shovel question

This is a discussion on Shovel question within the Prepper Tools forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I went back and forth on this, I was looking at the Cold Steel shovel, but decided I probably wasn't going to be doing a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Shovel question

I went back and forth on this, I was looking at the Cold Steel shovel, but decided I probably wasn't going to be doing a lot of digging in suburbia and if I did need a shovel I could scrounge one out of someone's yard, shed, construction site. So I went with a simple tiny shovel with pick w/o all the crap in the handle, the blade is a bit bigger than my hand, 7.5" folded, 2' put together. Should work fine for trenching around my poncho shelter and digging a latrine.

Shovel question-61qjhlrw1ml._sl1000_.jpg
    I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number please.

Stupidity, the New Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Anybody have or heard of a San Angelo stick? A shovel's best friend if you have some rocks and hard places that need dug!

It is a long piece of tempered steel (6') with one pointed end that weighs about 18 lbs or so. It has got me out of "between rocks and hard places" more than a few times...!

I'll post a pic of it when I get back to Slippy Lodge.

(just found one online at Fastenal...https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/99251201 )
    Growing up, my Dad had one made out of a buggy axle. It was considerably heavier than 18 pounds. It worked great!
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatic Wrench View Post
    I went back and forth on this, I was looking at the Cold Steel shovel, but decided I probably wasn't going to be doing a lot of digging in suburbia and if I did need a shovel I could scrounge one out of someone's yard, shed, construction site. So I went with a simple tiny shovel with pick w/o all the crap in the handle, the blade is a bit bigger than my hand, 7.5" folded, 2' put together. Should work fine for trenching around my poncho shelter and digging a latrine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61qJhlRw1ML._SL1000_.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	97033

wouldn't count on finding gardening tools of any kind just laying around - going to be one of the more premium & valuable tools >>> the days of homeowners gardening and even cutting their own lawns is a by-gone era - you'd be lucky to find a decent digging shovel in searching thru 10-15 suburb garages - a guy with a shovel is going to be a new occupation ....
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    I have one of these in each vehicle.

RubberDuck likes this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

Cathole or ditch?

Those little things would take me 5-10X the time to dig a hole. You digging a cathole? I don't think OP had BOB in mind? Maybe I'm wrong.

I replaced a good amount of septic line last spring, I used a shovel. Frost line is 4-5 ft deep. I dug more than enough to bury a tractor. But there is just PVC, and dirt in the hole.

If I'm off topic, sorry. I grew up working farms, shoveled more dirt than most, LOTS more cow/horse/pig/chicken shit. Dirt you need a long handled pointed shovel, shit a nice wide scoop short handle. I was happy each time I got the spreader full/ready to hit the field. Then there is snow, on roofs too. I know shovels.
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 04-03-2019 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Cathole or ditch?

Those little things would take me 5-10X the time to dig a hole. You digging a cathole? I don't think OP had BOB in mind? Maybe I'm wrong.

I replaced a good amount of septic line last spring, I used a shovel. Frost line is 4-5 ft deep. I dug more than enough to bury a tractor. But there is just PVC, and dirt in the hole.

If I'm off topic, sorry. I grew up working farms, shoveled more dirt than most, LOTS more cow/horse/pig/chicken shit. Dirt you need a long handled pointed shovel, shit a nice wide scoop short handle. I was happy each time I got the spreader full/ready to hit the field. Then there is snow, on roofs too. I know shovels.

Did you read the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by rmcmurry View Post
    Actually I have 2. Does anyone have one of these folding E tool deals with the "pick" opposite the shovel head? If so, how does it work?Also, would you want one of these shovel "multi-tools", or just a short handled shovel? I saw a shovel in a local ACE hardware store that looked like it might barely be 30" long, if that. Looked plenty strong. Thoughts? Thanks.
    Works pretty darn good for stuck vehicles. Do you carry a full size shovel in your car?

I've been using the same one for about 30 years tough as nails. Works great for Camping and hunting too. Ever have to bury your crap pile?
    Mad Trapper likes this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Did you read the OP?

Works pretty darn good for stuck vehicles. Do you carry a full size shovel in your car?

I've been using the same one for about 30 years tough as nails. Works great for Camping and hunting too. Ever have to bury your crap pile?
    Stuck with cars/trucks?

Deer season had a lot of snow.

I had a 69 dodge dart, came in from high side of the mountain. The snowmobiles were trail packed just right, hard did not sink, I carried two 2" X 10" X 6' in the trunk, once I got stuck, My old chrlyser jack got me out. I drove in on the high of the mountain, with the dart. Parked, hunted, POed 4 X 4Truck guys that could not make the hill, Why not truck guys, I did it with a dart!

Anyways drove down while the truck guys walked.

Oh yea two deer.We were 12ga foster slugs in Ithacas 37s back then.

cathole
    what is that?

Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    what is that?
    A small dirt hole to shit/crap/pee, where your offal won't FU water nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Stuck with cars/trucks?

Deer season had a lot of snow.

I had a 69 dodge dart, came in from high side of the mountain. The snowmobiles were trail packed just right, hard did not sink, I carried two 2" X 10" X 6' in the trunk, once I got stuck, My old chrlyser jack got me out. I drove in on the high of the mountain, with the dart. Parked, hunted, POed 4 X 4Truck guys that could not make the hill, Why not truck guys, I did it with a dart!

Anyways drove down while the truck guys walked.

Oh yea two deer.We were 12ga foster slugs in Ithacas 37s back then.
    Yup several times when My old supercab 4x4 ford would beach itself in the deep snow in the tip of the mitt I would dig out from under the frame with the old war horse shovel. Worth its weight in gold!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links