Make Your Own Basic Faraday Cage for $2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Make Your Own Basic Faraday Cage for $2 within the Prepper Tools forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; After watching Doomsday Preppers one too many times (yeah, I was that bored) I kept hearing people talking about EMP attacks and solar flares so ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By LDSreliance
  • 1 Post By LDSreliance
  • 1 Post By tinkerhell
  • 1 Post By Jeep
  • 1 Post By tinkerhell
  • 1 Post By LDSreliance
  • 1 Post By paraquack

Thread: Make Your Own Basic Faraday Cage for $2

After watching Doomsday Preppers one too many times (yeah, I was that bored) I kept hearing people talking about EMP attacks and solar flares so I decided to protect myself and put a spare charge controller for my solar as well as an inverter and some other small electronics in a faraday cage. This is what I came up with using some household items costing less than $2:

Jeep, Auntie and Zed like this.

A broken microwave makes a great Faraday cage and has a nice door on it and you know it is rated up to handle 1100 watts. You can find them for $5 to $10 and they stack nice in the garage.
    KG7NDC

The only thing that separates man from animal is our affinity for toilet paper.
    Once we as a society lose that affinity we begin to descend back into the animal kingdom, and after three or more days you will find the food chain beginning to invert on itself.

Quote Originally Posted by GTGallop View Post
    A broken microwave makes a great Faraday cage and has a nice door on it and you know it is rated up to handle 1100 watts. You can find them for $5 to $10 and they stack nice in the garage.
    A great point! Good idea. I actually have one in my kitchen right now so now I know not to throw it away.
    GTGallop likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Banned

is there any way to test or validate a design like that, as opposed to merely trusting the theory behind it?

Sorry, I just like to be able to validate things. not trying to give you a hard time.
    Last edited by tinkerhell; 10-17-2014 at 06:55 PM.
    Jeep likes this.

Its a good question and I would like to know. But that being said LDS seems to have it together.
    tinkerhell likes this.
    Im memory of my brother and fellow Marine, Semper Fidelis. Rest well my friend

Banned

http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

I agree that LDS has it together. here's a link to the theory plus a comment that specifically answers my question:
    "A booster bag (shopping bag lined with aluminium foil) acts as a Faraday cage. It is often used by shoplifters to steal RFID-tagged items.[3]"
    Jeep likes this.

Gypsies
    Im memory of my brother and fellow Marine, Semper Fidelis. Rest well my friend

Here is a site that shows a similar build and also explains a lot of the theory and physics:

Build Your Own Faraday Cage. Here?s How.
    tinkerhell likes this.

There seems to be dozens of ideas about how to build a Faraday cage to protect our electronics. So here's my 2 cents worth after reading a ton of articles by people who should have a reasonable idea as to what they are doing. Most articles say that aluminum foil is too thin. The couple that went with aluminum foil did multiple layers, separated with a non-conductive material (paper, foam, etc. but paper can absorb moisture making it somewhat conductive) and the foil can have NO gaps or seams that are open. Yes, a microwave oven is a reverse Faraday cage designed to keep the energy inside, but I would worry about an old one not have a tight fitting door. One of the biggest things is that the opening must have a good metal to metal contact at the door or other opening. In the garbage can ideas shown in the info below, please not that they are using a brand spanking new sheet metal garbage can with no dents around the lid to can meeting point. Also check the rivets on the handles to be sure they are tight and have no gaps. Some people recommend removing the handles and use aluminum foil tape to cover the holes and once the cover is in place, seal the cover to the can with the foil tape. ANY GAP in the lid or in the foil tape sealing the lid to the can will be BAD. The better you rub the creases out of the tape the better. Because of the pain in the butt involved in taping the can and lid, I won't open the can unless absolutely necessary. I'll start another can.

real good video!

Budget Prep: Faraday Cage | National Geographic Channel
    Electromagnetic Pulse - EMP Myths - futurescience.com
    Last edited by paraquack; 10-17-2014 at 10:19 PM.
    tinkerhell likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Sponsored Links