A drone for prepping? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

A drone for prepping?

This is a discussion on A drone for prepping? within the Prepper Tools forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I hear tell of people that take a drone "and mount lifesize" air soft pistols on them. I think they may switch them out for ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: A drone for prepping?

I hear tell of people that take a drone "and mount lifesize" air soft pistols on them. I think they may switch them out for real pistols, if the time came.
    Yes, I think a drone would be a great addition to preps.
    My son has one, we haven't tried it yet. Soon, son, soon.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
    I hear tell of people that take a drone "and mount lifesize" air soft pistols on them. I think they may switch them out for real pistols, if the time came.
    Yes, I think a drone would be a great addition to preps.
    My son has one, we haven't tried it yet. Soon, son, soon.
    Do you really think a drone could handle the recoil?
    I have a small drone and practice with it every couple of weeks. I think it is a great way to keep tabs on what's going on around my area.
    Annie likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Malcom Renolds likes this.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    -- The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security --
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I see the advantage of having one, and yes, you can mount a gun or bomb. I was looking at them just last week as a matter of fact.

" All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

I "only heard" of it.
    I can neither confirm no deny, but I think they are badass.
    A guy at work and I bot think, that in a few years, HUMAN TAXI DRONES will be huge. Just like an uber, call one up, it lands outside where you are, takes you to a low altitude path, drops you safely at the desired location. Only thing holding it back is battery life.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

This is correct I’ve used an older Mavic off the boat on the ocean and at 100-120’ you’d be hard to hear it unless there is just zero wind and ripple noise which is rare. Take it to 300’ and no one will hear it at all and I don’t know where one might. I looked at it as a first response and a potential shot that could be fired too.

As for the potential for shooting one down, keep in mind it would more likley be just pure, dumb luck. In the air, there's no reference for the shooter to use to gauge how far away it is. No reference in terms of trees, rocks, people, etc. And no reference as to how large the drone itself is. Yes, it's a target, but visually there's not a quick and easy way to determine the range. About the only shot one could take with any reasonable chance of hitting it would be straight up, and that is mathematically highly unlikely.

I've been out flying with mine and most people look at it and say, "Wow, you must be up a half mile!" when I'm up only 150 feet. And when it comes down, they're amazed at how small it is. One person commented they thought it was 10 feet wide.

Maybe a shotgun with bird pellets at close range, but single-round firearms...... I'd bet the drone would be fine. Once you notice you're getting shot at (either visually or audibly), it's pretty easy to take evasive action. Zig-zag while gaining altitude away from the threat. Easy peasy.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Search youtupid for videos of Syria and Iraq where they show drone footage of dropping mortar rounds or grenades form drones... EXTREMELY effective...

Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Camel923 View Post
    Drone and anti drone capabilities will become more important as time goes on. JMHO.
    Yeah, well, they've been saying that about NV and IR optics for over two decades. Still a very rare occasion when I come across somebody who owns one.

I see drones in the same category as rifle armor plates, ballistic helmets, NV/IR optics, etc. : get it if you are already very well-equipped with the basics and have several hundred dollars laying around doing nothing useful... and you have no plans of retiring if the [email protected]#$ never does hit the fan.

I can see the usefulness of a drone equipped with a small firearm, or especially an explosive like a mortar... in a military situation. Ask yourself: what are you going to do with that?
    As perimeter monitoring a drone would definitely be useful, but even as actual recon most of the time IMO you'd be better off with paying attention to your surroundings and taking advantage of the agility you get from not carrying [email protected]#$ you don't need.
    If you do get one, good luck maintaining and charging those things with no grid and no stores selling supplies, and good luck being sufficiently equipped otherwise if you invest in being able to do that.
    I seriously doubt that I'd have to face a one in any SHTF situation, and even then, even if I did encounter one, I'm not likely to be doing anything that makes it worth the owner's equipment expenditure to stop me.

IMO, take the money you were going to spend on a drone, and buy something more versatile.
    I read on a motivational poster once that a mistake is only a mistake if you don't learn from it.
    Learning is good, but I think foresight is better.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
    - Plato

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links