Favorite fire starters/kindling and alternate fuels
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Favorite fire starters/kindling and alternate fuels within the Prepper Tools forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I am curious about some other ideas for fire starters/kindling besides the obvious ones most people know about. I shot the below video a few ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Favorite fire starters/kindling and alternate fuels

I am curious about some other ideas for fire starters/kindling besides the obvious ones most people know about. I shot the below video a few weeks ago showing the 3 ones that I like the best (cotton balls + petroleum jelly, dryer lint, and alcohol). What I am searching for are additional ideas that could be cheaply and easily stored for emergencies. I'm not talking about matches or magnesium sticks and sources of sparks but the medium that will accept the spark and turn it into a flame.

I also think in a disaster scenario in a suburban (or especially urban) scenario, starting a fire to keep warm will be a lot harder than people think after literally everyone around you is scrounging for the same firewood for a few days. I know in my neighborhood of 1500 or so homes in north Texas there are not a ton of mature trees and certainly not much dead wood laying around to be gathered up. I keep about 1/3 cord of wood in my back yard that I could turn to but are there any other cheap, readily available fuels besides wood, charcoal, and propane/kerosene/gasoline/any-other-ene that you guys would turn to?

PalmettoTree, Slippy and mcangus like this.

There ought to be some dried cow poop in Texas.
    TG likes this.

That is how a video should be made short, well edited and the probably the best 3 fire starting methods.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I have heard a lot of people talk about dryer lint as good fire starter, but my experience with it is less than desirable. I liked your other to options way better.

Pine sap or lighter knots as the old timers called them make good starters, if you have a flame to ignite them. A spark is not enough to get them lit.
    Hell, anyone can do that. Hold my beer and I'll show you

Good job OP.
    Cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly is my preferred method in a primitive situation. Charred Cotton Cloth works great for holding a flame, spark or ember. I also carry the Solo Stove and its so easy to start within the stove then you can transfer to a larger area for a campfire.
    Denton likes this.

Favorite fire starters/kindling and alternate fuels-uploadfromtaptalk1409930536133.jpg

A lot of snack foods burn well. This frito burned for almost 3 minutes. They won't take a spark but they will save matches or lighter fuel.

Anything you bring from home will run out eventually. We have cotton rounds dipped in wax which work brilliantly (they'll burn for ten minutes or more, and provide anywhere from a 2-6" flame), and are amazingly small and compact. Not to mention a whole football field less messy than cotton and vaseline.

That being said, I'm partial to feather sticks and a sturdy knife. I'd give up nearly everything in my kit to have a good knife. These easily catch a spark from a steel, and so long as you prepped the rest of your kindling (how many times I've seen someone light something only to scramble because they have no kindling...) you're pretty much guaranteed to be cooking.

Favorite fire starters/kindling and alternate fuels-feather-stick.jpg
    Wallimiyama, Slippy and BagLady like this.
    Rest In Peace, Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Quote Originally Posted by dannydefense View Post
    Anything you bring from home will run out eventually. We have cotton rounds dipped in wax which work brilliantly (they'll burn for ten minutes or more, and provide anywhere from a 2-6" flame), and are amazingly small and compact. Not to mention a whole football field less messy than cotton and vaseline.

That being said, I'm partial to feather sticks and a sturdy knife. I'd give up nearly everything in my kit to have a good knife. These easily catch a spark from a steel, and so long as you prepped the rest of your kindling (how many times I've seen someone light something only to scramble because they have no kindling...) you're pretty much guaranteed to be cooking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feather-stick.jpg 
Views:	1601 
Size:	282.5 KB 
ID:	6546
    That may be good idea in the Central East South West, but when Slippy finds himself in a tight spot, vaseline gets the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    That may be good idea in the Central East South West, but when Slippy finds himself in a tight spot, vaseline gets the job done.
    *ahem*.
    Slippy likes this.
    Rest In Peace, Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Quote Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
    That is how a video should be made short, well edited and the probably the best 3 fire starting methods.
    Thanks!

Good ideas people. I can't believe I didn't think of cow dung. There is actually a field within half mile of my house. Hopefully no one sees hopping over the barbed wire fence to collect poop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links