Favorite fire starters/kindling and alternate fuels - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Favorite fire starters/kindling and alternate fuels

This is a discussion on Favorite fire starters/kindling and alternate fuels within the Prepper Tools forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by LDSreliance Thanks! Good ideas people. I can't believe I didn't think of cow dung. There is actually a field within half mile ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Favorite fire starters/kindling and alternate fuels

Quote Originally Posted by LDSreliance View Post
    Thanks!

Good ideas people. I can't believe I didn't think of cow dung. There is actually a field within half mile of my house. Hopefully no one sees hopping over the barbed wire fence to collect poop.
    Don't go at night with a flashlight or you may be mistaken for a mushroom harvester...
    BagLady likes this.
    Hell, anyone can do that. Hold my beer and I'll show you

there are lots of alt fire starting methods

atm my fav is vas + cotton ball wrapped in duct tape

I am tempted on drop torch fuel, but it only has 1 use, no other uses I can see (75% desial 25% petrol from memory)

there also is a bbq fire starter wrapped individually that I'm tempted to see if it lights off a spark, as that's what these things are about
    They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them

Lest we forget

Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Not sure this method excites you or not but I have used it several times and it's quite effective. Also steel wool can be submerged in H20 and it drains dry pronto so its good from that perspective as well. Can you run out of batteries YES!!! just like you can run out of alcohol. Which I like as well. Just another idea worth knowing about or sharing...
    BagLady and Box of frogs like this.
    Hidden Content

First Aid Supplies and More!!
    Hidden Content
    DERMA-REDI.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I like using hand cleaner gel and either a cotton ball, or pine straw, or whatever. Easy to keep in the car, jacket, purse, etc. the last time we roasted a pig I showed my son how to use toilet paper rolls wetted with hand cleaner to start heating charcoal briquets.
    BagLady and Box of frogs like this.
    ... And I looked and arose and said to the nobles and to the officials and to the rest of the people, “Do not be afraid of them. Remember the Lord, who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives, and your homes.” -- Nehemiah Hidden Content

"Start where you are. Use all you have. Do all you can." -- Pat Williams

Two of you already posted my two favorites. The steel wool and 9v battery, and the knife for shaving wood.
    You can also go to your local newspaper, and get bundles of papers for free. (day old etc.) As part of prepping, you will spend time on some preps, like rolling newspapers into logs. I have heard that you can put the newspaper in a tub of water, then roll tight, tie it up, and allow to dry in the summer sun. You'll want to use several newspapers to make one log.
    In Memory of Cpl. Bradley Coy
    Thank you for your service and sacrifice.

Sail on, Hunting Hawk. You were one of a kind.

Here is one of my favorite fire starter, yeah, I know I have posted this a couple times already but the guy did ask. As far as kindling, I like using fatwood, although it won't light from a spark, it will burn quite well once lit.

dannydefense likes this.

Ok, I guess I'm lazy or something. I know they won't last forever, but I carry about a dozen packs of Trioxane fuel to start fire if it's wet or windy or a feather stick won't work. Plus if necessary, I can use it to cook with in a Triangular stove I made.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

dried tree sap is a natural way to get a fire going and burning hot. evergreens are an excellent source for flammable sap. fresh sap has too much water content so it must be dried out first.
    Box of frogs and dannydefense like this.
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
    ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Nice video.
    I like the cottonballs soaked with Vaseline, then rolled up tight and put into clear straws. Seal both ends and it will be waterproof and last forever.
    Another straw peice with matches in it
    You mentioned rubbing alcohol, I did a picture set on building an alcohol stove out of coke cans.
    Welcome to the forum, and look forward to learning from and with you.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links