Communicating
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Communicating

This is a discussion on Communicating within the Prepper Tools forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; From what I've been reading, different modes of communicating (CB, UHV, VHF, etc.) all have serious downsides in a real SHTF scenario. Only HAM radio ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Communicating

Lightbulb Communicating

From what I've been reading, different modes of communicating (CB, UHV, VHF, etc.) all have serious downsides in a real SHTF scenario. Only HAM radio will have the possibility of being effective in a long grid-down scenario. So, I set about on a search for something effective, but small. I actually found what I think I am looking for. Here is a real nice portable (about the size of a pack of cigarettes). Of course, for any distance, it will require a much larger antenna, but that is easily carried. For grid-down scenarios, I especially like the extra battery options, including just using AA batteries. And it will pack away very nicely in a Molle utility pouch on my bug-out gear. Read the reviews.

Amazon.com : Tri-Band Yaesu VX-6R Submersible Amateur Ham Radio Transceiver (144/222/440) : Automotive Cb Radios And Scanners : Electronics

Admittedly, I don't know dick about Ham radio other than I know the Hams are seriously into their hobby. So there is a LOT to learn. My 80 year old buddy down the block has been into HAM for most of his life. Going to go sit down with him sometime today and just chew the fat on this topic. I'm pretty sure I don't want this as another hobby, but I DO want to learn enough to be able to function with it when and if the time ever comes. I know also that I have to learn enough to be able to get a HAM license in order to transmit. Of course, if the SHTF for real, I don't think there will be any government agency worried about licenses. However, I will need much practice with a radio like this before something happens -- so that means in order for me to transmit, a license is needed.
    Last edited by DerBiermeister; 08-23-2014 at 07:47 AM.
    Denton and Witchygirl3 like this.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I will read the link later on, thanks putting it up
    Im memory of my brother and fellow Marine, Semper Fidelis. Rest well my friend

Well the session with my old friend lasted a few hours -- a lot of stuff for me to soak in. Anyway, his advice to get started is to do three things:

1. Join a local Amateur Radio Club

2. Get a copy of this book and start pouring through it.
    ARRL :: Licensing, Education & Training :: Ham Radio License Manual 3rd Edition
    He said that every question on the test will be covered in the book. He called it the Q&A book -- and this book may be overkill, it may not be the one he was referring to. I'll keep searching for a Q&A book.

3. Get my Tech license (beginner level) so that I can set up my own HAM operation and begin transmitting.
    Last edited by DerBiermeister; 08-24-2014 at 06:54 AM.
    "Hit hard, hit fast, hit often" -- Adm William "Bull" Halsey

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

IMO before worrying about long range communications I would concentrate on short range. I think I would use being able to talk to someone in my group who is on the other side of a building or a mile down the road keeping a look out allot more often then I would talking to someone 500 miles away. I am not saying that a HAM radio is a bad idea, it's NOT. But you should do BOTH. When I was a 11B in the Army one of the phrases that they used was shoot, move, and communicate. If you are planning on going "lone wolf" and wouldn't have anyone to communicate with, short range may not matter, but if there are going to be 2 or more, communications would be extremely important.
    Denton likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Notsoyoung View Post
    IMO before worrying about long range communications I would concentrate on short range. I think I would use being able to talk to someone in my group who is on the other side of a building or a mile down the road keeping a look out allot more often then I would talking to someone 500 miles away. I am not saying that a HAM radio is a bad idea, it's NOT. But you should do BOTH. When I was a 11B in the Army one of the phrases that they used was shoot, move, and communicate. If you are planning on going "lone wolf" and wouldn't have anyone to communicate with, short range may not matter, but if there are going to be 2 or more, communications would be extremely important.
    No question you are correct and I am sorry I didn't address that. I already am set up with several shorter range devices. I have 3 good quality Motorola Talkabout MJ270R 27-Mile 2-Way Radios. Pretty decent range. The reason I have 3 is that on an older set, one of them bit the dust, so I bought a pair of the newer version and all 3 are compatible. Whenever I am out walking the neighborhood and my wife is at home, we keep a pair close by and ON. Has rechargeable Ni-MH batteries -- and would be smart to have in your bug out bag a good supply of CHARGED replacements.

Back in the Spring, an older couple just entering Lowes caught my attention as the husband whipped out a similar looking Talkabout and handed it to his wife. They were obviously going their separate ways inside that giant store. I mention this because it gave me some more ideas for use of these things. Of course, you can accomplish the same thing with cell phones ....... but walkie talkies are just cooler.

I also have a very good hand-held marine VHF radio (ICOM IC-M72). Might be of some use if we were making our way somewhere close to shorelines.
    Last edited by DerBiermeister; 08-24-2014 at 08:54 AM.
    Notsoyoung, Denton and CWOLDOJAX like this.

seems that you have your bases covered
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

I took the plunge. Bought the souped up version of the one I linked in my OP.

Welcome to Yaesu.com

It wasn't cheap, especially after buying the needed extras, but this unit will be my best shot at staying in touch with the outside world. I also purchased the correct book for studying to get my first level Amateur Radio license. So, for the interim period until I pass the test, I can do all the listening I want -- I just can't transmit. As we are approaching winter, that will be the time to devote all the hours I need to learn this field and get qualified.

before buying what for me would be expensive equipment that would only be used post SHTF I asked myself this question:" who am I supposed to be communicating with in a post SHTF collapse everything gone to s##t world?" and I still for the life of me cant come up with a relevant answer.
    Witchygirl3 likes this.
    British Survivalist.

Quote Originally Posted by big paul View Post
    before buying what for me would be expensive equipment that would only be used post SHTF I asked myself this question:" who am I supposed to be communicating with in a post SHTF collapse everything gone to s##t world?" and I still for the life of me cant come up with a relevant answer.
    I bet you'll get several replies to your question -- but I look at it this way. In that chaotic scenario -- and we are not even sure how it will unfold -- I am convinced that all forms of normal civilization will cease to exist. That would include normal radio/tv programming, etc. As time goes on, and the grid stays down, pockets of survivors will want to know about "safe" locations. I am pretty sure that HAM operations will be last refuge of communications and that it will be in the hands of the good guys. Chalk it up to having more of an insurance policy.
    Deebo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DerBiermeister View Post
    I bet you'll get several replies to your question -- but I look at it this way. In that chaotic scenario -- and we are not even sure how it will unfold -- I am convinced that all forms of normal civilization will cease to exist. That would include normal radio/tv programming, etc. As time goes on, and the grid stays down, pockets of survivors will want to know about "safe" locations. I am pretty sure that HAM operations will be last refuge of communications and that it will be in the hands of the good guys. Chalk it up to having more of an insurance policy.
    I'm pretty much on my own here as far as survivalists go, nearest one is 50 miles away-next county- which is probably 1 hour at least on our roads, and he's not in an area that I would want to relocate to- very large town. i'm fairly safe here-out in a rural area- and I would be keeping my head down and trying not to get noticed.
    British Survivalist.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links