Question...
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Question...

This is a discussion on Question... within the Political News and Topics forums, part of the General Discussion category; Why is the 2nd amendment deemed important. Serious question and I will play devil's advocate. I had a member on another forum remark...the 2nd amendment ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Question...

Question...

Why is the 2nd amendment deemed important.

Serious question and I will play devil's advocate.

I had a member on another forum remark...the 2nd amendment is there to protect the 1st amendment.

I've heard over the years that it is to protect the citizens from their government.

How's that working out?

Just wondering.
    MisterMills357 and bigwheel like this.
    “Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech."

Benjamin Franklin

Not sure if this is a rhetorical question?

I think it's intention, application, and effectiveness are certainly different topics.

SGG

How's that working out? Because of the recent events at the Capitol? In my opinion that was not an attempt at a coup, so it's not like they actually tried to use the Second Amendment against the government there.
    There may come a day where the Second Amendment is put to the test against a corrupt government. Then we will see how it works out
    As far as why it's important? To me, it's important for personal protection. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness cannot be accomplished without being able to protect myself from any threat. Whether it's a corrupt government, or the crazy person down the street breaking into my house in the middle of the night trying to murder me for no reason at all.
    Last edited by SGG; 01-12-2021 at 05:09 PM.
    Robie and soyer38301 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

All of the above and more.
    SGG likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robie View Post

I had a member on another forum remark...the 2nd amendment is there to protect the 1st amendment.

I've heard over the years that it is to protect the citizens from their government.

How's that working out?

Just wondering.
    I have put the Second Amendment to use on a number of occasions, and it works pretty good. It is a stand alone Amendment, and does not require attachments to other Amendments, such as the 1st & 4th. It protects those as a secondary function, but it protects me as a primary function.

The Founding Fathers went to war with England, with guns, otherwise America would still belong to them. The Second is an equalizer, an empowerment for civilians. Since the army and cops already have guns, they do not need the Second, we do.

Since it may come to armed self defense, against the army and cops, and mobs. The average man needs guns.

If that were not the case, the Amendment might as well say, that it is there to arm the army.
    Last edited by MisterMills357; 01-12-2021 at 06:04 PM.
    Slippy likes this.
    I am reading The 9/11 Commission Report, and I am at chapter 3.3. And I at chapter 3 of Crime And Punishment. I am moving like a snail, because of myriad of ailments, but I am moving.

Super Moderator

The amendment is only important to the government.
    The right exists regardless of the amendment.

A better question would be, "why is the right important?"
    The right exists because you are a sentient being formed in the image of the divine, endowed by your creator with the will and means to defend your existence from all unjust threats.
    The founders recognized this, and chose to bind the government under this restriction.

The 2nd amendment is a wall intended to prevent unjust threat against the people; the breaching of which would prove detrimental to the government.
    With every passing year, another brick is chipped out of that wall. We look through the ever-growing hole, and shake our fists at the workers on the other side. We converse amongst ourselves and come to the conclusion that "the wall still stands, there's just a hole now", and we move on with our lives.

When will the hole grow too large?
    When will the wall come crashing down?
    When will the government be made to understand that the 2nd amendment was not written to protect us?
    It was written to protect them.
    inceptor, Robie, SGG and 2 others like this.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem"
    or
    "I prefer perilous liberty to peaceful servitude." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Robie View Post

How's that working out?

Just wondering.
    We shall see..whatever will be.will be...the futures not ours to see..watch this and cheer up. Thanks.
    MisterMills357 likes this.

The second amendment is the method of last resort for a free people. To protect themselves from all enemies foreign and domestic. That includes a tyrannical government. Think the Patriots of 1776 viewing America today.! Government carrying on that they are untouchable but all powerful. These evil clowns were on the mind of Patrick Henry, the father of the Bill of Rights.
    Last edited by Camel923; 01-12-2021 at 07:41 PM.
    inceptor and hawgrider like this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

I believe the founding fathers made it number 2 for a reason.

To keep a tyrannical government in check.

I do believe that the left is using big tech to divide and separate the other 70 million people. That way they can disarm the people.

I would go on a huge rant if I didn’t spell it out simply like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    The amendment is only important to the government.
    The right exists regardless of the amendment.

A better question would be, "why is the right important?"
    The right exists because you are a sentient being formed in the image of the divine, endowed by your creator with the will and means to defend your existence from all unjust threats.
    The founders recognized this, and chose to bind the government under this restriction.

The 2nd amendment is a wall intended to prevent unjust threat against the people; the breaching of which would prove detrimental to the government.
    With every passing year, another brick is chipped out of that wall. We look through the ever-growing hole, and shake our fists at the workers on the other side. We converse amongst ourselves and come to the conclusion that "the wall still stands, there's just a hole now", and we move on with our lives.

When will the hole grow too large?
    When will the wall come crashing down?
    When will the government be made to understand that the 2nd amendment was not written to protect us?
    It was written to protect them.
    My gut feeling is.....that hole will have to be big enough to drive a semi through before anything is done.
    And maybe not even then.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not advocating people take up arms against the government.
    Been doing an awful lot of thinking these past several months and it sure appears we are going to put up with a whole lot. Probably enough to the point of no return, if we aren't already there.
    inceptor and Prepared One like this.
    “Whoever would overthrow the liberty of a nation must begin by subduing the freeness of speech."

Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links