8000 veterans affairs employees..... - Page 2

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

8000 veterans affairs employees.....

This is a discussion on 8000 veterans affairs employees..... within the Political News and Topics forums, part of the General Discussion category; Originally Posted by Prepared One Good on Trump if it's actually improving conditions for our veterans. I see it was Gen. Mattis who recommended Wilkie ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: 8000 veterans affairs employees.....

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    Good on Trump if it's actually improving conditions for our veterans. I see it was Gen. Mattis who recommended Wilkie for the job. Those who served should never want for anything in terms of health care and that's one area I don't mind them spending our tax dollars.

I would be interested to hear from some of our veterans here. Is the process getting better? You can't turn a ship as big as the VA on a dime but would like to see some progress.
    Because of open heart surgery (opened up like a Thanksgiving turkey in Jan '08) the VA has an annual "watch" on my ticker, . . . the cardiologist is a good guy in my book.

Because of thyroid problems, . . . another annual "watch" on that thing. Both get looked at frequently with that sonic whatchamacallit.

My COPD, rosatia, and peripheral neuropathy meds all come in the white envelope every 3 months or 30 days, . . . providing I call in the the scrip.

That part of the VA, . . . I'll say I'm OK with, . . . even give a thumbs up at the way I'm treated here in Ohio.

But to deny that any of that was not caused by my time in Vietnam, . . . it still ticks me off, . . . none of my buds that stayed here in Ohio while I was over yonder, wound up with the stuff that I have to put up with.

I just figure one of these days the Agent Orange time bomb will go off on me, . . . my son will come on here and say sayonara for me, . . . and the gubmint won't have to put up with me any more.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

To dwight55, I'm sorry you had to see that side of life. I had good grades and simply walked into the UW-Madison and got a bed in one of their dormitories. I never signed anything, no one asked me for a single credential, and I spent 4.5 years doing nothing, learning precious little, and taking numerous young co-eds out on my Harleys.

Now, I worked to get there, for six crappy summers at The Master Lock Company. It's what boomers did, they "earned" their admission to the fraternity of 'young adults.' However, about the beginning of my junior year in Madison I started to see some of the boys who flunked out their freshman year. They re-entered the university under the G.I. Bill, but they were no longer the playful idiots I remembered.

This was simply one more facet of that "real life" I was told so much about.
    dwight55 likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

I have to say here in Jefferson, the VA treats me rather well. I have "Choice" but what is disconcerting is that I literally live 200 yards from the clinic, but must use choice. The agent orange bomb has not hit. But what has is two artificial knees and a hip at the age of forty and they not be service connected! 22 Pages of Medical Records with 18 being about my knees, but not service connected. Also I was diagnosed with a lung disorder 2007 but it was mentioned in my medical records in 1973. But they cured me of an incurable disorder. And of course never told me about it where I could have received treatment. As I said my LOCAL VA great. The rest not so.
    Last edited by Gunn; 11-12-2019 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Prepared One likes this.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum.
    NRA Life Member
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's to late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards" Claire Wolfe

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The Good Cop

I stay enrolled in the VA health care system in case any of the recognized Agent Orange diseases hit me.
    To do that I have to go once a year for a physical. Other than that I use my private insurance.
    If it came down to “use the VA or die “ I’d have to think about it.

To give you an idea of VA incompetence, each year they usually draw 4 vials of blood for the lab
    This year, only 2.
    One week later I go for my physical, and on the lab results there was no test done for PSA or A1C which are indicators for two AO diseases- prostate cancer and Type 2 diabetes.
    So, I had to go back again for another blood draw. This makes 3 trips to the clinic, at 1&1/2 hour round trip each time because of VA incompetence.
    Prepared One likes this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post
    I stay enrolled in the VA health care system in case any of the recognized Agent Orange diseases hit me.
    To do that I have to go once a year for a physical. Other than that I use my private insurance.

To give you an idea of VA incompetence, each year they usually draw 4 vials of blood for the lab
    This year, only 2.
    One week later I go for my physical, and on the lab results there was no test done for PSA or A1C which are indicators for two AO diseases- prostate cancer and Type 2 diabetes.
    So, I had to go back again for another blood draw. This makes 3 trips to the clinic, at 1&1/2 hour round trip each time because of VA incompetence.
    Thanks for the heads up, . . .

Gotta go in for mine soon, . . . will be checking on "what" they check.

I never knew what to look for, . . . at least I've got a start now.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by rice paddy daddy View Post

This year, only 2.
    I did not know diabetes (typeII) was a possible side effect. Wow, so it has hit. They can not figure out why I have it. Was diagnosed with it in 2007. 12 years later at the ripe old age of 67, I keep my A1c's at around 5.5.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum.
    NRA Life Member
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's to late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards" Claire Wolfe

As someone that was vocal about the bad VA. I know they have changed in the last 2 years. All for the good
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

The Good Cop

Quote Originally Posted by dwight55 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, . . .

Gotta go in for mine soon, . . . will be checking on "what" they check.

I never knew what to look for, . . . at least I've got a start now.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    The next time you go, tell them you want an appointment to be put on the VA Agent Orange Registry.
    This involves being given tests related to AO diseases, and also ensures that going forward that your blood work will include more than just "regular" things.
    You will probably be given a special chest X-ray, because AO lung cancer is different from the kind you get from smoking.
    They also did an ultra sound of my aorta - AO can cause "ballooning" of the artery walls.

And, they casually snuck in some PTSD related questions. I knew what they were fishing for, so I knew how to answer so they wouldn't pursue it any further.
    Given that the Democrats have for years tried to get legislation passed taking guns away from vets with PTSD, I DO NOT want to be on any list.
    Veterans who really have a significant issue with PTSD should ask for help, maybe.
    But, there are significant numbers vets who are scamming the disability system - and they may be in for a huge shock someday.
    I personally know a few.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links